• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Coolant Leak

SOP

Dec 11, 2017
Truck Year
My coolant is down about an inch in the overflow tank on my 14'. Calling the dealer tomorrow to set up a time to take it in. Any idea what is all involved with replacing the water pump? I have a stream of coolant down the lower crank cover and onto the crossmember. Do they also replace the fuel rail and thermostat? From what I can see in my warranty documents the water pump and labor should be included in the 100k powertrain.

TwoBobs

Mar 3, 2018
Truck Year
I just had my water pump replaced under the powertrain warranty at the dealer on my '14 Laramie with 62,000 miles. It took three days due to availability of the water pump - or lack of availability. They replaced the serpentine belt and the thermostat at the same time. I had the same symptoms you're experiencing and thought it would be an easy replacement. After looking into it the project is pretty intense - and I've done a lot of wrenching, engine swaps etc. The pump alone is about $500US plus the other components and labor.

Hopefully your dealership will honor the powertrain warranty as mine did assuming you're under 100,000 miles.

Bob

SOP

Dec 11, 2017
Truck Year
So I got my truck in last week for the diagnostic to figure out the leak. The dealer said the water pump needs to be replaced along with a tube that was also leaking. Both very minor leaks. The water pump is on backorder so they are going to contact me once they have that and the other parts in stock. Likely I will be leaving it there for a day or two since it's a bigger job. The service tech was saying it's about $2,100 that chrysler is covering under the powertrain warranty, but the tube and some other parts/seals would not be, leaving me to pay for those parts and an additional hour of labor. So, $285 for my bill. Here is what's on the invoices.

Main Parts Invoice:
68211202AB Pump-water $749.25
68147586AA o ring $5.38
68211200AC Tube-water $75.87
68211201AA o ring $2.36
68258961AA o ring $5.75
68334957AA Tube-Fuel $43.40
68163848AB *Antifreeze $31.30
68157217AA o ring $14.94

Then a second invoice showing the parts I'm responsible for + 1hr labor:
68211200AC Tube-water $75.87
68334957AA Tube-fuel $43.40
68157217AA o ring $14.94

After doing some researching online I have some questions:

First, I asked about replacing the thermostat and the service advisor said they were not planning to replace that. I personally don't feel the need to replace that, but is it something that is hard to get to normally, but easy to get to when replacing the water pump? I saw some other threads online where the thermostat was replaced along with the water-pump... If thats true, should I just have that replaced now as well?

Secondly, I'm wondering if the tube (68211200AC tube-water) which seems to be a bypass tube, has to come off to remove the water pump anyways?

Thirdly, part 68334957AA tube-fuel would appear to be part of the fuel delivery system, and from what I can tell is part of having to replace the water pump. Seems that is part of the fuel injection system, and once removed it should be replaced to get a proper seal and not allowed to be reused per chrysler. Can anyone confirm if that is the case? If so, I don't logically see why I would be responsible for that.

At the end of the day I just want the truck fixed correctly. A few hundred bucks isn't a big deal to me, but I feel like these parts with the exception of the water tube should be under warranty. Also, if the parts I'm responsible to pay for are coming off/disconnected with the removal of the pump, I'd like to discuss an extra $150 for an hour of labor with the dealer.

Last edited: