• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Cylinder head removal do to a mushroomed glowplug

Ryan76

Aug 15, 2021
Truck Year
I’m taking the left side (driver) cylinder head off. To fix cylinder glow plug that won’t come out. I’ve taken off the left upper timing cover A.C. Bracket and locked my crank ATDC (cams and timing chains are still on) just to give an idea where I’m at. I was planning on marking all the gears and put everything back exactly as they were. However I’m a little nervous with the high pressure fuel pump how it’s indexed to the engine. When taking it off will I be able to mark or will it just pull out any help on removing the high pressure fuel pump. Or if There’s anyway of locking The chain tensioner and not removing anymore covers

Last edited:

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Just remove...contrary to false stories...it does not need timing.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Ryan check out that head...if the valves are warped. It's very common on OEM heads.. also I'd that plenum is gunk up replace it...here's what happens the swirl valves get all cake up stopping the cooler air from entering the intake port...the valves get hot from lack of incoming air.

Ryan76

Aug 15, 2021
Truck Year
s
Just remove...contrary to false stories...it does not need timing.
Thanks I ended up removing the HPFP last night after locking the crank ... Your right Im noticing alot of it gunking mostly in my sensors. I haven't been able to take off my intake manifold yet because one bolt on the EGR elbow is stripped but I'm guessing the swirl valves will be gummed up. I drive to the shop about a mile away then use a company truck for work I don't think I'm getting my engine hot enough the I was able to get to the Chain tensioner with a thin metal piece of wire but figured Something will go wrong and continued removal of the timing covers and HPFP