• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DEF pump failure at 14000 miles

Swashplate97

Jul 7, 2019
Truck Year
Lengthy post, sorry.

So, I have owned my 2017 Bighorn Eco for just over a year now. Never had a single problem until 11 July when my CEL illuminated and a message accompanied it saying there was a DEF fault. Brought it into the dealership and they stated there were no codes, although I scanned it beforehand and it showed P203D as a permanent code. Drove it for 3 days and the CEL came back on, with the same message and same code. Brought it back to the dealer on 16 July and they informed me that my DEF pump was toast, but they had one on the way and to drop my truck off the next morning for replacement of the tank/pump assembly. Dropped off the next day and came home to sleep(I work grave shift). Woke up to a message that the parts never shipped. When I picked up the truck, they said it would be here in 5-7 days. I informed them that would be just in time because I am moving 1200 miles away on the 26th of July, but asked to be notified in the event that the dates changed. Service tech told me that if the parts didn't show up on time, to go about my move and fix it when I got to my new city. So, today, 23 July, I call to get an update on my parts and the parts guy informs me that im backorder number 27 and could see the parts delivered by 30 July, 2 days before I start my new job! Anyone got any ideas on a good direction to go?

I know that without regen capabilities, the DPF will clog up and then the truck will go into limp mode and limit me to 5 MPH until I get to the dealership for a manual regen, if thats even possible without a functioning pump. Also, I am towing a 4000 lb trailer with me! I notified FCA and they said they would see if they could redirect a pump to my dealership, but no promises. I dont want to come out of pocket to trade this in, and I cannot push back my start date! Plus I have already turned in my 2 week notice at my current job and have to be out of my apartment by Monday! Has anyone had positive outcomes with FCA on anything similar to this?

Again, sorry its so lengthy.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Lengthy post, sorry.

So, I have owned my 2017 Bighorn Eco for just over a year now. Never had a single problem until 11 July when my CEL illuminated and a message accompanied it saying there was a DEF fault. Brought it into the dealership and they stated there were no codes, although I scanned it beforehand and it showed P203D as a permanent code. Drove it for 3 days and the CEL came back on, with the same message and same code. Brought it back to the dealer on 16 July and they informed me that my DEF pump was toast, but they had one on the way and to drop my truck off the next morning for replacement of the tank/pump assembly. Dropped off the next day and came home to sleep(I work grave shift). Woke up to a message that the parts never shipped. When I picked up the truck, they said it would be here in 5-7 days. I informed them that would be just in time because I am moving 1200 miles away on the 26th of July, but asked to be notified in the event that the dates changed. Service tech told me that if the parts didn't show up on time, to go about my move and fix it when I got to my new city. So, today, 23 July, I call to get an update on my parts and the parts guy informs me that im backorder number 27 and could see the parts delivered by 30 July, 2 days before I start my new job! Anyone got any ideas on a good direction to go?

I know that without regen capabilities, the DPF will clog up and then the truck will go into limp mode and limit me to 5 MPH until I get to the dealership for a manual regen, if thats even possible without a functioning pump. Also, I am towing a 4000 lb trailer with me! I notified FCA and they said they would see if they could redirect a pump to my dealership, but no promises. I dont want to come out of pocket to trade this in, and I cannot push back my start date! Plus I have already turned in my 2 week notice at my current job and have to be out of my apartment by Monday! Has anyone had positive outcomes with FCA on anything similar to this?

Again, sorry its so lengthy.
I hope they get the pump on time. The DEF pump has nothing to do with the DPF or regeneration. The DEF is injected into the SCR which is way downstream of the DPF. They are two different systems. The DEF controls NOX. The DPF traps soot.

The problem with a DEF pump failure is the "possibility" of getting a countdown of miles before the truck won't restart. It would be the same as running out of DEF.

There's an easy way to bypass the "possible" no start condition by simply jumping a relay. I'll dig out the procedure and post it here.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) Warning Messages

Your vehicle will begin displaying warning messages
when the DEF level reaches a driving range of approximately
500 miles (800 km). If the following warning
message sequence is ignored, your vehicle may not
restart unless DEF is added with in the displayed mileage
shown in the EVIC message.

• Engine Will Not Restart in XXXX mi DEF Low Refill
Soon
— This message will display when DEF driving
range is less than 500 miles, DEF fluid top off is required
with in the displayed mileage. The message will be
displayed in the EVIC during vehicle start up with the
current allowed mileage and accompanied by a single
chime. The remaining mileage can be pulled up anytime
by way of the “Messages” list within the EVIC

• Engine Will Not Restart in XXXX mi Refill DEF —
This message will display when DEF driving range is
less than 200 miles. It is also displayed at 150 miles and
100 miles. DEF fluid top off is required with in the
displayed mileage. The message will be displayed in
the EVIC during vehicle start up with an updated
distance mileage, and it will be accompanied by a
single chime. Stating at 100 miles, remaining range will
be continuously displayed while operating the vehicle.
Chimes will also accompany the 75, 50 and 25 mile
remaining distances. The DEF Low telltale will be on
continuously until DEF fluid is topped off.

