• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Back up lights

John K Sr

Feb 24, 2017
Truck Year
I have a 2016 and would like to add some LED back up lights to it. I was thinking of tapping into the trailer wiring to get the back up light wiring, to avoid adding relays. Has anybody added additional back up lights to their truck and if so, how did you do it.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I mounted two 7" cubes/bars as backup lights and tapped onto the backup light wiring at the rear of the truck. Working fine, no problems.
Welded tabs onto the hitch tube to get the lights up high and further back. Here's a pic of the radio screen at night.

Lou

Jan 31, 2016
Truck Year
Instead of tapping into the wire harness you could just wire them into a 7 pin connector and plug into the trailer connector.
Also you could rplace the backup lamps with led's, I got mine from amazon and they help considerably.

AUXITO Error Free 912 921 T15 LED Bulbs 2000 Lumens Extremely Bright Newest CSP 9-SMD Plug and Play for Backup Reverse Lights, 6500K White (Pack of 2)
Price: $34.99

John K Sr

Feb 24, 2017
Truck Year
Hi John, I thought that tapping into the factory backup wiring would cause a problem with he CAN BUS, whatever that is.
I figured tapping into the 7 pin connector wiring would skirt that problem. I like the idea of welding tabs. I may do the same so as to try to keep the new lights as much out of sight as possible.
I was going to try the 4 bulb cubes that Harbor Freight currently has on sale for $20.
Hi Lou, I thought of that, but I didn't want to wire into a 7 pin plug because I didn't want to have it sticking out of the connector all the time.
Did the LED bulbs you put it really make a substantial improvement?
I feel that the factory backup lights are marginal in dry weather and completely useless when it's raining.
The halogen headlights preform pretty much the same, but that can be fixed if I want to spend a good size chunk of money and time.
I love my truck now if I could see where I'm going... :)

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I've had no CANBUS problems. Thought I might because they are cheap LED lights. Here's pic of a tab and of lights mounted.

John K Sr

Feb 24, 2017
Truck Year
They look great. Where did you get the lights?
How/where did you connect the new lights.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Where did you get the lights?
Can't remember, had them laying around for a while. Probably off eBay
How/where did you connect the new lights.
See post #2

John K Sr

Feb 24, 2017
Truck Year
I'll have to check out ebay for lights. Yours look better than the ones at Harbor freight.

Lou

Jan 31, 2016
Truck Year
Hi John, I thought that tapping into the factory backup wiring would cause a problem with he CAN BUS, whatever that is.
I figured tapping into the 7 pin connector wiring would skirt that problem. I like the idea of welding tabs. I may do the same so as to try to keep the new lights as much out of sight as possible.
I was going to try the 4 bulb cubes that Harbor Freight currently has on sale for $20.
Hi Lou, I thought of that, but I didn't want to wire into a 7 pin plug because I didn't want to have it sticking out of the connector all the time.
Did the LED bulbs you put it really make a substantial improvement?
I feel that the factory backup lights are marginal in dry weather and completely useless when it's raining.
The halogen headlights preform pretty much the same, but that can be fixed if I want to spend a good size chunk of money and time.
I love my truck now if I could see where I'm going... :)

Yes the led backup light replacement bulbs make a considerable difference.

TexasRed

Jan 13, 2020
Truck Year
Check out superbrightleds.com for vehicle specific lamp upgrades. They have a wide variety of options, fast shipping, good warranties and competitive pricing.