• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Anyone with good reports of an EcoDiesel?

Church

Mar 29, 2022
Truck Year
Hey guys,

I've been truck shopping for a few months now and looking into the ED, currently trying to buy a 2016 or newer. I am looking at a 2016 with 106 on it right now. I've been trying to get pictures of it from the dealer and finally did, decent looking truck. You guys have been a wealth of knowledge while I was lurking around finding EC reviews. I know most people do not come on forums to rave about how awesome something is but I wanted to check and see if anyone has a solid review. The truck I am looking at currently is waiting on a turbo replacement........ I am planning on adding on the extended warranty to get a few years of coverage just in case something major goes out.

Thanks again

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Bought a 2015 bighorn brand new, I have 62000 miles on it with about 10000 towing miles or so. It has several upgrades to make it mine. I have enjoyed ownership except for a couple inconvenient recalls. I have never seen a check engine light or "thrown a code." I do change oil every 7500 miles (with an oil analysis) and fuel filter every 15000 miles. My ownership experience has been great! There are others who will sing a different tune for sure!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Chruch, the VM3.0 is Hero or Zero Status. Now 106 Miles or Kilometers , 106 and needing turbo replacement likely means New Plenum. I would Not consider any 3.0 W/O OAs Trends, Just to risky.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Like Shadow above. Bought a 2016 bighorn brand new and It has several upgrades/mods to make it mine. It has been tuned since 2016. I've always used a good fuel and oil additive and do the maintenance myself. It's a low mileage daily driver of short hops, which is the worst treatment you can give an Ecodiesel. I monitor soot and regens and hit a freeway whenever it goes into a regen. There have been 2 or 3 occasions where I could not let it complete a regen, so I use an Edge CTS2 to cause a regen on the next ignition cycle.

Been a great truck, if it swallows an engine I'd put in a new one and keep it forever.

I have a 2020 3500 HO for my towing needs

Church

Mar 29, 2022
Truck Year
Chruch, the VM3.0 is Hero or Zero Status. Now 106 Miles or Kilometers , 106 and needing turbo replacement likely means New Plenum. I would Not consider any 3.0 W/O OAs Trends, Just to risky.

Sorry, 106k miles. Plenum is the Air intake right? I figured I would have to clean that or replace it. I'm going to talk to the dealer and see what it would cost to replace it since they already have the truck torn apart to replace the turbo. I plan on cleaning the diffuser tube if I get it and adding a GDE tune to it. What is OA's ?

Church

Mar 29, 2022
Truck Year
Like Shadow above. Bought a 2016 bighorn brand new and It has several upgrades/mods to make it mine. It has been tuned since 2016. I've always used a good fuel and oil additive and do the maintenance myself. It's a low mileage daily driver of short hops, which is the worst treatment you can give an Ecodiesel. I monitor soot and regens and hit a freeway whenever it goes into a regen. There have been 2 or 3 occasions where I could not let it complete a regen, so I use an Edge CTS2 to cause a regen on the next ignition cycle.

Been a great truck, if it swallows an engine I'd put in a new one and keep it forever.

I have a 2020 3500 HO for my towing needs
Mine will be used for pulling my 19' bass boat, minimum 35 miles one way. I would use it every now and again but honestly I may not hit 3000-5000 miles a year in use. Thank you for your review too, I plan on tuning what ever I buy.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Mine will be used for pulling my 19' bass boat, minimum 35 miles one way. I would use it every now and again but honestly I may not hit 3000-5000 miles a year in use. Thank you for your review too, I plan on tuning what ever I buy.
It won't even know that bass boat is back there. It will like 35 miles each way, gets up to regen temps and enough miles to complete.
I'm averaging 3883 miles a year, should last forever.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
OA Oil analysis....

JKCummings

Apr 3, 2022
Truck Year
Hey guys,

I've been truck shopping for a few months now and looking into the ED, currently trying to buy a 2016 or newer. I am looking at a 2016 with 106 on it right now. I've been trying to get pictures of it from the dealer and finally did, decent looking truck. You guys have been a wealth of knowledge while I was lurking around finding EC reviews. I know most people do not come on forums to rave about how awesome something is but I wanted to check and see if anyone has a solid review. The truck I am looking at currently is waiting on a turbo replacement........ I am planning on adding on the extended warranty to get a few years of coverage just in case something major goes out.

Thanks again
I've got a 2016. Had many annoying recalls but I love this truck. I got the Green Diesel Engeering Hot Tune and Transmission Tune. These are phenomenal products that make the truck's tuning what RAM should have made it from the start. Torque throughout the power band. My continued compliant is cooling during towing in summer up long grades. It will accumulate heat and go into limp mode if you push it. Granted, this is when I'm pulling my 7000 lb travel trailer. It loves the load, but RAM should have given this thing a bigger radiator. Consequently, I set my panel to monitor temperatures and watch them closely.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The only way to know if your love will continue is OAs, Otherwise it may change to hate.

