• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Anyone removed the DEF system?

Ed Hryciuk

Sep 10, 2023
Truck Year
Has anyone removed their DEF system? I have heard that you get better mileage and power. Of course, I'm not sure about the legalities of that in your area.....

I'm sure the warranty is NUL if you do remove it.....

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Has anyone removed their DEF system? I have heard that you get better mileage and power. Of course, I'm not sure about the legalities of that in your area.....

DEF cannot affect mileage or power. The SCR is at the end of the exhaust system. All DEF does is neutralize the leftover NOx emissions. It is totally unrelated to the engine. You gain nothing by removing it

SeanPwnery

Nov 30, 2022
Truck Year
A good tune and a Banks intake will do wonders. The DEF injector is an afterthought. My intention was to stop what kills these engines by ridding myself of the EGR system and running the above, but the DEF injector doesn't really have to go.

Rockstr66

Jul 12, 2023
Truck Year

Hello Ed,
Yes, I recently removed the DEF system along with the EGR and EGR cooling system. The "delete" kit comes with everything you need and is pricey at around 2k. But after reading all the horror stories about what happens to these trucks, I decided that I wanted to depend on my truck.
Answer, the warranty will no longer be in effect, and you will not meet emissions requirements in many places. Luckily where I live there is no emissions testing.
Hope that helps.

Bob S.

Sep 1, 2016
Truck Year
Just did the complete delete and very happy with the engine response (no turbo lag), very little smoke detected on normal acceleration.
I have not done a long trip yet but on the HWY home it was running about 35 to 40 mpg (Imperial) and it just feels like a different truck. Greatly improve throttle response when passing at 70 mph.
Now if can just hold together for another 250,000 km I will be a happy camper!

Rockstr66

Jul 12, 2023
Truck Year
Hello Ed,
Yes, I recently removed the DEF system along with the EGR and EGR cooling system. The "delete" kit comes with everything you need and is pricey at around 2k. But after reading all the horror stories about what happens to these trucks, I decided that I wanted to depend on my truck.
Answer, the warranty will no longer be in effect, and you will not meet emissions requirements in many places. Luckily where I live there is no emissions testing.
Hope that helps.
I did the same thing as Ed, and agree with everything he said. My truck now runs great with no hesitation on initial acceleration. I am getting 27mpg around town and have yet to take a highway trip to see the mileage improvement if anything. If you get the Egr delete (part of the complete delete kit). One **caution** and I was warned about this from another owner!! There is a short pipe going to the EGR at the back of the engine that is to be blocked off with a plate provided in the kit. Do NOT block off at the TOP with the provided plate. Take the extra time to remove the pipe and block off at the bottom where it attached to the engine. Two of us looked at the pipe and figured it would not break. WRONG. After driving a few hundred miles pulling my travel trailer. The steel pipe ripped vertically like it was cut with scissors. Hot exhaust melted the cowl, rear engine harness cage, all intake piping, and the right inner fender liner. A very expensive decision not listen to my friends and to remove the pipe and block at the bottom.

willypeters124

Nov 1, 2023
Truck Year

Yup I removed mine and I get better fuel milage and power.

willypeters124

Nov 1, 2023
Truck Year

I can get up to 35miles to a gallon.

Bob S.

Sep 1, 2016
Truck Year
Actual HWY test today:
- 5 C out side, 3 passengers, box with canopy empty: 10% city / 90% HWY mostly flat terrain
- 294 miles driven, 10.5 Imperial gallons of fuel used
- Actual: 28 Imperial mpg = 10L/100 km
- Truck display indicated: 8.0 L/100 km = 35.3 Imperial mpg

A little disappointed the truck display is that far out but 28 mpg for a 6,800 lbs truck is not bad!

Francesco

Nov 2, 2023
Truck Year
Just did the complete delete and very happy with the engine response (no turbo lag), very little smoke detected on normal acceleration.
I have not done a long trip yet but on the HWY home it was running about 35 to 40 mpg (Imperial) and it just feels like a different truck. Greatly improve throttle response when passing at 70 mph.
Now if can just hold together for another 250,000 km I will be a happy camper!
Good to hear. I’ve heard that about the removal of that useless emissions system. And you get better fuel economy think about that. Emission system burns more fuel.

Francesco

Nov 2, 2023
Truck Year
I want to remove mine, but the 1,800-2,100 price tag 😐
I just priced out the downstream nox sensor. Only a touch over $500.00 + tax+scan+labour=????? That’s just one sensor. I replaced the def injector on my way to Florida last year and that only cost just under$2000. US funds!!!!!

Bob S.

Sep 1, 2016
Truck Year
Second HWY test of the deleted system:

- -5 C outside, 2 passengers, box with canopy empty, 5% city / 95% HWY mostly flat terrain

- 191 miles driven, at approximately 60 miles / hr, 6.5 Imperial gallons of fuel used

- Actual: 29.5 Imperial mpg or 9.6 L/ 100

- Truck display indicated 8.0 L/ 100 km or 35 mpg

(I will do another test in January/24 running loaded with approximately 1300 lbs of cargo in the truck at US Interstate speeds and warmer weather to finish this off !)

(EFI LIVE, Stage 1 Tune in the truck)

Francesco

Nov 2, 2023
Truck Year

- -5 C outside, 2 passengers, box with canopy empty, 5% city / 95% HWY mostly flat terrain

- 191 miles driven, at approximately 60 miles / hr, 6.5 Imperial gallons of fuel used

(I will do another test in January/24 running loaded with approximately 1300 lbs of cargo in the truck at US Interstate speeds and warmer weather to finish this off !)

Still great fuel economy and no BS to worry about

Bob S.

Sep 1, 2016
Truck Year

New four lane HWY run yesterday with the same conditions as before but at speeds of 75 to 80 mph for 398 miles.

Calculated fuel economy of: 28.3 mpg

That looks like that’s as good as it will get with the way this truck is setup.

The Trip Milage indicated was reading 10.1 l/100 or 28 mpg so it’s relatively accurate as compared to the continuous digital read out on the Speedo which is about 2 l/100 out to lunch!

Bob S.

Sep 1, 2016
Truck Year
Final two HWY runs on USA Interstates at 75 and 80 mph, truck load 1,300 lbs plus two people on board:
- Interstate 15: Nephi UT to Boulder City NV, 365 miles, calculated mileage 28.5 mpg Imperial (80 mph)
- Boulder City NV to Casa Grande AZ, 325 miles, calculated mileage 29 mpg Imperial (75 mph)

As I had indicated with trailer towing rear end in the truck that’s as good as it gets, pretty nice!
The lack of turbo lag and roll on power makes the truck amazing to drive, I should have done this 110,000 miles ago!

Francesco

Nov 2, 2023
Truck Year
Hello Ed,
Hope that helps.
Who supplies delete kits?