• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Blown '14 Eco Diesel

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
OAs will allow time for decision(s)...We used them for years, never has a trend been false, also you do NOT condemn powerplants on 1 result, at times they are flukes. If the motor goes out of production you're really screwed, It's not like millions have been produced for the aftermarket to jump in.

I would start ASAP on the OA, it's the fumoto 106 (Drain Valve) that fits the 3.0VM oil drain port.

Mattwalsh506

Jun 25, 2022
Truck Year
OAs will allow time for decision(s)...We used them for years, never has a trend been false, also you do NOT condemn powerplants on 1 result, at times they are flukes. If the motor goes out of production you're really screwed, It's not like millions have been produced for the aftermarket to jump in.

I would start ASAP on the OA, it's the fumoto 106 (Drain Valve) that fits the 3.0VM oil drain port.
I usually get my oil changed at the dealer where still in warranty. Any links or info how to sample the oil for analysis? And when you say trends, what are you looking for between results ? Is it metals

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
You need trends to establish Motor health. Copper, Silver, Alum, Iron levels.

1656172693975.png

Mattwalsh506

Jun 25, 2022
Truck Year
so is there thresholds you’re looking to not exceed? Or you just don’t want to see the numbers creeping up between tests? I see the test lab gives you comments, do they tell you when to be concerned ?

I wonder if I can I get the dealer to send away for oil analysis when they do my next changes…or is there particular labs with ecodiesel experience….

Sorry for so many questions

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I would not trust anyone other than trained Techs for OAs... Big truck Shops have specific methods to gather the sample, The One Sample that shows High level of Sodium is because I did NOT brake clean My Fumoto Drain Valve and just the residual MN salt on the exterior surface on the valve from the road raised My level above normal.

Mattwalsh506

Jun 25, 2022
Truck Year
I would not trust anyone other than trained Techs for OAs... Big truck Shops have specific methods to gather the sample, The One Sample that shows High level of Sodium is because I did NOT brake clean My Fumoto Drain Valve and just the residual MN salt on the exterior surface on the valve from the road raised My level above normal.
Is this something I can do at home with a test kit from black stone or somewhere and the fumoto 106 you mentioned. I see it on Amazon for $30

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Is this something I can do at home with a test kit from black stone or somewhere and the fumoto 106 you mentioned. I see it on Amazon for $30
The fumoto valve is something you can install easily during your next oil change. It makes changing your oil and collecting samples easy and clean. Blackstone labs will send you free kits to send your sample in to them and they will e mail you the results.

Dream Big

Feb 1, 2017
Truck Year
Hi All,

I'm looking for insight, input, direction regarding my Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel. I am the original owner and it has 133K miles on it. The motor blew Christmas eve night while I was headed to meet the family for church. It happened quick - like in 1/8 of a mile. Started rattling loud, engine oil light came on and then some gremlin dumped their silverware drawer into my motor. Luckily I was going downhill and I was able to coast off onto a freeway exit. As bad as it was, the situation couldn't have been any better. I live in MN, but it was a mild 44 degrees and I was only five miles from my office where I could quickly get another vehicle (unfortunately not a RAM!). Three days earlier would have sucked since I was 250 mile northwest pheasant hunting and the day finished up at 2 degrees.

It has the extended warranty due to the emissions recall and modification update it had done in 2019. So I have another 15K miles left on the warranty or another 30 months - which ever comes first. The engine light had been on for about two days and it had come on about four days prior to that for part of day, but went off. It's happened in the past and it seems to typically be an egr thing and I've cleaned the tube in the past as well.

It went to the local dealership and not surprisingly they told me it would not be covered by warranty. They could put a new motor in for $16K or give me $500.00 for the vehicle - sweet! They had removed the oil pan and "found excessive material from the main and piston rod bearings." They also found a piston rod cap bolt on the bottom of the pan. The motor was seized so they couldn't do any further testing. Hence "the X78 warranty extension does not include the engine assembly or piston rods which is the cause of failure on this engine."

I've attached the dealer report as well as the warranty extension. Any advice is greatly appreciated. And if nothing can be done, I'll probably be looking for suggestions to find a used motor. I've done a little searching. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Steve
See if you can get a 2015 or newer engine.

Polymers

Apr 3, 2021
Truck Year
I traded my 2016 ED for a 2014 Toyota 4Runner and put $3,500 in my pocket. Did not want to take the risk anymore. Toyota 4Runners have the same transmission and motor for 12 years running. Built in Japan. One of the most reliable combos ever built. Joined a 4Runner forum and have yet to see anyone report a failed motor or tranny. It is nice not worrying about one of many failures associated with the ED. I miss the truck as it drove like a Cadillac and pulled really well, but did not want to be stranded w/o a vehicle. TC, thank you for all your help and insight. Good luck to all of you!

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
I for one wouldnt want the old generation ecodiesel replacement. why replace a bad design with the same bad design vs the newer generation where at least there were improvements?
THE NEW AND IMPROVED ONES R GOING BAD with the same problems high pressure pumps and egr