• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Buying used with know EGR Value issues

CanuckTruck

Jun 6, 2020
Truck Year
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here and hopefully won't be my last.

I went to a local dealership today to test drive a used 2017 1500 ecodiesel with 48,000 km (~30k miles). During the test drive the engine overheated twice - and it was a short drive, quick sprint on the highway, some loose cornering and on my way back I got the temp notification.

I've discussed this with the dealership and apparently the shop knew about this and already had an EGR valve on order and were waiting to install it but this wasn't communicated to the sales floor.

I guess my question is, would I be ruined if I ended up buying this truck? The rest is in great shape, and it has very few km's for the year, but clearly the EGR issue is looming and honestly I don't know anything about this or how it's going to play out.

Thanks for any input. They're great trucks and I'd love to be a part of your community.

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
I bought my 17 on December 30,2019, the EGR cooler issue/recall was revealed(as it should have been), I've had no problems at all, the cooker isn't leaking yet, I checked on the mopar site & it says parts are available, but it seems that most are being told that it can't be replaced if it ain't leaking, sounds like a load of baloney to me, it's listed as a safety recall. I love mine, everything about it except the throttle lag, I put a srint booster & it helped a lot but still has a little. I would strongly advise an edge cts 2 or 3, or a scangauge 2 programmed to monitor regens, these little motors don't like city life because of the regen issues. I plan on tuning mine soon to finally kill the dead pedal, probably going with SFT. Make sure they take care of the overheating issue mine runs just under halfway on the factory gauge, that equates to 208*F on my CTS, it just died unfortunately, I'm waiting for the sale of a piece of equipment to replace it & tune it.

Last edited:

CanuckTruck

Jun 6, 2020
Truck Year
Hey Cavemann,

Thanks for your input. I'm still hesitant on pulling the trigger on this truck, I told them to give me a call after they've done the maintenance and replacement and I'd take it for another drive.

I'm obviously worried that it'll end up being a lemon but according to the carfax report it's only had one owner and only been in for standard servicing.

Guess I'll wait and see if they can negotiate on the price a bit and how it drives after the replacement.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
If the price can overcome the risk, So that would mean it would have to be a steal of a deal. OK here's what I would consider a steal 30K miles loaded Laramie in mint condition not a nickel above $25,000.00. US

What's the relationship the EGR has to do with over heating? IMO this engine has other problems.
My sig say's it all.