• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Coolant loss.

Randomtasc

Sep 22, 2016
Truck Year
Hello,

I'm losing about a letre of coolant per week without any wet spots under the hood or on the ground. Oil still seems good so it's not mixing. Anyone experience this or have any suggestions? I have 47,000km on the truck and it's been in the road since sept 2015.

Thanks!

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
You have a problem bud, you should never have to add coolant. Take it to the dealer, should be under warranty.

Randomtasc

Sep 22, 2016
Truck Year
It's booked but they can't get me until August 4th. I've been driving the wife's car, I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this happen so I could educate myself prior to getting the run around from the dealership.

TonyD

Jul 27, 2017
Truck Year
Hello,

I hope you have better luck with your than we are having with ours! Antifreeze lose and off to dealer. It only took them a week to diagnose it. No biggie! Loaner vehicle! So they say it's the EGR Cooler! Should be covered under warranty! It's a 2016 with around 40k miles. Next day they call and say its not covered under 60k power train warranty. OK, we bought a extended warranty, Call them. Well next day, warranty company says they are not covering it either! Dealership said the are going and try and get dodge to cover it. Not a word back today! Estimate for repair was around 1300$ If you get better results, please let me know!

Thanks

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
makes you wanna run down to your local dealer and buy a used ecodiesel, doesn't it?

Windell LaRue

Jun 30, 2017
Truck Year
My 2015 ecodiesel is losing about a Qt of coolant in a month,can't find the leak,dealer pressure tested,flushed and refilled,sure enough leaked down a abt. QT..I turned the heater on today and smelled antifreeze for about five minutes,then it cleared up.Towed 3 big QTR horses in a big steel trailer,at least 7500 lb.and water and oil temp never got above 215 going up some pretty good hills.Any idea's?

TonyD

Jul 27, 2017
Truck Year
Had same problem. Until it suddenly lost coolant and overheated. 2016 model with 48k. Egr cooler leak. After run around. Dodge covered tow and repairs with a 100$ deductible. Which i was glad to pay! Got a loaner vehicle from dealer for the month it took them to get the cooler from overseas somewhere.

Windell LaRue

Jun 30, 2017
Truck Year
Had same problem. Until it suddenly lost coolant and overheated. 2016 model with 48k. Egr cooler leak. After run around. Dodge covered tow and repairs with a 100$ deductible. Which i was glad to pay! Got a loaner vehicle from dealer for the month it took them to get the cooler from overseas somewhere.
I'm glad they backed it for you,some have not been so lucky. I Have really enjoyed this truck but I'm towing 8 K two or three times weekly.I may start looking for a a stouter truck. I wish I had a 3:92 rear. How long did yours leak before it suddenly lost coolant? I'm at 47K now.

TonyD

Jul 27, 2017
Truck Year
We bought truck used with 18k on it. Beleive it or not i think it was leaking then. Because the reservoir was low then. We kept having to add more. Then out of the blue it overheated when my wife was coming home from work. Outside temp was probably in 60's. So it was less than a year after we purchased. We are about the beeak 60k. And if it foes again. I'll delete the egr cooler.

Windell LaRue

Jun 30, 2017
Truck Year
I think I'm on thin ice. lol.I would like to wait for a 2019 ecodiesel.I hear 260 Hp,442 lbft torque. With a 3:92 should handle my 8K loads some better. The dealer pressure tested my cooling system and said no leaks . Diesel is now 50 cents agallon more than regular so I'm not saving much on fuel. I love the low end torque for towing, I tow at 2,000 Rpm in 7th gear ,with 3:55 reaend that's about 65-70 and I'm at max. torque.

Gilles lesage

Jan 21, 2018
Truck Year
I have a 2105 that has just started needing top ups on a regular basis. The coolant seems to level off just under the smaller pipe the left side of the resevoir. I top it off to the cold line and a few days later, back to the same spot. Also air bubbles come through the smaller left pipe when topping up. Also noticed at some times when adding coolant i see it goes right out again through the overflow line to the ground (when engine still warm). Had a pressure test done and no signs of leakage there. Could the actual resevoir be an issue?

