• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DTCs P0299, P245B, and/or P2D2F- what’s going on

mikekeenan

Sep 28, 2022
Truck Year
I have a 2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel. In mid-April I got the Service Electronic Throttle Control message with the DTC P0299 (77,000 miles). After some research I decided to try cleaning the soot out of the MAP and sensor then clear the code. Service Electronic Throttle Control message with the DTC P0299 was back within a few weeks. I took it to 3 dealerships in the Fort Worth area before one had a diesel tech on staff (crazy right?). By this time, it was early June. That dealership determined the solution was to replace the EGR Cooler. They did that under warranty and had it back to me after a couple weeks. On my way home from the dealership the check engine light came on- this time P245B. I took it back a couple days later (early July). It took them 3 weeks of testing and communicating with Chrysler to decide that the solution is to replace the exhaust temperature sensor ($520). I called Ram Customer Care to explain what is going on and see if there is anyway this is under warranty. They basically just asked the dealership if they thought it was related to the previous problem. The dealer said they didn’t think it was so Ram Care told me there was nothing they could do. I paid the $520 and got the sensor replaced. I drove the truck for a few weeks locally and on some longer trips with no issues. Then I drove the truck 2,000 miles on a trip, still no issues. The day after my trip (80,000 miles), I started my truck and got a P2D2F code. I took it to a fourth, different dealership in a more rural area hoping they had technicians that were more familiar with diesel engines. They quickly diagnosed that the issue was that the cylinder 5 injector is over fueling and the cylinder 4 injector is under fueling. They came to this conclusion after a “manual fuel system test” and the solution would be to replace all the injectors and lines for $2,900. I am going to reach back out to Chrysler but hopefully someone on here has some advice.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
I have a 2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel. In mid-April I got the Service Electronic Throttle Control message with the DTC P0299 (77,000 miles). After some research I decided to try cleaning the soot out of the MAP and sensor then clear the code. Service Electronic Throttle Control message with the DTC P0299 was back within a few weeks. I took it to 3 dealerships in the Fort Worth area before one had a diesel tech on staff (crazy right?). By this time, it was early June. That dealership determined the solution was to replace the EGR Cooler. They did that under warranty and had it back to me after a couple weeks. On my way home from the dealership the check engine light came on- this time P245B. I took it back a couple days later (early July). It took them 3 weeks of testing and communicating with Chrysler to decide that the solution is to replace the exhaust temperature sensor ($520). I called Ram Customer Care to explain what is going on and see if there is anyway this is under warranty. They basically just asked the dealership if they thought it was related to the previous problem. The dealer said they didn’t think it was so Ram Care told me there was nothing they could do. I paid the $520 and got the sensor replaced. I drove the truck for a few weeks locally and on some longer trips with no issues. Then I drove the truck 2,000 miles on a trip, still no issues. The day after my trip (80,000 miles), I started my truck and got a P2D2F code. I took it to a fourth, different dealership in a more rural area hoping they had technicians that were more familiar with diesel engines. They quickly diagnosed that the issue was that the cylinder 5 injector is over fueling and the cylinder 4 injector is under fueling. They came to this conclusion after a “manual fuel system test” and the solution would be to replace all the injectors and lines for $2,900. I am going to reach back out to Chrysler but hopefully someone on here has some advice.
Wow, P0299 is for Turbo Under Boost, which will set the Service Electronic Throttle Control message, I fail to see how the EGR cooler would affect that, but since there was and active recall for that system it doesn't hurt. Now the P245B is related to low voltage in the EGR Cooler circuit which may or may not be related to the Exhaust Temp. Sensor. The P2D2F is Cold Start Turbo Under Boost.
The dealership with qualified diesel techs is imperative for positive outcomes of repairs. If possible I would make the rural dealer my go to. My wife's Jeep GC had the same issue, over fueling of two injectors, which was causing a constant DPF Regeneration cycle and eventual 100% Full and limp home mode. A good tech found the injector issue with the same test you refer. We lucked out parts replaced by AEM Warranty
Good luck.