• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Anyone tracking def usage

flying7

Jul 15, 2014
Truck Year
I have around 15000 miles now and have added 2x 2.5 gallon jugs of DEF since I've owned it, am I on track or using to much?

flying7

Jul 15, 2014
Truck Year
update.. anyone else?

RamDiesel4

Oct 9, 2013
I really don't track it, I generally just poor a jug in when it gets a bit above the 1/3 tank mark. I Just like to be safe and keep it off the empty side!

Ramconvert

May 25, 2015
Truck Year
I have a little under 3500 miles and it's at a little more then a quarter tank used.

My daily commute is about 40 miles one way. 40% freeway (70mph) 40% local highway (50 - 60mph)
And 20% stop and go city.

I think your usage will very on your driving style and patterns. I typically drive pretty slow.

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
so yes I track def useage,
I found def consumption is massively affected by how clean the oil is and how sludged up the internal engine is.
I go 6000-7500 miles per 6-7 gallons of def, and that's under heavy duty useage,
also your gas mileage dictates how much you consume, the higher mileage you get the less youll use, but you don't want to use too little or the def injector will clog up,
I was very concerned about how much it would cost and how often I would have to fill up, but this truck is kick ass so far and I have 115,000 miles and its not even a big deal, especially since one of my co-drivers rented a 2015 duramax and 2015 cummins and he was using 2.5 gallons of def every night, and so was my dad in his service truck,
I think we are very lucky for how little we use.
also I let my guage get into the red before I fill it up at flying j or pilot.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
SAY WHAAAT???:eek::eek:

I believe that is extreme circumstances. The average owner of an EcoD, Dmax, PStroke, or Cummins will never experience that high level DEF consumption.

Ramconvert

May 25, 2015
Truck Year
I believe that is extreme circumstances. The average owner of an EcoD, Dmax, PStroke, or Cummins will never experience that high level DEF consumption.

I know. I was just trying to be funny. I used to drive a sprinter and Isuzu cube truck for work. I don't remember exactly how much def I used. Mostly because it wasn't me paying for it. But I don't remember it being as extreme as that.

One cool or irritating feature depending on how you look at it. Was the Isuzu, when it wanted to regen a light would pop up on the dash. Iirc you had about 200 miles to put it in park and press a button on the dash. The truck would automatically idle up. Like way up! For as long as it took to clean out the filter. Usually about 15 minutes.

You could interupt this if need be too. It was a pretty slick system.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I know. I was just trying to be funny. I used to drive a sprinter and Isuzu cube truck for work. I don't remember exactly how much def I used. Mostly because it wasn't me paying for it. But I don't remember it being as extreme as that.

One cool or irritating feature depending on how you look at it. Was the Isuzu, when it wanted to regen a light would pop up on the dash. Iirc you had about 200 miles to put it in park and press a button on the dash. The truck would automatically idle up. Like way up! For as long as it took to clean out the filter. Usually about 15 minutes.

You could interupt this if need be too. It was a pretty slick system.

Yea this whole cloak & dagger regen situation is irritating to me. The other day I found myself kicking it down to 7th on a flat 25 mile stretch to keep the RPMs above 1500 thinking maybe it could do its thing. Ironically, the instant MPG readout didn't even flinch nor did any of my gauges. Truck acted like it was perfectly content purring along at 1800 vs 1400 RPMs.