• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Cruise Control & Tow/Haul

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I've read that it's not a good idea to use cruise control while towing. Why?

I tow an 18-1/2' aluminum bass boat. I don't know the actual weight, but I can't imagine it being more then 3000# if that. The roads I travel to the lakes are mostly flat, 60mph two-lane highways. I use the tow/haul function and cruise control. This is fine, right? Truck acts as if the boat isn't even there, which is what I'd expect with that lil bit of weight. Just wanna hear opinions....

-Brady

AzRamDiesel

Jan 2, 2014
I've not heard that, but I would say the transmission is smart enough to know to shift out of overdrive (To control temps). Just my thoughts!

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
That's what I'm thinking. I'll also add that the weight I'm pulling probably doesn't warrant the tow/haul function. Would keep RPMs down = save fuel. Maybe manually keep it at 7th if needed?

AzRamDiesel

Jan 2, 2014
That's what I'm thinking. I'll also add that the weight I'm pulling probably doesn't warrant the tow/haul function. Would keep RPMs down = save fuel. Maybe manually keep it at 7th if needed?

That's an option. But on a nice open flat road the extra gear would help with fuel mileage.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Yea I agree. The few trips I've taken so far it seems the tow/haul is just too much for my application. I can see it's benefit in heavier situations, but I think my next trip will be in normal D. Thanks for the opinions.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
My understanding, the tow/haul affect shifting. It will stay in gear longer, so that you don't get into a shift down and up. If you are not experiencing too much shifting. It be okay. I have 5000 lb trailer, and go into the mountains. I don't use tow/haul, as it not an issue. On the hill, I don't use cruise control, that save on fuel a lot.

EARL KITCHENS

Jul 3, 2015
Truck Year
Glad you asked this question. i plan to tow my boat this Friday. My local terrain is mixed with hills and flats. I thought on the way to the lake I would try without tow haul at 60 mph and with tow haul at 60 mph on the way back. i will post the results.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Glad you asked this question. i plan to tow my boat this Friday. My local terrain is mixed with hills and flats. I thought on the way to the lake I would try without tow haul at 60 mph and with tow haul at 60 mph on the way back. i will post the results.

I'm betting you won't need/want it even with that heavy glass rig.

EARL KITCHENS

Jul 3, 2015
Truck Year
Real world got in the way so I did not get to tow my boat on Friday. Oh well, maybe next week.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Well, report what you find, when you do!

WesMgc

Aug 18, 2015
Truck Year
If trailer tow/hull is engaged and it lets you use cruse control should be okey
I have not tried this don't use cruse