• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Difference between gen1 v gen3 ecodiesel

taylor1234

May 7, 2024
Truck Year
Hey guys. New to the site here! I did a preliminary search of the forum for discussion on this and couldn’t find any. I recently acquired a 2016 ram ecodiesel in need of a new engine. I am hesitant to swap in a used engine, especially one of the older models. Is there a significant difference between the engine blocks from the 20-22 models, if I was to find one of those for a swap?(I know they are supposed to have been upgraded a bit) otherwise I am figuring on doing a rebuild. Or if there is a thread on this please point me the right direction. Thanks!

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
You cannot put a 20+ motor in a 2016 RAM w/o MAJOR modifications, as far as I know it has not been successfully done yet.
As far as a rebuild goes it appears parts are very hard to source.

taylor1234

May 7, 2024
Truck Year
Thanks. I know parts are hard to find. Got some options to send it out for a rebuild. Apparently some shops can find the parts needed. Got the cab lifted off yesterday. Hope to pull the motor today and dissect to see what went wrong. It is locked up so I’m assuming the typical bottom end failure.

Attachments

• IMG_2205.jpeg
    IMG_2205.jpeg
    333.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2204.jpeg
    IMG_2204.jpeg
    491.5 KB · Views: 9

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Looks like you have a great shop! I would love to follow your progress, keep is posted on how your project goes....

taylor1234

May 7, 2024
Truck Year
Thanks! Got the engine pulled and dropped the pan to take a look. Definitely some carnage down under. Broken rod is jammed between the block and the crank and the bearing is stuck to the crank. Trying to weigh the options now.