• Engine Will Not Restart Refill DEF — This message
will display when the DEF driving range is less than 1
mile, DEF fluid top off is required or the engine will
not restart. The message will be displayed in the EVIC
during vehicle start up, and it will be accompanied by
a single chime. The DEF Low telltale will be illuminated
continuously until DEF fluid tank is filled with a
minimum of two gallons of DEF.
Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) Fault Warning
There are different messages which are displayed if the
vehicle detects that the DEF system has been filled with
a fluid other than DEF, has experienced component
failures, or when tampering has been detected.
When the DEF system needs to be serviced the following
warnings will display:

• Service DEF System See Dealer — This message will
display when the fault is initially detected and each
time the vehicle is started. The message will be accompanied
by a single chime and the Malfunction Indicator
Light. We recommend you drive to your nearest
authorized dealer and have your vehicle serviced
immediately. If not corrected in 50 miles, vehicle will
enter the “Engine Will not restart in XXXmi Service
DEF See dealer” warning stage and message.
• Incorrect DEF Detected See Dealer — This message
will display if the DEF system has detected the incorrect
fluid has been introduced to the DEF tank. The
message will be accompanied by a single chime. We
recommend you drive to your nearest authorized
dealer and have your vehicle serviced immediately. If
not corrected in 50 miles, vehicle will enter the Engine
Will not restart in XXX mi Service DEF See dealer
warning stage and message.

• Engine Will Not Restart in XXX mi Service DEF See
Dealer
— This message is first displayed if the fault
detected is not serviced after 50 miles of operation. It is
also displayed at 150 miles 125 miles and 100 miles.
System service is required within the displayed mileage.
The message will be displayed in the EVIC during
vehicle start up with an updated distance mileage, and
it will be accompanied by a single chime. Starting at
100 miles, remaining range will be continuously displayed
while operating the vehicle. Chimes will also
accompany the 75, 50 and 25 mile remaining distances.
We recommend you drive to your nearest authorized
dealer and have your vehicle serviced immediately.

• Engine Will Not Restart Service DEF System See
Dealer
— This message will display if DEF system
issue detected is not serviced during the allowed
period. Your engine will not restart unless your vehicle
is serviced by your authorized dealer. This message
will be displayed when under 1 mile until engine will
not start and each time the vehicle is started, and will
be continuously displayed. The message will be accompanied
by a single chime. Your Malfunction Indicator
Light will be continuously illumined. We highly
recommend you drive to your nearest authorized
dealer if the message appears while engine is running.

• Engine Will Not Start Service DEF System See
Dealer
— This message will display when the fault
detected is not serviced after the Engine will not restart
Service DEF System See Dealer message is displayed
on the next subsequent restart. Your engine will not
start unless you vehicle is serviced by your authorized
dealer. The message will be accompanied by a single
chime. Your Malfunction Indicator Light will be continuously
illuminated. If the message appears and you
can not start the engine, we recommend you have your
vehicle towed to your nearest authorized dealer immediately

Swashplate97

Jul 7, 2019
Truck Year
Theres fluid in the tank, but the pump isnt spraying, Im really concerned about frying the exhaust and DPF, or getting it clogged completely. Is there a way for the dealership to manually clean the DPF before I head out?

I chatted to a lady with FCA and asked them if they would send a tow truck to get me if I broke down, and another to grab my 20 ft enclosed trailer and she refused to answer. Definitely not getting a warm fuzzy on this.

Swashplate97

Jul 7, 2019
Truck Year
I hope they get the pump on time. The DEF pump has nothing to do with the DPF or regeneration. The DEF is injected into the SCR which is way downstream of the DPF. They are two different systems. The DEF controls NOX. The DPF traps soot.

The problem with a DEF pump failure is the "possibility" of getting a countdown of miles before the truck won't restart. It would be the same as running out of DEF.

There's an easy way to bypass the "possible" no start condition by simply jumping a relay. I'll dig out the procedure and post it here.
Awesome, I was looking at some bad info I think. Someone already posted the start bypass on this thread, so I have that. Thank you for clearing that up for me.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Theres fluid in the tank, but the pump isnt spraying, Im really concerned about frying the exhaust and DPF, or getting it clogged completely. Is there a way for the dealership to manually clean the DPF before I head out?

I chatted to a lady with FCA and asked them if they would send a tow truck to get me if I broke down, and another to grab my 20 ft enclosed trailer and she refused to answer. Definitely not getting a warm fuzzy on this.
Did you read post #3? DEF has absolutely nothing to do with regeneration of the DPF. The DEF pump & injection is actually shut off during the regen.

Swashplate97

Jul 7, 2019
Truck Year
Did you read post #3? DEF has absolutely nothing to do with regeneration of the DPF. The DEF pump & injection is actually shut off during the regen.
Yes, I read that, then thanked you for correcting the bad info I had gotten from elsewhere. Then I said someone else had posted the start bypass.

Swashplate97

Jul 7, 2019
Truck Year
I had posted that before I had even read the new one where you set me straight. Sorry, Im a slow reader and an even slower typer on this phone.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Awesome, my forum skills suck I think. Sorry about that. And I appreciate all the info from all of you on here!
Your forum skills are fine. I just asked if you read post #3 and you already had told me you did. I think I'm the slow reader. Lol. In any case most of us just want to help and that's all that counts.

Swashplate97

Jul 7, 2019
Truck Year
Your forum skills are fine. I just asked if you read post #3 and you already had told me you did. I think I'm the slow reader. Lol. In any case most of us just want to help and that's all that counts.
Well, Its definitely appreciated. Between dealing with the dealership, FCA, and packing my trailer in 100+ degree heat and then thinking about where I could be stranded, I am exhausted! Hell, I was so emotionally stressed I was seriously contemplating a trip to the Chevy dealership to trade this thing in tonight!

John

Nov 13, 2015
Taking a look at the code you have tells me it's more likely the DEF tank sensor and not the pump. In any case the Emergency Start Procedure will work. Also if the DEF warning is encountered and you're down to the "50 miles before no start" you can continue to drive, just can't shut the truck off. I know this might not be practical.

I hope all turns out well and keep us informed.

OBD II Fault Code
  • OBD II P203D
OBD-II Code Diagonostic Trouble Code is defined as a Reductant Level Sensor Circuit High

Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) is used to assist in converting leftover exhaust particles to harmless gases. In order to burn off those particles, the temperature of the exhaust system needs to increase. the injection of DEF Fluid into the exhaust stream brings Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) up to temperature. The system is then able to convert harmful NOx to Nitrogen, Carbon Dioxide, and water. The Reductant Catalyst (SRC) was added to further reduce any NOx was still in the exhaust stream. The Reductant Level Sensor tells the engine computer (PCM) how much DEF is left in the tank. If the PCM detects an implausible signal from the Reductant Level Sensor, code P203D is set. This sensor is usually built into the Reductant Tank.

Common Problems That Trigger the P203D Code
  • DEF tank is damaged

Swashplate97

Jul 7, 2019
Truck Year
Taking a look at the code you have tells me it's more likely the DEF tank sensor and not the pump. In any case the Emergency Start Procedure will work. Also if the DEF warning is encountered and you're down to the "50 miles before no start" you can continue to drive, just can't shut the truck off. I know this might not be practical.

I hope all turns out well and keep us informed.

OBD II Fault Code
  • OBD II P203D
OBD-II Code Diagonostic Trouble Code is defined as a Reductant Level Sensor Circuit High

Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) is used to assist in converting leftover exhaust particles to harmless gases. In order to burn off those particles, the temperature of the exhaust system needs to increase. the injection of DEF Fluid into the exhaust stream brings Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) up to temperature. The system is then able to convert harmful NOx to Nitrogen, Carbon Dioxide, and water. The Reductant Catalyst (SRC) was added to further reduce any NOx was still in the exhaust stream. The Reductant Level Sensor tells the engine computer (PCM) how much DEF is left in the tank. If the PCM detects an implausible signal from the Reductant Level Sensor, code P203D is set. This sensor is usually built into the Reductant Tank.

Common Problems That Trigger the P203D Code
  • DEF tank is damaged
I will hot gas and press if that will save me from getting stuck in the desert! Appreciate the info

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year

Have you ever removed the DEF injector right in front of the SCR? The injector gets all plugged up with crystalized DEF.

I clean mine everytime I change the oil, sometimes sooner.

Best way I've learned to tell now if it's plugged up is if I take a quick wiff of the exhaust, if you don't smell def, it's probably plugged or only 1 of the three injector ports is getting fluid through.

It's super easy to do and only takes 2-5 min. (maybe a little longer the first time, it's one allan key to remove the clamp, then hit it with steam, and put it back in)

You'd be surprised how badly crystalized the injector gets even with 3-4 months, it's all crystalized and plugged up right there. If you've never cleaned it, I bet the problem is a plugged injector, and of course the dealer wants to sell you more stuff...

It's so easy to remove, there's a great youtube video, and if you have a hand-held steamer, that works perfect as that will liquify the crystals and the injector comes out spanking clean...

Here's the video from Shawn, who's sadly no longer with us... but has done a lot on his 2014 to help the rest of us.

Scroll ahead to about 4:25 when he experiments with a steamer and realizes DEF chunky crystals comes off like butter leaving the injector brand new again.