• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Dangling Block Heater Cord Solution

alaskapilot

Oct 29, 2019
Truck Year
Hi, folks...I'm fairly new to the forum, but I've already learned tons of information from you guys. I have a '16 Ram Limited Edition 1500 with 52,000 miles and so far, so good! I came across a product on Amazon that I thought I would share if you're still letting your engine heater plug dangle out form under the hood during the winter. It's a AC port plug by NOCO, number GCP1 with a 16" cord. I mounted mine in the plastic part of the front grill, and it made for a very clean and easy installation, only took about 30 minutes (see photos.) Hope this helps! Sorry about the image...I couldn't get it to rotate!IMG_3934.JPGIMG_3934.JPGIMG_3934.JPG

Frank246

Feb 20, 2019
Truck Year
Speaking of heater cords, how does one know if it is working? What temp change should one see after starting the engine after being plugged in all night at below freezing temps? Should its be 10 or 20 or 30 degrees warmer or anything? I don't really see any temp difference so I'm not sure if the cord is bad or if any thing is really supposed to happen.

scoffman

Aug 21, 2019
Truck Year
I never really looked at the coolant temp. I just know that when I plug her in and have to start her up the next morning it doesn't do the wait until it warms up the glow plug delay routine. She just fires right up.

Frank246

Feb 20, 2019
Truck Year
Really! Wow. Mine must not be working or something since it still shows below 30 deg. or so and always takes the 4 sec heat up glow plug times. I wonder if it is a bad plug or if it might not be seated into the engine as tight as it should be.

Thanks for the response.

alaskapilot

Oct 29, 2019
Truck Year
Really! Wow. Mine must not be working or something since it still shows below 30 deg. or so and always takes the 4 sec heat up glow plug times. I wonder if it is a bad plug or if it might not be seated into the engine as tight as it should be.

Thanks for the response.
Here's a photo of my display this morning at startup. I had the block heater on for three hours prior to cranking, and you can see the temps were all up there pretty well, especially considering it was minus 22 Fahrenheit outside.

Attachments

• evic.jpg
    evic.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 20

tlhamelau

Dec 3, 2018
Truck Year
I checked for continuity between the 2 prongs on the plug. I was lucky enough that the wire had broke right after the plug, so I rerouted the wire to a flush mount plug like the one shown in this picture. Turned out great!

GBRAM2021

Apr 17, 2021
Truck Year
Not Listed
Here's a photo of my display this morning at startup. I had the block heater on for three hours prior to cranking, and you can see the temps were all up there pretty well, especially considering it was minus 22 Fahrenheit outside.
Is it a good idea to plug in my block heater with the temp getting down to 32 degrees Fahrenheit?

Mesatoneman

Dec 27, 2020
Truck Year
I usually don’t plug mine in till it dips below freezing temps and then have it on a couple hours before I leave for work in mornings. Leave around 430am. Timer kicks it on at 230am

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
Speaking of heater cords, how does one know if it is working?

A few seconds after plugging in the cord, I can hear the block heater gurgling. I could hear it on my '06 Cummins and I can hear it on my 2015 and 2020 EcoDiesel trucks.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
I mounted mine in the plastic part of the front grill, and it made for a very clean and easy installation

I've seen other EcoDiesel owners mount in the same spot. I agree that it's a perfect location for those who don't have tow hooks. My 2015 didn't come factory with tow hooks, but I'm thinking about adding them.

I use the block heater approximately 6 months of the year. I wish I had a quick and easy method for plugging/unplugging instead of having to open the hood. I'm going to take a look today to see what my options are. I might look at the air dam or a good place to drill into the chrome bumper.