• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Coolant Leak in Back of engine.

Scatpack1

Oct 30, 2019
Truck Year
Have a 2015 Eco Diesel with 144,000 miles. So let me say I have owned this truck since 2017. And I Love the truck, BUT these poor design issues are getting the best of me.
I have a bad coolant leak in the back of the engine. Dealer said it was the bango hose that goes from the top side of the block, to the bottom of the turbo charger. Dealer wants over $4000 to replace this 8 inch hose. He also said they had to remove the intake, remove the injectors, raise the body and remove the turbo unit to replace this hose.
Has anyone else had this issue and how did you get it fixed. Is there a recall on it???

Frank246

Feb 20, 2019
Truck Year
I currently have a coolant leak somewhere either at the back of the engine or inside under the dash. Coolant in the floor on front passenger side. Have to have the dealership take a look and see. I'll let you know what they find.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Have a 2015 Eco Diesel with 144,000 miles. So let me say I have owned this truck since 2017. And I Love the truck, BUT these poor design issues are getting the best of me.
I have a bad coolant leak in the back of the engine. Dealer said it was the bango hose that goes from the top side of the block, to the bottom of the turbo charger. Dealer wants over $4000 to replace this 8 inch hose. He also said they had to remove the intake, remove the injectors, raise the body and remove the turbo unit to replace this hose.
Has anyone else had this issue and how did you get it fixed. Is there a recall on it???
Exactly the same. About 150K miles. Coolant running off the back of the block down the transmission housing, losing a quart every 40 miles. Yep was the banjo coolant fitting to the turbo. I had the dealer replace the two return lines as well.
No recall.
The labor list is correct.
My cost just less than $4K.

Bobverick

Aug 5, 2019
Truck Year
Where do you live? The local dealer here wants $2k and another dealer in a small town about 30 miles away only wants $1k.

Frank246

Feb 20, 2019
Truck Year
Took the truck to the dealership. Supposedly they ran both a cold and hot coolant pressure test and there was no leak. After traveling now for a little over 350 miles, I have had to put in over a gallon of coolant.

How can it test with no pressure leaks and lose fluid?

Bobverick

Aug 5, 2019
Truck Year
Took the truck to the dealership. Supposedly they ran both a cold and hot coolant pressure test and there was no leak. After traveling now for a little over 350 miles, I have had to put in over a gallon of coolant.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Where do you live? The local dealer here wants $2k and another dealer in a small town about 30 miles away only wants $1k.
I don't know about Scatpack1 but I live near Tulsa OK. The charge for the coolant line to the turbo was RAM flat rate hours and is correct. If your local dealer is quoting different then he is using a "Regional Correction" clause to lower the flat rate $ amount.

Example: my dealer charges flat rate $175 for diagnostic. While in MO I got a diagnostic and two ECM updates for $65. Regional Correction.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year

Frank you more than likely have a heater core leak. I know of no conditions that would not indicate a leak under pressure on our trucks other than the coolant tank was not full during the test
Good Luck.

Frank246

Feb 20, 2019
Truck Year
I originally thought the heater also, but since the first time I found the wet carpet on the passenger side front, there has not been any more nor any sign of leak on the ground anywhere, but a gallon of antifreeze is sure going somewhere? I think it's looking more and more like the like to the turbo. Hopefully I can get it back in next week and have them go over it again.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
I originally thought the heater also, but since the first time I found the wet carpet on the passenger side front, there has not been any more nor any sign of leak on the ground anywhere, but a gallon of antifreeze is sure going somewhere? I think it's looking more and more like the like to the turbo. Hopefully I can get it back in next week and have them go over it again.
With my turbo coolant line leak I only had antifreeze down the back of the block, over the transmission, on the ground, along the frame, spray on tailgate. I was loosing a half gallon every 47 miles. Never did I experience coolant inside cabin on floor board. The turbo coolant line leak I had and most people have is the pressure side, there are also two return lines, I had them replace all three while they had the cab off. I had total knee replacement about 7 months prior and I did not feel like dealing with it myself.
Have you or your shop considered the EGR cooler? It can also leak externally.
The water pump also has two metal tubes running toward the back of the block, one connects to the turbo coolant line.
If your dealer can not get a good pressure reading you definitely need to find another shop. A tech that you can trust is a must.

Good luck.

biggrits21

Nov 24, 2019
Truck Year
That quote is stupidly high. They have to remove the intake manifold to get to it not the cab . It should be around 1200 to replace.

Frank246

Feb 20, 2019
Truck Year
Scheduled back into the dealership tomorrow. I not had any leaks under the passenger front mat, but continue to lose antifreeze. In the last 600 miles, have had to put over two gals into the resorvior to keep it on the cold fill like. Never have seen any coolant on the ground, but smell it every once in a while in the cab while driving.

Can't tell me that it can pass a pressure test like this.

We shall see what they have to say.

Frank246

Feb 20, 2019
Truck Year
Dealership decided to replace the EGR again, even though it was just replaced in July. They said the leak continues though they don't know where for sure. They ordered a coolant reservoir replacement. No idea why since there has never been any coolant on the engine, at the overflow or on the ground at any time.

Supposed to be in on Tuesday. Time will tell, but I have little faith in it.

The saga continues.

Scatpack1

Oct 30, 2019
Truck Year
Bob, I am in east TN
What dealer will do it for less than $2000 or the $1000 you quoted. I will trailer it there if it is reasonable close.

Scatpack1

Oct 30, 2019
Truck Year
That quote is stupidly high. They have to remove the intake manifold to get to it not the cab . It should be around 1200 to replace.
I agree Big, but two dealers quoted me the same price. Thanks for your input.

Bobverick

Aug 5, 2019
Truck Year
Bob, I am in east TN
What dealer will do it for less than $2000 or the $1000 you quoted. I will trailer it there if it is reasonable close.
Crown Dodge in Fayetteville, NC want $2000. Bleeker Dodge in Dunn, NC will do it for around $1000. Call around to different dealerships. The mark up on parts and labor in some dealers is ridiculous.

SJK

Aug 19, 2018
Truck Year
The turbocharger system including all related hoses and pipes, all sensors and actuators. Copied from EcoDiesel Settlement extended warranty. If it is connected to the turbo it should be covered. https://www.ecodieselsettlement.com/content/dam/fcacourtsettlement/pdf/AEM Extended Warranty.pdf

Bobverick

Aug 5, 2019
Truck Year
Thanks for the information. The dealer told me the warranty was extended to 80k miles. It didn’t sound right, but I did t argue or research it. It looks like it is 10 years 120k miles.

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year
Yes, exact same issue, it runs directly under the intake manifold, there is a short piece of hose in between both metal ends, I paid 1500.00 but the dealership couldn’t find the part for a week, I got one on eBay and they used it.

Attachments

• 61CBB4A7-5A55-425B-9EDE-720C40F00490.jpeg
    61CBB4A7-5A55-425B-9EDE-720C40F00490.jpeg
    576.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 744D19C5-5135-4B78-95B1-5A338C512299.jpeg
    744D19C5-5135-4B78-95B1-5A338C512299.jpeg
    294.4 KB · Views: 26

Frank246

Feb 20, 2019
Truck Year
Stopped by the dealership today. Mechanic says the cyl head is cracked along with the block. ??Way overheated, but never showed any heat problem and never even "de-rated" for high heat, let along show any trouble codes of any type.
MoPar is checking on warranty coverage.