• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

CV axles

Floyd sabit

Sep 22, 2018
Truck Year
Hi guys..recently I had to take my truck in for a recall issue and had got a free inspection of which they said I needed new CV axles for the front. They were loose so I decided to replace them myself. Before this issue ever came to light I had talked about my Ram 1500 truck with other Ram truck owners. I kept hearing how the CV axles wore out and that they needed replacing due to moisture and lack of grease in the fittings. Anyway I figured since I did the work on changing the CV axles I decided to put grease on the fittings, both ends and then on the differential side I put silicone around the whole shaft. My reason for this is to prevent moisture from getting into the shaft so that it wouldn't rust. So hopefully making my CV axle and the intermediate parts from wearing out prematurely. Just thought I'd share this idea. Thanks guys.

2ndGenJohn

Jan 6, 2019
Hi guys..recently I had to take my truck in for a recall issue and had got a free inspection of which they said I needed new CV axles for the front. They were loose so I decided to replace them myself. Before this issue ever came to light I had talked about my Ram 1500 truck with other Ram truck owners. I kept hearing how the CV axles wore out and that they needed replacing due to moisture and lack of grease in the fittings. Anyway I figured since I did the work on changing the CV axles I decided to put grease on the fittings, both ends and then on the differential side I put silicone around the whole shaft. My reason for this is to prevent moisture from getting into the shaft so that it wouldn't rust. So hopefully making my CV axle and the intermediate parts from wearing out prematurely. Just thought I'd share this idea. Thanks guys.
Solid idea imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Miles? I haven't heard of early failure of CV axle.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
180000km...and there are a lot of Ram truck owners here...so it does happen sooner or later.
Now if I did my math correctly that would be about 111,846 miles +/-. Your installation parts prep is a great idea. I have inspected mine at each oil change but I am only at 85K miles and I have found no issues yet, but will continue inspections. I certainly hope its later. My 95 Chevy Z71 has 399K miles and I have only replaced one CV shaft.