Windell LaRue

Jun 30, 2017
Truck Year
I have a 2105 that has just started needing top ups on a regular basis. The coolant seems to level off just under the smaller pipe the left side of the resevoir. I top it off to the cold line and a few days later, back to the same spot. Also air bubbles come through the smaller left pipe when topping up. Also noticed at some times when adding coolant i see it goes right out again through the overflow line to the ground (when engine still warm). Had a pressure test done and no signs of leakage there. Could the actual resevoir be an issue?
Same here. when I top it off cold to the top mark.it leaks down to the bottom mark cold but it don't go any lower and no overheating.I passed the pressure test also. That coolant has to be going somewhere?

TonyD

Jul 27, 2017
Truck Year
Look at top of egr cooler. Its on right side of motor. If discolored or damp looking. Its bad.

TonyD

Jul 27, 2017
Truck Year
I could be wrong, but i think the small hose is the inlet to fill system wgen it gets low. So if your getting below it. You system is getting lower as you drive it.

Gilles lesage

Jan 21, 2018
Truck Year
So to add to my last post.... Mechanic said today that the water pump was leaking big time.. Surprised a pressure test would not have shown this? The part was readily in stock so apparently may be a common issue.. 1000$ later for the part.

Windell LaRue

Jun 30, 2017
Truck Year
So to add to my last post.... Mechanic said today that the water pump was leaking big time.. Surprised a pressure test would not have shown this? The part was readily in stock so apparently may be a common issue.. 1000$ later for the part.
How much for parts and labor?

Gilles lesage

Jan 21, 2018
Truck Year
How much for parts and labor?
So now even after replacing the water pump the issue of low coolant was still happening. After another visit to the mechanic it was then noted that the EGR cooler was to blame. The EGR cooler was actually breached and causing positive pressure in the entire cooling system. This is what apparently blew up water pump. The positive pressure was also causing the coolant escape through the overflow hose off the reservoir which was causing the coolant loss. Long story short new water pump new EGR cooler. The coolers are about $2,400 in Canada, water pump roughly $1,000. Gladly I found an EGR cooler across the border for a roughly a thousand.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Domino

Aug 27, 2015
Truck Year
So now even after replacing the water pump the issue of low coolant was still happening. After another visit to the mechanic it was then noted that the EGR cooler was to blame. The EGR cooler was actually breached and causing positive pressure in the entire cooling system. This is what apparently blew up water pump. The positive pressure was also causing the coolant escape through the overflow hose off the reservoir which was causing the coolant loss. Long story short new water pump new EGR cooler. The coolers are about $2,400 in Canada, water pump roughly $1,000. Gladly I found an EGR cooler across the border for a roughly a thousand.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Did this finally resolve your issue??

Bob Pierce

Dec 18, 2018
Truck Year
Coolant leak just the start intake manifold carbons up burns hole in it 3700.00$ A month later fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump in tank problem 2500.00 $ got truck back engine very noisy I was able to get rid of the truck only lost a few thousand dollars . Very expensive lesson Ram ecodiesel is Avery poor engine with far too many issues in my experience. My advice is don’t walk away from the EcoDiesels RUN it seems Chrysler is aware of the problems but do not care they have known about the antifreeze leaks for a long time and the coolant is going internally into the engine who knows what damage it will cause over time ticking time bomb in my opinion my truck had just 111000 Kilometres I loved the truck but the engine is just not reliable in my opinion and experience. Chrysler’s response “ sorry about your luck your warranty has expired” EcoDiesel owners in the US won a class action against Chrysler over emissions issues last year. Great fuel mileage poor engine performance after recall for emissions. Truck hesitated on takeoff bad until the engine was at full operating temperature read the forum responses Chrysler says this is normal hope nobody gets killed pulling out in traffic with the no response throttle. Sad Chrysler’s in too deep with this engine and it’s track record is the proof.

Last edited:

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
Just out yesterday...