• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DEF system warning a shutdown due to ‘improper def fluid’

T-bird

Aug 9, 2022
Truck Year
Hello everyone, i found this site while trying to figure out how to avoid becoming stranded after my 2017 Ram 1500 ecodiesel started to warn me of a ‘no restart’ condition after x miles due to a improper, intermittent def fluid error message. This occurred on a 2200 mile trip from Vancouver Island to Tucson . I made it, and the truck still starts even after the warning distance was exceeded.. The dealer here is booked and has no advice for me, and its the same with all the diesel repair shops too.
i have to leave for home in Port Alberni, BC next Wednesday and i am very concerned the truck may shut down and strand myself , my wife , (both in our 70’s) , and our small dog. I really need some advice.
The DEF is the same brand I have used for 68k miles, its not the fluid, so it must be a sensor, an injector prblem, or a computer glitch. Is the error code that specific? Will i go bankrupt fixing it.
if you’ve bothered to read all the way thru this , thank you

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
It's likely related to DEF Pump or DEF Injector, yes it will eventually derate power or not start.

boosti

Feb 17, 2020
Truck Year
This error recently happened to me. Was driving and the 100 mile countdown begun. Called a dealership and the service manager said to take it to a guy over an hour away to read the codes. I told him you are much closer and my warranty covers the emissions as per the class action settlement. He insisted I go there first. I decided to not take his advice as it will cost me my time and money going to a private mechanic who probably will not be of any help.
I scheduled an appointment with the dealership I purchased the Ecodiesel from. I guess the engine won’t shut down as I am driving to the appointment. It said Engine won’t restart in xx miles Service DEF System See Dealer. I hope anyone with this message can help if they know if the vehicle will go in limp mode after the miles are reached.

boosti

Feb 17, 2020
Truck Year
It's likely related to DEF Pump or DEF Injector, yes it will eventually derate power or not start.
My 2015 Ecodiesel has the Engine Won’t Restart after xx miles. Will the Vehicle stop driving after hitting x miles or go in limp mode. The message “Engine Won’t Restart in xx miles Service DEF System See Dealer”, any information will be great. The dealership I called was of no help. I am scheduled to take it to the dealership I purchased the Ecodiesel from.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
It will go into limp mode....No one I know of has taken to no start behavior...Have you purchased ALFA.ALFA will reset the countdown...as long as the see Dealer message does not display, removing see Dealer generally requires WITech.

boosti

Feb 17, 2020
Truck Year
It will go into limp mode....No one I know of has taken to no start behavior...Have you purchased ALFA.ALFA will reset the countdown...as long as the see Dealer message does not display, removing see Dealer generally requires WITech.
Is limp mode 45 MPH? I have to drive it over 100 miles because of no help from the dealership where I am.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year

You will need to call 📞 me on this 763 228-7121 Todd.

JeepJeep

Apr 6, 2021
Truck Year
I ran into the "no start" issue. Mine was caused by a failure of the nox sensor. Dealer couldn't get part during covid- so we ran it to no start. It will not just shut down while driving. It just won't re start, after being shut off. There's a trick that will allow a restart. The ecu only disables the start relay. If you are in a pinch - with the ignition on, you can momentarily jump the relay, to engage the starter. The relay is in the power center. I don't recall the relay number,or the contact - but I'm pretty sure I found the solution on this forum.

boosti

Feb 17, 2020
Truck Year
I ran into the "no start" issue. Mine was caused by a failure of the nox sensor. Dealer couldn't get part during covid- so we ran it to no start. It will not just shut down while driving. It just won't re start, after being shut off. There's a trick that will allow a restart. The ecu only disables the start relay. If you are in a pinch - with the ignition on, you can momentarily jump the relay, to engage the starter. The relay is in the power center. I don't recall the relay number,or the contact - but I'm pretty sure I found the solution on this forum.
Thanks, one guy said it will shut down when you hit 0 miles. I think that would cause a huge outrage among owners of DEF engines.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Pull out the starter relay, and put the key in the RUN position.
Take a short piece of wire and jump (in the fuse box) between
where pins 30 (3) and 87 (5) on the relay would go.
01b-Starter Relay Pins.jpeg