• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Deleting or Extended Warranty

rrendon17

Sep 11, 2019
Truck Year
Hello everyone!

I’m new this this forum and I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m about 8,000 miles away from my original warranty coming to an end, which is at 100,000 miles. My truck has been in and out of the shop for various reasons, primarily problems that set off the throttle sensor. I’m at the point where I need to decide to either delete my truck or get extended warranty.

One of the most annoying things I’ve been dealing with is the lagging with my acceleration. I mostly notice it when I’m pulling onto highways or going uphills. I’ve heard tuning the truck can fix this issue.

The truck has had about $4500 worth of part repairs and replacement in the past four months which have all been covered by warranty. So you can imagine, not having a warranty is a bit nerve racking.

What is your advice?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
We'll Choices are limited.

1 keep and throw the Nice and hope that snake eyes don't turn up.
2 If its a 2014- 16 hope your AEM warranty 10/120 covers the problems.
3 Tune.
4 Sell or Trade

I traded and Cannot be more relieved the 3.0VM is gone... Until Fiat America wakes up to the facts the 3.0VM in DD use is problematic.

rrendon17

Sep 11, 2019
Truck Year
We'll Choices are limited.

1 keep and throw the Nice and hope that snake eyes don't turn up.
2 If its a 2014- 16 hope your AEM warranty 10/120 covers the problems.
3 Tune.
4 Sell or Trade

I traded and Cannot be more relieved the 3.0VM is gone... Until Fiat America wakes up to the facts the 3.0VM in DD use is problematic.
My truck was hit by a drunk driver a month after having it. Value dropped about 10k. Selling isn’t really an option .

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Ugh...You still have 3 left. At this Point #3 seems appealing.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Tune and drive, enjoy. Even with warranty coverage, good oil, appropriate oil change cycle, Oil analysis at oil change, is called for.
Yes your driving style will affect your issues with the engine.
Now I will state that ALL DEF/SCR/DPF diesel engines are suffering from Daily Driver style of driving. Clogged DPF, overheating, melted rod bearings, blown head gaskets, driving needs is a major consideration. Ford has cut their oil change interval in half for DD use. Their Long Blocks are on back order and Short blocks are on short supply but can be had.These exhaust systems are designed and intended for Highway usage as they were designed and tested on Class 8 trucks as well Industrial stationary engines. I counsel all my customers when they ask about my eco, that if you drive primarily in town stop and go with very little highway that they are better off with a gasoline engine option.

Daniel Kruse

Sep 7, 2019
Truck Year
@rrendon17 Are you in a jurisdiction that inspects vehicles? If not and you never plan on moving to such a jurisdiction, deleting along with the tuning is an option. Tuned and deleted ecodiesel is a youtube of someone deleting and tuning.

What is most of your daily driving - urban or rural?

rrendon17

Sep 11, 2019
Truck Year
@rrendon17 Are you in a jurisdiction that inspects vehicles? If not and you never plan on moving to such a jurisdiction, deleting along with the tuning is an option. Tuned and deleted ecodiesel is a youtube of someone deleting and tuning.

What is most of your daily driving - urban or rural?
Actually, I need to look into that. I just moved back to Texas from California and need to familiarize myself with that. For the most part I’m driving urban.

rrendon17

Sep 11, 2019
Truck Year
Tune and drive, enjoy. Even with warranty coverage, good oil, appropriate oil change cycle, Oil analysis at oil change, is called for.
Yes your driving style will affect your issues with the engine.
Now I will state that ALL DEF/SCR/DPF diesel engines are suffering from Daily Driver style of driving. Clogged DPF, overheating, melted rod bearings, blown head gaskets, driving needs is a major consideration. Ford has cut their oil change interval in half for DD use. Their Long Blocks are on back order and Short blocks are on short supply but can be had.These exhaust systems are designed and intended for Highway usage as they were designed and tested on Class 8 trucks as well Industrial stationary engines. I counsel all my customers when they ask about my eco, that if you drive primarily in town stop and go with very little highway that they are better off with a gasoline engine option.
I see, for the most part I use it as a daily driver, small town though. I’m a realtor and show a lot of ranches and urban listings. For the most part during the 9-5 hour work day the truck is sitting in the parking lot. I’ve put a lot of miles on the truck in this last year but primarily highway.