• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Camshaft timing tools

67_Valiant

Feb 9, 2020
Truck Year
I'm looking at the real possibility that I need to remove one of the cylinder heads on my 05 Ecodiesel to extract a broken glow plug. I'm wondering (for those who have gotten into these engines), are you using the factory camshaft timing tools to reassemble?

VM.10338-1 - Timing Tool, Camshaft (Right)
VM.10338-2 - Timing Tool, Camshaft (Left)
VM.10339 - Tool, Crankshaft Timing

They appear to be about $750-$1000 each, and I have to think there is a universal tool or some other way to avoid spending $2000 for tools I will likely use once. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
My daddy used to tell me "IF YA AIN'T GONNA USE YOUR HEAD, YOU BOUT AS WELL HAVE TWO ASSHOLES", that just happens to ring very true, I'm sure a little thought will come up with an idea at least, at best a solution.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
They sell a tool for removing broken glow plugs and its very reasonable. Amazon.com

67_Valiant

Feb 9, 2020
Truck Year
They sell a tool for removing broken glow plugs and its very reasonable. Amazon.com
Thanks for the suggestion. I had purchased a basic kit, but was not able to get it to go in on the centerline of the glowplug because the cowl is interfering (#2 glowplug). It's probably worth it for me to try again with the deluxe kit. Maybe it's got some better options.

Last edited:

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
iwould try try again I think the cab has to b lifted to remove cyl heads???????

67_Valiant

Feb 9, 2020
Truck Year
That's what I've heard too. AllData's procedure says to drop the transmission and transfer case, so seems like it's ugly no matter how you slice it!

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
A DEALER CAN REMOVE THEM IT IS ALOT CHEAPER than the gaskets get a price from them

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
Another old saying goes "right tool for the job"
As an automotive tech since 1974 I can honestly say that if I bought a special tool every time the factory said to I could fill a 100,000 sq ft warehouse, sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.