• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Catastrophic engine failure

Gouligan

Feb 28, 2019
Truck Year
I've a 2014 Ram EcoDiesel with 190000 km on it. While towing a 3500lb camper trailer the engine started a rattling sound. By the time I got pulled over to the shoulder it was not making any sounds. This was on a Hwy in North Ontario. It wasn't the end of the world but I could see it from there. $1000 of towing and Chrysler dealer kindly offered to replace the engine on it for $21,000. Said the oil pan was full of shrapnel. I bought the truck intending to keep it a long time and thought a diesel engine would be a good thing. I would not recommend anyone buy or keep one of these junkers after warrantee expired.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
You joined the puked and/or the Hero Zero Club, No surprise to Me.

coal port

Jul 9, 2021
Truck Year
I was wondering what kind of oil you were using. The eco diesel requires 0 to 40 oil with a high deterrent clean in it to clear the journals.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Thanks for that info. Please post the Dealers Name, So owners can beware that Dealer is using O-40w.

My 2015 had 2 Main bearings undersized, 0-40 would have caused premature wear, Ram had the exact size bearing I needed so I replaced it with correct size.

coal port

Jul 9, 2021
Truck Year
A letter was sent out from chrysler to use shell rotella 5-40. Since then shell has come out with a 0-40 which is much better. The problem is the oil journal is to small where it meets the camshaft. o oil is able to lube better.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
If VM is machining tolerances too 0w ( VM Motori does NOT have the equipment to Machine to near 0w in the rats nest the VM 3.0 is produce at) you will have premature wear, ALL Fiat is doing is pushing the failure pass warranty. Gas engine rotate at HIGHER RPMs so 0w works for MPG reasons only, gas engines are not expected to live pass 300K miles.