• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Dirty oil

rmd

Jul 21, 2020
Truck Year
I have a 2015 EcoDiesel that always has dirty oil. Always changed as book. All TSBs & recalls taken care off. The Cummins that i had for 12years was always clean. I change the oil and 100 miles later it is dirty are they all like this ? The oil filter is factory & the oil is Rotella T6 5/40

SLT

Mar 28, 2016
Truck Year
I have a 2015 EcoDiesel that always has dirty oil. Always changed as book. All TSBs & recalls taken care off. The Cummins that i had for 12years was always clean. I change the oil and 100 miles later it is dirty are they all like this ? The oil filter is factory & the oil is Rotella T6 5/40
I have a 2016 Eco Diesel. My Oil is always Black as well. Had Oil Analysis done 3 Times and change Oil at about 8000km. Analysis came back good. Now, why is the Oil so Black? My thought, the EGR is sending all that Exhaust back through the Engine. No wonder it's black.
The New 2020 Engine is said to send the Exhaust back through after it has gone through the Particulate Filter. Better or not?
I'm seriously looking at a 2021 Model. So far none available here in Canada. I was hoping for some Feedback on 3rd Gen Engine.

Reactions: rmd

rmd

Jul 21, 2020
Truck Year
I thank you for the input. I think you are right about the EGR sending all the exhaust back through the oil. I am surprised to only get one comment, i would have thought RAM would have chimed in.

Mxvet0354

Apr 20, 2020
Truck Year
I have a 2020 and up to about 2,300 miles. Should be at 5k pretty quick. Planning oil change and analysis at 5K. I will report my findings. As of now it isn't black, I can still see through it easily on the dipstick.

Reactions: SLT

Green Diesel

Nov 17, 2015
Truck Year
The engine oil is dirty due to poor combustion in the cylinders. A portion of the soot leaks past the rings. EGR is a separate circuit and will clog intakes with a dirty tune like factory.

Ronald Doupe

Mar 18, 2018
Truck Year
Correct, soot gets past the rings, Diesel engines have much higher compression than a gas engine, and diesel combustion causes more soot than gas, it hurts nothing, my Cummins was the same, my motorhome the same, my motorhome Kubota engine for the generator same thing, my old
long gone Ford 7.3 same thing, as was the Mercedes 300SD, they all do it just service it per the manual and drive it dirty oil is completely normal

Will_CathVT

Jul 9, 2019
Truck Year
Mine is always dirty, I usually do an oil and filter change around 7500 at a RAM dealer. I don't want to give FCA any reason to balk on the warranty.