• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Cold weather (-5 to 20 degrees fuel issues

20Ram20

Oct 16, 2019
Truck Year
Hello all,
I’m shad tree mechanic, never own or worked on diesels. Looking to buy the 2020 1500 ecodiesel, live in PA, and have concerns about fuel gel, I know that they run winter fuel blend , base on the average temperature, should I still use additive’s for gelling or will I be ok with the blend. Would appreciate your feedback. Thank.

John

Nov 13, 2015
The winter blend at the pump should be fine although it wouldn't hurt to use something like stanadyne performance formula or winter 1000.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
welcome 2 the group I have used red off road fuel oil in rams for years even in my mb 300sdl never added nothing with the eco u have a lot more to worry about other than jelling

20Ram20

Oct 16, 2019
Truck Year
Thank’s for the input John.
Hello CarlHenry, what else should I be concern with?

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
the new egr this engine so far has been nothing but problems we will see very shortly I have a 2018 total delete but most people only worry about their warranty what good is the warrenty when fmc can not fix the ecos that have been our for 5 yrs

John

Nov 13, 2015
the new egr this engine so far has been nothing but problems we will see very shortly I have a 2018 total delete but most people only worry about their warranty what good is the warrenty when fmc can not fix the ecos that have been our for 5 yrs
The 2020 is a horse of a different color. I wouldn't be overly concerned about the EGR.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
and I wonder y really I don't he posted about the new egr being horrible for it was tried by others and it was a problem

John

Nov 13, 2015
Well the order banks just opened for the 2020 ED so I doubt tc has any first hand knowledge. The EGR operates post DPF whenever possible and the soot returned to the engine is reduced considerably.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
when they start selling a tune for it I will buy one NOT BEFORE

tereeves

Dec 29, 2019
Truck Year
Hello all,
I’m shad tree mechanic, never own or worked on diesels. Looking to buy the 2020 1500 ecodiesel, live in PA, and have concerns about fuel gel, I know that they run winter fuel blend , base on the average temperature, should I still use additive’s for gelling or will I be ok with the blend. Would appreciate your feedback. Thank.
Use FPPF. I used it in -20 temps in PA with no issues. Other drivers not using it had gel issues.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Hello all,
I have used several products, some that I thought were good I have found to not be the case. With that said I have settled on the Opti-Lube line of products. Their Winter product is excellent for anti gelling and lubrication of fuel system, their Summer product is more toward system lubrication. With two eco family I buy the gallon pump bottle. About 4oz per 16gl fill. Yes try to fill at half tank, saves lift pump from high heat and reduces condensation in the fuel tank. My only concern is they do not use an emulsifier but use a demulsifier which separates the water and it is caught in the filter, which has caused me to change the fuel filter more often than the recommended cycle.

The Winter fuel blend should cause you no problems as both types of Diesel are now Ultra Low Sulpher, #1 Diesel has a lower gel point, so mixing the two results in a lower gel point #2 Diesel. At the pump you may see the words Winter Blend which is the mix of the two fuels or Winterized, which is the blend with an additive to alter the gel point even further.