• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Cold EcoDiesels

murrrphh

Sep 7, 2016
Truck Year
I'm curious as to everyone's cold weather start up routines. Do you let your truck idle a bit? Plug in? I typically plug in below freezing and usually let it idle a for a few minutes. With the rotella and a cold engine, I usually see oil pressure anywhere from 45-55 psi on start up. Once it's warm, she gets back down to her normal 17-19 pounds.

Day Trippin

Jul 20, 2016
Truck Year
You realize the oil pressure gauge EVIC (if factory) is bogus and gives no really accurate info. It isn't the real value but one just there to give you some idea but not entirely accurate. Now if you went with the GDE tune and use their oil pressure sender then you'd have accurate info. You could also take advantage of their high idle option as well for faster warmup.

As for plugging in, I plug in all my cars once below 40F. It may cost me a few pennies of electricity but save a lot of wear and tear on the motor.

murrrphh

Sep 7, 2016
Truck Year
You realize the oil pressure gauge EVIC (if factory) is bogus and gives no really accurate info. It isn't the real value but one just there to give you some idea but not entirely accurate. Now if you went with the GDE tune and use their oil pressure sender then you'd have accurate info. You could also take advantage of their high idle option as well for faster warmup.

As for plugging in, I plug in all my cars once below 40F. It may cost me a few pennies of electricity but save a lot of wear and tear on the motor.
Yes I understand that and I only use it for reference. Regardless of the unit being bogus or not, anyone who made the switch to rotella will see higher oil pressure in a cold engine inherently

Day Trippin

Jul 20, 2016
Truck Year
I wouldn't think it would vary that much if they are both 5w oils. They should both flow very similarly if they are 5w rated. So how much of a change are you seeing compared to before with the original oil spec?

murrrphh

Sep 7, 2016
Truck Year
I wouldn't think it would vary that much if they are both 5w oils. They should both flow very similarly if they are 5w rated. So how much of a change are you seeing compared to before with the original oil spec?
5w30 is thinner than 5w40 so the 40 will take a little longer to get up to temperature. The thicker an oil is the longer it will take to get to its warmer, less viscous state. That being said, I noticed the change in pressures(just the dash reading) upon first start up after change the oil when I went from the euro blend to the shell. The change is PSI is only significant when the oil is cold though. So once the truck is warm my idle and running readings are similar

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Right, because they are both 5w at temp. But when it's cold, I don't recall the exact temperature they use, but one is 30 weight and the other 40. So cold thickness/viscosity is significantly different. But hot oil it still comes out as 5w

markgyver

Sep 9, 2016
Truck Year
The 5w 40 has the same cold temp viscosity as 5w-30.
the W stands for winter not weight.the second number 30 or 40 is the hot viscosity.