• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Buying Used... Oil Seepage?

acrididae

Feb 6, 2020
Truck Year
Hi. First time poster here.

I'm actively looking for a diesel outdoorsman. I've found a nice looking 2016 crew 6'4" with only 32K miles for a reasonable price. It has two issues that concern me. One, it is a Canadian import into the US and doesn't have a remaining warranty because of that. Two, I had it inspected by a mechanic who found oil seepage at the front of the engine (near what appears to be the timing case; I can only go by photos). The dealer says this is common in these engines at around these miles and that I shouldn't be concerned (though he thinks I should buy an aftermarket warranty just in case). Anytime I hear that kind of talk, I get wary.

Here's what it looks like:
LS_392334_3862260.jpg

What do you think? Is this common and at what point does it become an expensive gasket replacement? Would it stop you from buying a used vehicle if that was the only issue with the truck? Should I steer clear and bide my time for a better model, or is this the norm and not that big of a deal?

Thanks in advance.

8v71

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
Yea, odd for that kind of mileage. You might Try getting them to fix it as part of a deal or get an estimate to know where your at and cut that off the price. Is it just some loose cover bolts? They have the dye that they add to the oil and use an infrared light of some type that finds the source of the leak almost immediately, just a thought. The dealer is not wrong in his advice on after market warranty. You might get the VIN number and check out factory fixes and or unpublished factory warranty/recalls from FCA on that truck and/or call FCA, you might get lucky. Also check the engine rear oil seal, it leaks between the engine and the transmission, not uncommon.

The only time I have seen an oil leak heal itself, is when it ran out of oil.