• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DEF IN DIESEL FUEL

EARL KITCHENS

Jul 3, 2015
Truck Year
I have a friend with a 2104 ECODIESEL and he accidently put less than a gallon of def into his diesel tank that had nine gallons of diesel before he realized it and shut off the def pump.. He started the engine and ran it about thirty seconds. He had it towed to the garage. What bad news should he expect to get from his mechanic? I told him it would be bad!

cevans

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year
If DEF made it to the injectors, yes, bad. DEF is mostly water, water does extreme damage to diesel injection systems.

Two things - if it *honestly* was 30 seconds, of idling (and not 10 minutes) then it is possible that fuel from the tank didn't make it up to the injectors. The fuel filter is designed to allow water to settle at the bottom, so if the concentration of DEF was very low it might have separated in the fuel filter housing.

What needs to be done? EVERYTHING fuel related needs to get removed and fully cleaned. Every line from the tank to the fuel filter, the filter housing, new fuel filter, after the fuel filter, the hard lines, everything. If any of it is still traveling around the fuel system it will destroy injection components. It will be pricey, but spending the money to clean out the whole fuel system will be way cheaper than replacing HPFP and fuel injectors.

I would also run fuel additives after cleaning to encourage any remaining water contamination to separate. After a few hundred miles I would also drain the fuel filter housing - maybe install another replacement fuel filter.

EARL KITCHENS

Jul 3, 2015
Truck Year
He did exactly what you said to do. No more issues but he did change the fuel filter around 1000 miles. He also told me his mileage seemed to be down a little. Thanks for all your suggestions.