• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Differentials and Transfer Case fluid changes

AT Limited

Oct 29, 2019
Truck Year
Recently purchased a 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel and was un sure of the last fluid changes or maintenance etc. Without knowing the past vehicle history I decided to change all three fluids I’m glad I did. All were easy enough just a few added steps than normal. Rear diff was the same at any other truck. Front diff fluid calls for a specific fluid weight in the owners manual. The fluid can’t be or at least I could not find it in the stores but at the dealership. I did find some literature stating its specific fluid weight is for better gas mileage I’m not sure if that’s true but I decided to go with the recommendation from the manual. The Transfer case was the hardest to refill due to the “counter weight” removal. The counterweight requires the removal of four T40 screws with not much room to work because of the DEF tank. I used a T-40 bit and used a wrench on the bit just because of the lack of room to get a ratchet. Some of you might have a much better tool selection and mechanical mind than I do but with my lack of skill and knowledge I was able to do it. If anybody has any questions on how to get these jobs done I am more than happy to answer any questions. I also am open to hear any input to how I could have done this easier.

hossman

Oct 3, 2019
Truck Year
Recently purchased a 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel and was un sure of the last fluid changes or maintenance etc. Without knowing the past vehicle history I decided to change all three fluids I’m glad I did. All were easy enough just a few added steps than normal. Rear diff was the same at any other truck. Front diff fluid calls for a specific fluid weight in the owners manual. The fluid can’t be or at least I could not find it in the stores but at the dealership. I did find some literature stating its specific fluid weight is for better gas mileage I’m not sure if that’s true but I decided to go with the recommendation from the manual. The Transfer case was the hardest to refill due to the “counter weight” removal. The counterweight requires the removal of four T40 screws with not much room to work because of the DEF tank. I used a T-40 bit and used a wrench on the bit just because of the lack of room to get a ratchet. Some of you might have a much better tool selection and mechanical mind than I do but with my lack of skill and knowledge I was able to do it. If anybody has any questions on how to get these jobs done I am more than happy to answer any questions. I also am open to hear any input to how I could have done this easier.
I am changing all my fluids with amsoil next week. I ordered and have all the oil but haven't looked at the fine details yet. front is a 75w-90 severe gear type

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
I should be doing mine as well. Did you need to pull rear diff cover or is there a drain plug?