• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Convince me please...

Gunpackingsaint

May 21, 2016
Truck Year
Hi everyone, I own a 2016 Ram 1500 4X4 Lonestar Ecodiesel with 12k miles on it and owe $34K on it. I'm eyeing a 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie Mega Cab 4X4 duelly w/9K miles that appears to be loaded to the teeth for $46K.

I put 40 miles on my truck each work day and tend to fuel twice a month. I owned a Tundra CrewMax prior to this and my kids noticed the cab shrink a bit when I transitioned to the 1500 so that's why I'm looking at that 3500.

Should I make the jump or not?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
DRW VS ED ride no thanks, Bouncing around in the DRW for 40 miles a Day Plus all the other added in convinces DRW brings for just space ,may not be worth it, Is the Lonestar CC/LB

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I wouldn't give up a coil spring ride for a 1 ton with any commute. No way

Day Trippin

Jul 20, 2016
Truck Year
I'm with TC Diesel on this. You will give up a massive amount of road comfort by going DRW. Unless you really need that carrying capacity I'd look for something else. If a CC w/long box, you'll need a country mile to turn that thing around. You better have a huge garage too. Those fat hips make it more challenging in traffic too.

At the end of the day, to each their own. If you just need more interior room, look for a crew cab EcoD. I've got 3 adult children that 2 of them are Nebraska Cornhusker farm-boy sized and they all fit in my CC EcoD.

As for reliability of the Cummins, you still have to deal with all the emission crap issues. I think this is one that sounds better on paper than it would in real life for you. Go take that DRW unloaded down some crappy back roads and see what you think. I won't go into the hit you'll take on mileage but you probably already thought about that.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
If you went from the biggest cab in a Toyota to a quad cab Ram, yea I see the complaint. The QC is nothing more then an extended cab. Don't let the door fool ya, they're short. But the crew cab is plenty spacious for 4/5 adults. So unless you need it, stay in the half ton CC flavor vs a Mega ton.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Gunpackingsaint

May 21, 2016
Truck Year
DRW VS ED ride no thanks, Bouncing around in the DRW for 40 miles a Day Plus all the other added in convinces DRW brings for just space ,may not be worth it, Is the Lonestar CC/LB

Yes, the Lonestar is a CC. Truth is I've never owned a DRW and I imagine maintenance cost and insurance will likely go up as well. My ED is good to me and haven't had issues with it.

I'm thinking about looking at a Ford Supercrew 4x4 2.7 that is on sale for 34k. I don't tow anything but right now, should I have a need to, I can rely on the ED.

I'm also looking to get better financing. I don't know what I was thinking, but I came from 0% interest off my Toyota for 5.9 with CC. Maybe Ford's current incentives can get me that 0 again. I could refinance through local CU but at 2.9%. Not really digging that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gunpackingsaint

May 21, 2016
Truck Year
You're Gonna Lose Your Butt On A New trade. 2.9% Is Great
Just got back from the Ford dealership. Test drove a 2.7L 4X4 XLT stickered at 37K and then saw a 5.0L Fx4 for 40K.

Kids jumped in the back and immediately noticed the difference in cab space (Tundra-like). We took the XLT for a test drive and it did good and felt great up until we hit the stop light and it shut down. Turns out the 2.7 shuts down and in South Texas that's a bad thing when that A/C goes from max setting to like a one or less. I hate that so that's not going to fly. Yes there's a button to deactivate that but you have to hit that every time you start the pickup.

When we got back I took a look at the FX4 and that's a sweet truck, but for the price, essentially 6k more than what I paid for my ED, it doesn't compare. How does 49K stickered truck not have that or navigation? My ED has the power mirrors that fold in at a touch of a button, navigation, trailer brake, parking sensors up front... I could go on, but in the end, the salesman said I needed to be happy and the truth is, I am with the ED. I wanted to get more space for the kids but they're not in my truck but an hour a day.

I guess I needed to get in that Ford to appreciate what I have. The wife's CU is offering 1.9% so it looks like we'll be stopping by soon.

Appreciate everyone's feedback!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

6.73.0 ram

Aug 7, 2016
Truck Year
I have an srw 3500. You get use to the bigger turning radius and parking out at the end of the parking lot. Look at it this way more exercise from walking to the store. Lol.
My wife has a ecodiesel Laramie. Rides much better but feels like a girly truck compared to mine. Lol

Day Trippin

Jul 20, 2016
Truck Year
I've had enough of rough riding trucks in my lifetime. I used to drive a dump truck on our farm. That sucker would make you feel like you would pee blood when drove it for more than a few miles unloaded. Felt like I was getting kidney punched ever bump I'd hit.

I'll take the nice riding EcoD over any other truck I've driven when it comes to ride comfort. Now if that new Mercedes truck pans out I am sure they'll do something pretty remarkable in the ride quality area for sure.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I've had enough of rough riding trucks in my lifetime. I used to drive a dump truck on our farm. That sucker would make you feel like you would pee blood when drove it for more than a few miles unloaded. Felt like I was getting kidney punched ever bump I'd hit.

I'll take the nice riding EcoD over any other truck I've driven when it comes to ride comfort. Now if that new Mercedes truck pans out I am sure they'll do something pretty remarkable in the ride quality area for sure.
Hell yeah! Think we'll get some old school Mercedes hydraulic suspension revamped from the S and CL?? That could make a seriously impressive truck system. It'd beat air bags for comfort and adaptability.

Day Trippin

Jul 20, 2016
Truck Year
The roads suck here in Minnesnowtah compared to other places I lived. I can't wait to move out of here but in the mean time I'd like to keep the fillings in my teeth and not be pounded to heck b the roads and rough riding vehicles.

One of the best riding cars I've owned on the roads here was my S class MB. One of the worst was a Mini Cooper S and a 3/4 ton truck. Hit some bumps in the middle of a turn and they both would start skipping across the road toward the ditch.

The MB had very compliant but well controlled suspension with a good amount of travel. The Ram 1500 is the closest I could find to that in a pickup. Even my son (who isn't a truck kind of guy) remarked that our Ram rides better than most of the other cars we own or owned.

Aug 28, 2016
Truck Year
If you're looking for a reason to keep your ecodiesel, Just sit down and figure the difference is the fuel you will spend between the new vehicles and the difference in the sticker price which should come to at least 15k. Tell you wife you need to take 15k out of the kid's college fund to buy a new, more manly truck that you really don't need and won't fit in the garage. She will say no, and the decision will be made. As far as interest rates, shop around. Most banks would buy that loan in a heart beat and drop at least 3 points.

upnovr

Nov 2, 2016
Truck Year
Duallies are great and ride real nice....when you have 20,000 lbs behind one. As for a DD, don't do it! But man I do miss my Mega cab. So much room back there, but I think I'll get more use out of my Ram boxes. How about a ED 1500 4X4 megacab with ram boxes, one can only dream

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Duallies are great and ride real nice....when you have 20,000 lbs behind one. As for a DD, don't do it! But man I do miss my Mega cab. So much room back there, but I think I'll get more use out of my Ram boxes. How about a ED 1500 4X4 megacab with ram boxes, one can only dream
It's been a long time since ram has done a 1500 Megacab. It would be nice. You sure won't see a standard box behind one though. It'd definitely be limited to to a mini 5'7 box

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I actually looked into getting a 6 door stretch out of my ecodiesel. But $45,000+ is a big number to choke down. Albeit a $9,000 set of Longhorn seats doesn't help it much ;)

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
What inconvenience?
Parking, lane changes, garageability. Those hips can get in the way. I mean everyone gets Used to what they are driving but a straight SRW is more comfortable to get accustomed to.