• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Catastrophic failure

Wahamilt27

Aug 29, 2023
Truck Year
2018 eco with 54000 miles. I haven’t made it to the dealer yet but something major has come apart. Crash, bang, clang type of stuff, and of course will not run. I have heard the bottom end has been a problem along with crank sensor, fuel pump blowing apart, etc. what the heck is going on? I bought this used from the dealer, still under warranty but I’m not sure I want to keep this piece of crap. Recalls with no fixes, power plants blowing the bottom end, EGR! I’m not happy and would love To get all my money back, but nobody wants this crap and it is worth nothing in the current market.

Wahamilt27

Aug 29, 2023
Truck Year
So am I the only person that has had a catastrophic failure? Needs new long block $16,000 . It should be under warranty but now If I keep it I’ll always wonder when it’s going to leave me stranded Again.

Wahamilt27

Aug 29, 2023
Truck Year
I’m really surprised there are not more owner’s running into the same issue.. from what I have been reading, this is a known issue, and there is 60 day back order on the long blocks. Thanks for letting me know my post was in fact posted.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Well you are not alone, type in engine failure in the search and you will see the eco has had its fair share of issues.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
FCA own admission back in 2016, 10,000s of 3.0 have puke over the last 9 Years, it simply a Hero or Zero....
1694313620261.png

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I have a 2015 with 80,000 miles and have had no issues. I pull a 24 foot enclosed trailer a lot.
lots of ecodiesels are trouble free, count your blessings! Mine has been perfect except for a couple missteps by inexperienced techs at the dealer!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The bar is so Low that a Motor that has 80K is considered good, Yep it's a blessing! it's been OK IMO, NO VM 3.0 is issue free, the settlement, ALL the recalls, alone disqualified the VM 3.0 from claiming its issue free.

BWill

Jun 26, 2020
Truck Year
So am I the only person that has had a catastrophic failure? Needs new long block $16,000 . It should be under warranty but now If I keep it I’ll always wonder when it’s going to leave me stranded Again.
My 2016 Ecodiesel with 114,000 miles (only 33,000 under my ownership) lost oil pressure back in July. It has been at the dealership since waiting for a new engine. I call every week but nothing but excuses - FCA holding back engines to determine why they are failing, now it is the UAW strike. Definitely frustrating.

Ecodiesel18

Aug 11, 2023
Truck Year
I’m really surprised there are not more owner’s running into the same issue.. from what I have been reading, this is a known issue, and there is 60 day back order on the long blocks. Thanks for letting me know my post was in fact posted.
Same here. 2018. 52000 miles best oil no towing ect. Failed. That date will keep getting pushed 30 days then 60 then 90 then no date for a while. Been in shop from 4/23 to 9/23. Finally got it back with new engine under warranty!! Mopar had no replacement new engines, then was told they were sitting in a warehouse for bulk shipping, then told i was 9/36 engines all were bad so final options they stopped using mopar engines for ecodiesel and use US engines out of Ny to build them and took 3 weeks after waiting 5 months to build one and dealership put in and finished in about one week. Problem is only warranty 1 year and not labor coverage. Labor alone was 7800$ and total bill was 35000$. I didn’t get the exact copy submitted to mopar/stelantis but i just got the no charge sheet on what was done but i did read through actual bill. Warranty or not getting stranded miles from home and worry about bad crank is not fun. I may get mopar extended warranty. Wished they could have fitted and gave me the ecodiesel 3 latest one. Not many issues with that. My final warranty ends soon mid October. Bottom end crank failure.
image000000.jpeg

Just unacceptable for any engine especially a diesel well taken care of. And i was a first time Stelantis customer.

Ecodiesel18

Aug 11, 2023
Truck Year
My 2016 Ecodiesel with 114,000 miles (only 33,000 under my ownership) lost oil pressure back in July. It has been at the dealership since waiting for a new engine. I call every week but nothing but excuses - FCA holding back engines to determine why they are failing, now it is the UAW strike. Definitely frustrating.
They know why they are failing but just dont seem to care taking the cheaper route. They are not telling dealership this is how we are beefing up crank or making improvements . At a minimum they should be putting in a stronger crank. Tell them that some dealerships are using US engines in Ny as a warrantied engine. You will get it in 3-4 weeks then. Most all crank, rod bearings and so many people on here did not even come close to abusing engines to cause it. They should not even put these back in. I had a 2018 and by then they had enough data to determine a better fix from 2014, but still allowed this engine to be put in and sold it. Just embarrassing r and d and embarrassing for a diesel engine. This is like the 1950s. Never heard of so many of the same engines failing without loading them or stressing especially a diesel. Mine failed driving 25mph!

offgridcabin

Oct 16, 2023
Truck Year
2018 eco with 54000 miles. I haven’t made it to the dealer yet but something major has come apart. Crash, bang, clang type of stuff, and of course will not run. I have heard the bottom end has been a problem along with crank sensor, fuel pump blowing apart, etc. what the heck is going on? I bought this used from the dealer, still under warranty but I’m not sure I want to keep this piece of crap. Recalls with no fixes, power plants blowing the bottom end, EGR! I’m not happy and would love To get all my money back, but nobody wants this crap and it is worth nothing in the current market.
It's NOW time to put up videos on Utube with the type of failure your truck has had... EVERYONE with a failure of any type needs to have it documented and film the truck and the failure...and the cost, what FCA is doing should be illegal, these were never engineered properly in the first place. Just my opinion. I'm still waiting for a high pressure pump recall part to come in...

Ecodiesel18

Aug 11, 2023
Truck Year
Agree with the bad engineering and R and D. Just heard from dealership Pump may finally be made early Jan per my local dealership. We all should get ecodiesel 3 with whater modifications were needed to make it fit and run on jeeps gc or rams or buyback for all these failures for sure. Ill at least keep posting this below. Snapped or broken crankshaft. 52000 miles.

Attachments

• image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    336.9 KB · Views: 4

Ecodiesel18

Aug 11, 2023
Truck Year
As some have mentioned Jan 2024 Mopar has produce more ecodiesel engines for those who have failures or multiple failures. I finally got my 2018 jeep ecodiesel back from dealership today in Jan 2024. Just to review crank cracked 4/23- no engines until 9/23 (remanufactured non mopar but still under warranty) it failed 3 weeks later (was not put together and bottom end went bad again). Engine as with most people failed with perfect care and maintenance. At dealership 10/23-1/24. Software and battery replaced again fortunately all under warranty due to lengthy fix time and bringing back. Overall dealership has been good in end of the day as far as no fees out of my pocket. Waiting for VM/Mopar to get new engines was the issue. Hopefully everyone has a reliable motor now 2024 and never has another failure again. Thanks for all the advice. Keep bothering jeep cares than can do goodwill to save you some money but you have to stick with it often for months.