• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DEF Injector

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
John it's all over the gauge some 22 other 24%. John you mean to tell Me Your Tuner did not set the DEF at NO MIL/CEL? what did you buy? My 2015 3.0 did not or does My 2016 6.7 Cummins, And some 2017s 6.7 and 3.0VMs have reported the same. It's odd your 2016 trigger the message it's the 1st Eco 2016 that I have heard of.
With the stock tune I get the alert. Twice, for recalls, I returned to stock tune and got the alert. Had to drain the DEF tank and refill with new DEF to clear the alerts before taking it to dealer.

I have SFT tunes. Prior to the W58 tone wheel recall, the SFT tune had the DEF system operating great and no alerts. When they updated the tune to accept the W58 recall, their new tune alerted. I complained and they gave me a correcting tune. Their correcting tune shut down the DEF system and turned off the DEF level gauge. I complained and asked them to put the DEF system and gauge back in operation, like it was before the W58 recall. They said "No, had too many problems". I think they shut it down because they didn't know how to fix it. Previously, they shut down the "go into Cruise Control below 25mph" and gave the same excuse. That's why I'm shopping for a new tuner. Any suggestions?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Today... its tuff... risky. Geez with EFI we just program for No Mil/CEL done. We were working on Plug and play for 24% but C19 changed all that. It's a gray area because it did NOT defeat any (AECD) and had no effect on NOx sensors, Heck I would guess that most driving would meet the Near 0PPM at 10% levels , its a bunch of Yeywhos that came up with 33%

Adamdj89

Nov 18, 2021
Truck Year
TC Diesel thanks for all.the useful Info...bc I am new to this....do you have to dilute your DEF fluid? That is something I did not know

Adamdj89

Nov 18, 2021
Truck Year
Wow after reading everyone's thread I feel like I have purchased a diesel operated computer..lol....this will be interesting to learn about the complexity of these trucks

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
No. 89, you can run DEF at 67-33% but drooping will add in DEF pump/injector life.

Adamdj89

Nov 18, 2021
Truck Year
So glad I joined this forum tho.....a ton of helpful information from very knowledgeable and experienced people

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Wow after reading everyone's thread I feel like I have purchased a diesel operated computer..lol....this will be interesting to learn about the complexity of these trucks
Owning any VM product will be educational to say the least........

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
89, the best advice I can give is Alfa OBDII and learn how to use, and NO grocery getting on daily basis. You will need the bypass on 2018+ for the SGM.

Adamdj89

Nov 18, 2021
Truck Year
Something I should probably mention is that my model is a Canadian model..an Outdoorsman which I found out discontinued model....the engine and components however should be the same I assume

Adamdj89

Nov 18, 2021
Truck Year
TC diesel once again extremely helpful...have an I300j 0BD2 but i think it only gives me CEL codes and what they are...will have to invest, order and ship in an Alfa OBDII....will do my research to see what I find

Adamdj89

Nov 18, 2021
Truck Year
Also I do plan on doing a DPF system delete..have the Kit just waiting on date scheduled by Tech

Jan 16, 2022
Truck Year
Am I understanding you guys correctly, in that I should dump in a little distilled water with my DEF to keep the system in better shape?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Mix 1 Gallon Distilled water to 2.5/2 Gallons DEF.

Adamdj89

Nov 18, 2021
Truck Year
Unfortunately 89 you have 2018, it may have the quality sensor, so that sensor will pick up and trigger code when it drops below 24% Urea, 2014-17 only have common sensor so NO urea sensor, on 2014-17 you can run down to 10% and if you drop below 10% you will get CEL on rational code NONE effect driving, and you won't see the message "Service DEF" if CEL appears just add more DEF, DEF 33/67% is corrosive and abrasive and it will crystallize at DEF injector nozzle possibly leaving you to see the count down or worst.

Also Buy ALFA OBD2 and place your 3.0VM into stationary de-soot just prior to lube service... or 2-4 Times Yearly to lessen the events of the 100% self-destruct message to see dealer $$$$

I ran My 2015 at 10-12% for 4.25 Years (40K Miles ) 2 Gallon distilled water to 1 Gallon DEF error free. This will likely add to DEF injector/Pump Life. I had customer call Me from Hawaii, he had No choice but to let the dealer replace his DEF pump/injector (Tank) at a cost of $3,200.00, He call and told before he left the States, he wishes he had followed My Recommendation to sell the 2014, its been problem free up to this point, put with all the likeliness of plenum and other problems with 3.0VM he will be trading ASAP.
TC Diesel can you attach a pic of the Alfa OBDII. Want to make sure I get the right one.. thanks

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I like MX it the most expense and others have claimed X works But IMO you get what you pay for.

61LvnoEtLuL._AC_UL115_.jpg

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
No, I use a monitor for that, You can use the AFLA for such use , but I would find that cumbersome.
Banks IQ - Copy.jpg

Standup Rider

Jan 4, 2023
Truck Year
My 2016 Eco is my daily driver of "a lot of short trip or stop and go driving" and I have never seen the 100% full message, nor have I ever had an exhaust sytem problem. I agree that my use is the worst use for any diesel vehicle. So I compensate.

I monitor exhaust temps, DPF soot level and regen activity. If I'm on a short hop and I see a regen about to start or has started, I keep driving until the regen completes. I rarely stop and shop if a regen is in progress. I can also issue a command causing the truck to regen (when I next start it, and it reaches the required temps).

My point is, while short hop driving is a terrible way to treat a diesel, it can be done with no consequences.
So how do you know that a regen is happening? I have a 2016 ED with 102,000 miles that I have owned for 2 years. It’s not my everyday driver. I usually take it on longer highway drives when I use it.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
So how do you know that a regen is happening? I have a 2016 ED with 102,000 miles that I have owned for 2 years. It’s not my everyday driver. I usually take it on longer highway drives when I use it.
I use an Edge CTS2 to monitor the data I mentioned above. I've also used a CTS3 but that will not initiate or force a regen like the CTS2.