• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

COLD - starter won't engage

jokirkev

Jan 2, 2021
Truck Year
The truck acted normal when I pushed the start button OTHER than the starter would not engage. I plugged in the block heater and tried it every couple of hours to no avail. The next day the dash was reading water temp of 80 and the truck started as if summer - even though it is still around 0 degrees Fahrenheit .

Does our truck have a limiter' that refuses to engage the starter if water temp is below a certain temperature???

I don't have any fault codes.

pcravens

Jul 6, 2023
Truck Year
my truck does the same thing. but mine will do it in summer also. will not remote start or from button. everything comes on , pumps , glow plugs all lights but will not try to start. i ended up buying a remote start switch and when it does it I can hook the power cable up from the remote on the positive battery terminal and i put a blade style terminal on the other cable , I unplug the starter relay and plug the blade into the center back terminal and she fires right up. i have had to use this setup 10 to 15 times in the last 6 months.

Fuelie

Mar 23, 2023
Truck Year
Mine started just fine at -14 a couple of days ago. How old is your truck?
Tom

jokirkev

Jan 2, 2021
Truck Year
Hi Tom, mine is a 2017. Since it started after plugging in the block heater for about 24 hours - it fired up and hasn't failed since.

Rjg520

Mar 18, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
my truck does the same thing. but mine will do it in summer also. will not remote start or from button. everything comes on , pumps , glow plugs all lights but will not try to start. i ended up buying a remote start switch and when it does it I can hook the power cable up from the remote on the positive battery terminal and i put a blade style terminal on the other cable , I unplug the starter relay and plug the blade into the center back terminal and she fires right up. i have had to use this setup 10 to 15 times in the last 6 months.
I have a 2018 that is doing to same thing. I’m trying to figure out witch of the control boards are not working. I am taking a start relay apart to try and find if it is the positive or negative to the start relay that is not there and causing no crank. I mean I’m going to put test points from relay to try and figure out. Are u still just jumping to get going or did u figure it out

pcravens

Jul 6, 2023
Truck Year
My truck starts fine most of the time. Then I might go out n it won’t start n I have to hook up the remote to start it. It’s done it when it’s hot outside and cold outside. As soon as it warms up I’m just going to wire a push button inside my cab so if it don’t start I don’t have to raise the hood n hook it up. If u figure it out please let me know