Dec 14, 2015
Truck Year
Hey guys,

Thanks again
Hello Church I was surprised to read that a dealer was replacing a turbo on an EcoD truck you are considering. I am friends with the son of a dealership owner here in western Pa. that sold quite a few Eco diesels. He and the mechanic that does most of the EcoD work both told me they have never had to replace a turbo on one. My oil has been changed at or before 7,500 miles and I replace the fuel filter at every oil change. We have had issues of asphaltenes getting thru to the engine in this area, my mechanic advised me to change the fuel filter at 10k miles or less and I should have no issues. My truck has only let me down twice, the first was a dislocated tone ring on the flex plate, the second a faulty in tank fuel pump. Both issues were covered by the extended warranty on the drive line. I am very happy with my truck and have only used the Shell Rotella T6 oil my dealer uses in it. Since the dealer is replacing the turbo I would try to get a feel for how well the truck was maintained and used. I know some have used 15w40 oil in their trucks and it will work but the correct oil is a 5w40 full synthetic euro oil like the Rotella T6. since I started changing the fuel filter also at 7,500 miles I have not had a regen cycle occur, I am quite happy with that. Paul

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
since I started changing the fuel filter also at 7,500 miles I have not had a regen cycle occur, I am quite happy with that. Paul
Paul, all diesels with a DEF system regen unless you have done a full delete on the system. The ecodiesel will not tell you when it is happening unless you have an aftermarket monitoring system like the Edge Insight Monitor or an app and driver device that plugs into your OBD port.
Great advice on the oil service interval and good info on the fuel filter changes.

Well...
I just ordered a OA kit.
We shall see.

JK Cummings, remember 1 oil analysis doesn't really tell you anything unless it is incredibly dramatic. It is multiple O.A.'s that establishes what is happening in you engine over time.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Its OAs Trends, And You Never condemn any Power plant on 1 OA.

Attachments

• Blackstone_12_9_20_2015_3.0_ecodiesel.pdf
    67.5 KB · Views: 19

JKCummings

Apr 3, 2022
Truck Year
since I started changing the fuel filter also at 7,500 miles I have not had a regen cycle occur, I am quite happy with that. Paul
Paul, all diesels with a DEF system regen unless you have done a full delete on the system. The ecodiesel will not tell you when it is happening unless you have an aftermarket monitoring system like the Edge Insight Monitor or an app and driver device that plugs into your OBD port.
Great advice on the oil service interval and good info on the fuel filter changes.

Well...
I just ordered a OA kit.
We shall see.

JK Cummings, remember 1 oil analysis doesn't really tell you anything unless it is incredibly dramatic. It is multiple O.A.'s that establishes what is happening in you engine over time.
Thanks for that. I plan to start a regimen.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
To add to your good post.
Since 2012 all diesels have a DEF system and also regen. The DEF process and the regen process are individual processes. You can shut off the DEF system, and it will still regen It will always regen, both active and passive (unless you are deleted).

Last edited:

Frank246

Feb 20, 2019
Truck Year
Who knows what tomorrow may bring, but I've had no issues with my 2015, and my Blackstone reports seem pretty good. I only use Rotella T6 5W40 and change both the oil and fuel filters at 10,000 miles. Love the truck

Attachments

• 15 RAM 1500-220216 (2).pdf
    19.3 KB · Views: 19

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Frank246, Up to this point it looks like a hero, You will see levels (trends) raise if its goona puke...

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
I bought my 17 with 14,343 miles on the clock, I've done all the maintenance that it has received since that mileage, I change my oil at 6-8000 miles, depending on what life is tossing our way. I have used T6 until my last purchase when circumstances mandated something different, the fuel filter is changed every other oil change and I use Hotshots EDT every fill-up, I also add some Hotshots LX4 every few tanks, I'm a firm believer in added fuel lubricity through additives. I'm knocking at 50k and have had no issues, I'm running a stage one tune and considering going to stage two, in short, I really like my ECODIESEL.

msb1288

Apr 11, 2021
Truck Year
Hey guys,

Thanks again
Hello, I am on my second ED! I love it and highly recommend! My first one was. 2015 and had 208k miles when traded and my new one is a 2021 that I bought used with 6k miles. Guy had it before me didn’t like diesel apparently. New truck is great!
I’ve been a diesel tech for over 30 years and I am sold on the ED! Here’s the key….good and early maintenance. Don’t wait to do maintenance as the manual states. The extended service intervals are simply ways to promote sales and state low maintenance costs. This is not a good practice. Early is better - trust me. A little extra cost early on is much better than an unexpected failure. I have had no issues.
regarding the truck you’re looking at, I would be a bit concerned about previous maintenance. Suggestion, get the VIN and call a difference RAM dealer and ask for a copy of the warranty and any possible service records on file. Never hurts to ask. My 2015 with over 208k miles, never had any turbo issues. Food for thought.