• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Eco Diesel 3.0 Engine Long Term Survival - GDE Tune

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
Hey I am CS in Alabama, I am new here but I have had my 2015 truck for four years and 75k miles. Great truck so far - not one single repair ever. I am running the GDE tune it seems it really helps this engine. I see from the demand data for the engine, as a part, that about 5% of our 3.0 diesel engines, mostly from 2014 and 2015 builds have bit the dust. The engines have failed early (under 10k) - failed mid life (around 75k) and late life (300k). Causes include bad assembly, bad cam gear design (no keyway) and bad oil (soot in the oil caused lubrication failure).

But one thing I have never heard of is a 3.0 engine running the GDE tune biting the dust. Maybe it has and maybe it hasn't. I also have not heard of a 2017 or 2018 engine grenading.

So have any of you any first hand info on the failure of any engine running the GDE tune, a 2017 or 2018 engine? I am thinking of trading out and back into a 2019 when the ecodiesel comes back out, especially with an improved engine. But I do want to feel a bit more confident on the engine that I am not rolling the dice again.

Njensen

Nov 29, 2016
Truck Year
I took delivery of a ecodiesel in January 2015 and during second oil change (at 10000 miles) I removed the EGR tube located on inlet manifold to see the soot formation inside. Not pretty and I replaced the ECU with a unit from GDE and has until now at 92000 miles not had a single issue to report beside that my oil almost is at the cleanless level of a gas engine up to 5000 miles and my exhaust regeneration has been steady, regenerating at 740 miles +/- 40 miles. Only negative observation related to tune is longer warmup periods after cold weather starts due to no EGR recirculation but just plugs in the block heater on the few nights here in the south where themperatutes gets in the 30 ties. Engine noise / combustion noise might have changed slightly because of the injection profile but both of the negative observations is nothing compared with the benefits and confidence that engines longivity will be improved and plan on keeping truck for 10 years or arround 200,000 miles. Looking forward to see more information from other members.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
I took delivery of a ecodiesel in January 2015 and during second oil change (at 10000 miles) I removed the EGR tube located on inlet manifold to see the soot formation inside. Not pretty and I replaced the ECU with a unit from GDE and has until now at 92000 miles not had a single issue to report beside that my oil almost is at the cleanless level of a gas engine up to 5000 miles and my exhaust regeneration has been steady, regenerating at 740 miles +/- 40 miles. Only negative observation related to tune is longer warmup periods after cold weather starts due to no EGR recirculation but just plugs in the block heater on the few nights here in the south where themperatutes gets in the 30 ties. Engine noise / combustion noise might have changed slightly because of the injection profile but both of the negative observations is nothing compared with the benefits and confidence that engines longivity will be improved and plan on keeping truck for 10 years or arround 200,000 miles. Looking forward to see more information from other members.
same experience - all positive