• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Blown engine at 50K

donner

Jan 3, 2020
Truck Year
I am new to this site but qualify as my 2016 EcoDiesel blew the engine at 50k. Noticed a strange sound , went to the dealer with the concern for a new sound, was dismissed as too obsessive. Any way they kept the truck, diagnosed as injector problem, replaced all 6 called to say problem solved and repaired, drove down to pick up and said the noise was the same only this time the injectors were installed incorrectly and gas was leaking into the cab. returned for repair and the SM said that FCA told them to tell me they did not know what was causing the noise and that I should drive it until it failed. Well it failed with my Airstream in tow on my vacation. How about that? Upon return to the dealer, was told that the knocking I reported was due to bearing failure on connecting rod. Think they could have diagnosed that one day one?

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
That is beyond a bummer! Did the SM put FCA's recommendation in writing?

donner

Jan 3, 2020
Truck Year
no his comments were verbal. So the lesson here is : do I sell at a loss and get rid of this or do I keep and just hope the failure happens again before the extra warranty expires? Or even more important is this: do I go ahead and have the emission reprogram performed and hope to get that $3k check or do I just keep the system as was originally factory. what do you think?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Over the deacades I don't keep vehicles that have risk above normal, The 3.0 is pegging the gage in abnormal rates.

Its like this, keeping a Girl friend that behavior is problematic expecting the problems to resolve itself, its best to take your looses and move on.

Servicing dealerships are equal to a guess your best show, that's not a show I would participate in.

Not to sound harsh it seems you were ignoring the warning signs hooking it up and pulling on your Vacation, Don't make that mistake twice.

TexasRed

Jan 13, 2020
Truck Year
I'm also new to this group and likewise, have a 2016 RAM Ecodiesel with 55K miles where the engine blew on Christmas day. The only thing I've towed is a 28' travel trailer, but only once since buying the truck 18 months ago. Luckily, the dealer is fulfilling their role and gave me a 2020 1500 Hemi as a loaner while they order and replace the engine under full warranty.

My question is...are they going to replace said blown engine with the same older version that has tons of known and verified issues and recalls, or with the newest 3rd generation engine (on the 2020 models) that sports a completely redesigned EGR system, better torque and HP along with improved fuel economy.

Any ideas?

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I'm also new to this group and likewise, have a 2016 RAM Ecodiesel with 55K miles where the engine blew on Christmas day. The only thing I've towed is a 28' travel trailer, but only once since buying the truck 18 months ago. Luckily, the dealer is fulfilling their role and gave me a 2020 1500 Hemi as a loaner while they order and replace the engine under full warranty.

My question is...are they going to replace said blown engine with the same older version that has tons of known and verified issues and recalls, or with the newest 3rd generation engine (on the 2020 models) that sports a completely redesigned EGR system, better torque and HP along with improved fuel economy.

Any ideas?
i am pretty sure the new engine won't fit in your truck. It is completely redesigned...

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
It won't be 2020 Engine. Most likely Long Block.
2014-19 is no longer in production. Owners with truck produce during those years are stuck with LB.

Another reason NOT to buy overseas Power Plants, If the engine is a Zero and pukes, local rebuilders will be rare.

TexasRed

Jan 13, 2020
Truck Year
Thanks for your insight TC. Being a new diesel owner what can I expect out of a new long block engine? Good, bad or indifferent performance issues, etc.

TexasRed

Jan 13, 2020
Truck Year
Finally got my truck back from the dealer yesterday. Evidently, FCA still is manufacturing ED engines that ARE NOT the completely redesigned 3rd generation versions going in the 2020 models. The original 2014 ED motor was an "AAxxxxx" serial number. According to my service manager (Nyle Maxwell Supercenter Austin) they have made slight changes and improvements over the years addressing known issues and problems. The current engine serial numbers are up to "AFxxxxxx". That is what they put in my truck. It carries a 3 year/100,000 factory warranty. It seems to drive ok brand new out of the factory, but time will tell. But it's still not completely immune to the EGR cooler failure as confessed by the dealer. As much as I love my truck and economy of the ED I'm probably looking to trade it for a Hemi or Cummins while it still has value and before I get stranded again, or worse, burn up on the side of the road.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I am really not sure why anyone wouldn't try and tune the engine before making the incredibly significant investment in a new truck. You might find it meets your needs just fine.

TexasRed

Jan 13, 2020
Truck Year
Doesn't tuning the engine void the factory warranty? How do I find a reputable shop to perform the tuning?