• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bio diesel vs non bio/mpg and oil change frequency?

Jerry L

Mar 23, 2017
Truck Year
I have located a station that sells non bio diesel. As I understand while reading the manual... It indicates the oil change frequency is reduced if bio diesel is used? I'm sure this has probably been asked and answered but...

Will the engine oil life reflect the use of non bio, bio or combination?
I believe the manual indicated/required a 5K oil change if using up to 20% bio...

Has anyone noticed a difference in mpg while running non bio #2 diesel?

If I need to relocate these questions please let me know.

Many Thanks!

John

Nov 13, 2015
Oil change interval is the same up to 20% Bio. The Oil Life indicator will not reflect differently depending on the fuel. It would be up to the owner to track mileage.

I have run fuel with only 3% Bio and didn't see any significant difference in MPG's.

The Bio blends offer additional lubricity over non bio fuel.

Jerry L

Mar 23, 2017
Truck Year
Oil change interval is the same up to 20% Bio. The Oil Life indicator will not reflect differently depending on the fuel. It would be up to the owner to track mileage.

I have run fuel with only 3% Bio and didn't see any significant difference in MPG's.

The Bio blends offer additional lubricity over non bio fuel.
Thank you!

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
I run a B20 blend that is an average of 30 cents a gallon less expensive. Than all the other stations around. I'll list below my averages with both. The statistics are over the last 28k on my truck. 16220 miles on straight diesel the rest is a B20 blend.

Diesel = 17.32 mpg average
Biodiesel B20. = 16.37 mpg average

Jerry L

Mar 23, 2017
Truck Year
I run a B20 blend that is an average of 30 cents a gallon less expensive. Than all the other stations around. I'll list below my averages with both. The statistics are over the last 28k on my truck. 16220 miles on straight diesel the rest is a B20 blend.

Thank you!

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year

I don't feel so bad, even with my tires those are the numbers I see on the low end. I think I had one 15MPG tank over the winter but even light towing Merritt's 16-17.

Jerry

Mar 2, 2016
Truck Year
Just for what it is worth. The fuel system needs to stay as clean as possible. I buy my fuel where they sell LOT of fuel. Anytime I pull in there will be at least 2 18 wheelers fueling. It has to be nice fresh clean fuel. If you are trying to run bio diesel or something recycled I think you are in the long run asking to have trouble. I do have their credit card that gives me 10 cents off. It's a Sunoco refueling depot with 6 pumps.

Hevster1

Oct 3, 2016
Truck Year
Do you really see mileage that low? I average 24-25 consistently. The lowest I ever had was 18+ going to Canada last year towing. For over 50 miles I was stuck in stop and go traffic which decreased the average quite considerably. I have over 40K on my truck.
Regarding the Bio usage, it depends on what kind of Bio you're using and what blend. If it's ASTM certified bio or blend, I would say you should be fine with a 10K oil change using the T6. If you're using a home brew or if WVO derived, I would probably sell the truck and look for an old 6.9 or maybe 7.3 if I wanted to use that.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Do you really see mileage that low? I average 24-25 consistently. The lowest I ever had was 18+ going to Canada last year towing. For over 50 miles I was stuck in stop and go traffic which decreased the average quite considerably. I have over 40K on my truck.
Regarding the Bio usage, it depends on what kind of Bio you're using and what blend. If it's ASTM certified bio or blend, I would say you should be fine with a 10K oil change using the T6. If you're using a home brew or if WVO derived, I would probably sell the truck and look for an old 6.9 or maybe 7.3 if I wanted to use that.
Absolutely, the only times I saw the MPG that you do is when all of my driving was under 65MPH along with factory installed highway tires, realistic speeds and driving habits, winter warm up times, general excessive idling, aggressive tires in my particular case, evic shows lifetime MPG's of 16.8-17.5ish, I can still see 21ish average with mostly 65MPH state highway driving but 18 is entirely realistic.

And in regards to towing MPG, 11-18 mostly dependant on weight and profile

Jerry

Mar 2, 2016
Truck Year
Just for what it is worth. The fuel system needs to stay as clean as possible. I buy my fuel where they sell LOT of fuel. Anytime I pull in there will be at least 2 18 wheelers fueling. It has to be nice fresh clean fuel. If you are trying to run bio diesel or something recycled I think you are in the long run asking to have trouble. I do have their credit card that gives me 10 cents off. It's a Sunoco refueling depot with 6 pumps.

Just another note I get 28 to 30 at steady 70 bare truck. 16 to 18 pulling a 6500 lbs. Travel trailer. I think you've got a real problem with the fuel you're using. Diesel but are everything.

Hevster1

Oct 3, 2016
Truck Year
Absolutely, the only times I saw the MPG that you do is when all of my driving was under 65MPH along with factory installed highway tires, realistic speeds and driving habits, winter warm up times, general excessive idling, aggressive tires in my particular case, evic shows lifetime MPG's of 16.8-17.5ish, I can still see 21ish average with mostly 65MPH state highway driving but 18 is entirely realistic.

And in regards to towing MPG, 11-18 mostly dependant on weight and profile

Wow. Tires wise I am running Nitto Terra Grappler G2's since 25K @ 42PSI. I generally do a 2-3 minute warm up in winter and I set my cruise for 75 on the highway. Most of my travelling is done via secondary roads @ 45-50 mph average. At 75 on the highway, I am averaging about 24-25 as I said before. I don't tow anything heavy, just a pair of ATV's with a 700 lb trailer, 2-3 times a year. I do have a tri fold on the bed. Honestly, if my mileage was that low, I would trade it on a Titan XD or an older 2500 series truck or purchase a Canyon Duramax.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Wow. Tires wise I am running Nitto Terra Grappler G2's since 25K @ 42PSI. I generally do a 2-3 minute warm up in winter and I set my cruise for 75 on the highway. Most of my travelling is done via secondary roads @ 45-50 mph average. At 75 on the highway, I am averaging about 24-25 as I said before. I don't tow anything heavy, just a pair of ATV's with a 700 lb trailer, 2-3 times a year. I do have a tri fold on the bed. Honestly, if my mileage was that low, I would trade it on a Titan XD or an older 2500 series truck or purchase a Canyon Duramax.
I have 65 series tires and m/t's, that are 60# a piece. And my winter warm up times are 10-25 min with a block heater. I have 1500+ hours on my engine and 1/3 is idle hours. Factor that in and my MPG is entirely fair

cevans

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year
To answer the OP question:

Biodiesel *may* leave increased contaminants in the engine oil, including contaminants that diesel fuel alone does not have. Engine oil is designed to handle a certain amount of contamination from the byproducts of diesel fuel combustion, but it is not designed to handle Biodiesel contaminants. Therefore, if you are running biodiesel you may want to run reduced oil change intervals.