• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Cummins vs ED regeneration process

Tmckinney20

Nov 17, 2022
Truck Year
I was wondering if the cummins have the exact regen requirements as the ED? Does the cumming have to be driving highway speeds to start a regen and complete a regen process? I found a pretty good deal on a 2020 model.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Yes, all diesel engine makes have the same basic regen processes or procedures. They may use different triggers, timing, methods of measuring, etc. but accomplish and process the same.

Tmckinney20

Nov 17, 2022
Truck Year
Yes, all diesel engine makes have the same basic regen processes or procedures. They may use different triggers, timing, methods of measuring, etc. but accomplish and process the same.
No I meant like the Colorado 2.8 diesel I had. I would be ideling over night in a truck stop and it would go through a cycle simply ideling. Not necessarily having to be going certain speeds or RPMs. It would do this quite often at least once a night. I wasn't sure if it Cummins had to be driving down the road like we do with our eco diesels to make it go through a cycle or if would do it ideling.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
No I meant like the Colorado 2.8 diesel I had. I would be ideling over night in a truck stop and it would go through a cycle simply ideling. Not necessarily having to be going certain speeds or RPMs. It would do this quite often at least once a night. I wasn't sure if it Cummins had to be driving down the road like we do with our eco diesels to make it go through a cycle or if would do it ideling.
I don't know as I don't idle my trucks. Maybe someone who knows will chime in.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
The following is a step-by-step guide on performing a regeneration using the manual regen switch on your 6.7 Cummins.

• Find an appropriate parking space, and engage the parking brakes. Place the transmission pedal in NEUTRAL or PARK. The manual regeneration should take between 45 and 60 minutes to complete.
  • While picking the ideal parking space, ensure no obstacles around the exhaust area.
  • Switch off your fast-idle and power take-off buttons before pressing the manual regen switch.
  • At this point, it is safe to push the manual regeneration switch. During the process, you will notice an increase in engine speed. You will also hear a different sound coming from the turbocharger. Once the diesel particulate filter system is regenerated, your 6.7 Cummins will return to average idle speed.
  • Pay extra attention during the regen process. If you notice unsafe conditions, kill the engine immediately, and depress the brake or throttle pedals to exit the manual regen process.
  • The exhaust gas temperatures will remain high for three to five minutes after the process.
You can always reference your 6.7 Cummins manual for more precise instructions.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
manual regen switch on your 6.7
I've never heard of a manual regen switch on a 6.7. Is this something on the new Rams or ??? Or is it a feature exclusive to the big boys like a 5500?

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I've never heard of a manual regen switch on a 6.7. Is this something on the new Rams or ??? Or is it a feature exclusive to the big boys like a 5500?
That is a great question, I was following the conversation and just did a google on 6.7 Cummins regens. That method jumped out at me as being substantially different that the eco D.
This is what I quoted
Very interested in these threads because I imagine a 2500 is probably in my future in a couple years.