• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Darknight Tuning

C-LoceVida

Jul 19, 2019
Truck Year
Hey guys! It's been helpful reading some of these posts on this forum. Kinda feels like a support group knowing so many have gone through the same BS I am currently going through. So I'll try and be brief and thorough...

Traded in my 2010 ram 1500 Hemi over a month ago for a 2016 ram 1500 ecodiesel SLT w/ 107,000km. Loved it for the first 5 weeks(6000km of driving). Got the message 80 percent exhaust filter full, tried to do a regen at higher speeds, didn't work and ended up reaching 100% where it went into limp mode. Dealer looked at it and told me about the EGR coolant leak, yadda yadda yadda, $3600 plus tax to fix, no warranty, yadda yadda yadda, I'm stuck with a truck that is screwed.

Obviously I looked into the EGR and DEF delete to avoid this happening again and came across a few options. First was the kit that blocks off the diffuser. Second was a kit I found on hddieselsupply.ca which included a tune, exhaust components and for an extra $225 that egr removal kit which was my first option. I think I'm leaning towards my 3rd option which is a company called darknight tuning. They offer a tune that does what hddieselsupply offers as well as a transmission tune and "variable tuning" I spoke with a rep there and he seemed very educated. I told him what my original plans were (options 1 and 2) and he advised against it. I'm guessing there is a lot that could go wrong? Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has had experience with these guys. They are about $1000 more than my 2nd option. I was also thrown off when he told me that with the tune I dont need that EGR removal kit, that the tune will stop the coolant from leaking but on the hddieselsupply website it clearly states that if the coolant is leaking, then you need to buy the extra kit. Huh??

Anyways, I'm a little uncertain what is the best route. I'm not really concerned with costs at this point as long my truck is reliable and avoid these issues from popping up again. Sorry for the rant. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

John

Nov 13, 2015
I'm not familiar with darknight but will mention if you are in the USA your truck qualifies for the AEM that will give you an extended warranty for 4 yrs/48,000 mi. This will include replacing the EGR cooler.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
A tune can't stop the leak you have... Most tunes will shut off the EGR so that you're not dumping SOOT into your intakes, but it is my understanding that if you do have an EGR cooler leak, the tune (that shuts of EGR) is required just to install the kit, but a tune alone won't stop the leak. You're best getting the kit and a TUNE and remove the EGR cooler.

As to where the coolant is going (if you have a tune that shuts off EGR), I'm not sure, but it could end up in the DPF, causing DPF problems. Anyone else chime in here?

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
Dark night tuning is a high end Canadian tuner
Interesting, I never heard of them. I was looking at their website, I don't see anything about Ecodiesel tuning? Only the cummings 6.7L

They are pricy eh.