• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Eco Diesel Engine maintenance and upgrades

Willy2023

Nov 14, 2023
Truck Year
I am New to this site and I have a 2015 Ram Eco Diesel with 63k miles in California. What can I do to my engine that will help prevent future problems in California that will not get me in trouble. ?

StanRam2

Jul 6, 2023
Truck Year
I am New to this site and I have a 2015 Ram Eco Diesel with 63k miles in California. What can I do to my engine that will help prevent future problems in California that will not get me in trouble. ?
Move to Texas? 😂 Just kidding. Green Diesel Engineering has tune that is amazing. Google them.

rodd

Mar 19, 2022
Truck Year
I would change your and test your old oil and use a high quality oil like Amsoil or Lorenzo's Oil. Testing your oil will tell you what kind of wear there is on the inside of the engine. Soot from the EGR is your enemy. Soot is cooled in the EGR and then dumped into your oil causing premature failure of these engines. Mine failed at 113k but I have heard of some failing as soon as 60k miles. I would add a bypass filter to help clean the soot out of your oil. Amsoil makes a universal kit, but I got one from Insane Diesel because they have a kit for Ecodiesels. There are other bypass systems out there, however I opted for what I thought was the easiest to DIY install. I went 20k miles on Amsoil using the bypass system and my test results said it was still good and I could continue using it. I changed it and saved it just incase I need it. I also use Insane diesels fuel additive. It causes the fuel to burn cleaner with less soot. I have gone through a tank of def every 10k to about every 17k now. It looks like it's climbing because I have about 1/2 tank of def and I am at 15k. It looks like I will blow past it. I'm here in CA as well so cant do anything illegal.

Willy2023

Nov 14, 2023
Truck Year
Hi Rod, thanks for the information. Testing my oil sounds like a good idea. I have some Cat Diesel testing kits in my garage. I was looking to buy another Commercial Fishing Vessel and picked up a few Kits to test the oil of a boat that I might purchase. I decided not to buy another boat but now I can use the kits. I saw the Insane Diesel Video for adding the bypass oil filter and it looked fairly simple. There are others on the marketplace at lower prices. But Insane

Willy2023

Nov 14, 2023
Truck Year
Diesel’s version looks promising. I guess I hit the post reply button too early. I hear GDE offers a great re-tune but not for Ca. I have to look into that. Why did you remove the bypass filter?

rodd

Mar 19, 2022
Truck Year
Diesel’s version looks promising. I guess I hit the post reply button too early. I hear GDE offers a great re-tune but not for Ca. I have to look into that. Why did you remove the bypass filter?
It is still installed. I was referring to the oil I changed at 20k. I still have it since it's good to use if I need it. Any bypass system is better than stock. On my last diesel I built my own bypass system. I just didn't feel like doing that this time. When I got mine Insane was the only ones who had a kit for our trucks. There are others out there now. The insane one is well put together and high quality. I can only speak to them and Amsoil's universal. I know Sysco the big food/restaurant delivery company uses Insane's bypass, oil, and fuel additive. My friend their said that they have increased the fuel efficiency of their trucks by 15% and they aren't replacing DEF systems every year. Since I've made the switch I get better fuel economy and using less DEF. If money is an issue I would build one if I were you. The last one I built 10 years ago cost me about $250 in parts. Today it's probably $350-400. That's about half of what insane charges. I did get a discount from insane because I asked if they had any used ones or 2nd's. I got a 2nd that the writing on the housing was blurry. Worth a try anyway.

Willy2023

Nov 14, 2023
Truck Year
Okay Rodd thanks for clarifying that. I’m going to send an oil sample in to see what going on so far. I haven’t been using my Truck that much because I like to take longer trips with it. I have been using my Wife’s car.

Willy2023

Nov 14, 2023
Truck Year
Has anyone tried a Frantz bypass oil filter on their eco diesel?

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Drive the piss out of it. That's how you keep it alive and healthy. Stop and go life isn't for it. Long highway commutes, Towing, hills, getting hot will keep it healthy. Knock on wood 195k I've put a vacuum pump and had the tone wheel failure which was recall reimbursement eventually.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
It is important to use the proper oil and to change at required intervals or earlier.

Your 2015 originally required Mopar #68001334-PB, 5w-30 (Chrysler MS-11106 Specs)
FCA changed to Shell Rotella T-6, 5w-40 (5th Edition Diesel Supplement, 7/2016)

In April this year a member of another forum called VM Motori, the Ecodiesel manufacturer,
and asked them what is the best oil for his Ecodiesel. They said:
Synthetic European oil, MS-12991, 5w-40.

There are two major oil companies for Synthetic European oil, MS-12991, 5w-40:
Quaker State Euro Full Synthetic 5W-40 - 5-Quart 22.97 Walmart & Amazon
Pennzoil Platinum Euro Full Synthetic 5W-40 - 5-Quart 26.44 Walmart & Amazon

Here are my rules for changing oil:
1 - Remove the oil fill cap.
2 - Open Fumato valve (or drain plug) and let the oil drain for 30-45 minutes.
3 - Remove the oil filter.
4 - install the new filter, oil the O-Ring
5 - Close the Fumato valve (or install the drain plug).
6 - Fill with 10.5 qts oil.
7 – Wait 20-30 minutes before starting allowing the oil to fill all passages.
8 - Run engine for 1 minute. Shut off, wait 20-30 minutes to final check oil level.
9 - Reset the EVIC Oil Life. On the confirm screen scroll up or down to get “OK” screen.
Scroll up or down to get “OK” on the center window. Then push to confirm.

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year
Move to Texas? 😂 Just kidding. Green Diesel Engineering has tune that is amazing. Google them.
Texas doesn’t have a diesel emissions inspection, I deleted about a year ago and wish I had done it the day my warrant ran out.

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year
What kind of trouble?

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
GDE cannot sell to Califunny vehicles. They have tried to get CARB approval but so far unsuccessful.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
What kind of trouble?
Califunny has very strict smog inspections. If any code or engine light is present the truck will not pass smog. Califunny requires an Ecodiesel to have all emissions system parts intact, no aftermarket add-ons unless they have a CARB-approved sticker, and all Ram emissions-type recalls must be completed. Otherwise, they will not register the truck. Any tune is illegal.

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year
Califunny has very strict smog inspections. If any code or engine light is present the truck will not pass smog. Califunny requires an Ecodiesel to have all emissions system parts intact, no aftermarket add-ons unless they have a CARB-approved sticker, and all Ram emissions-type recalls must be completed. Otherwise, they will not register the truck. Any tune is illegal.
I thought Cali was in America? lol
No emissions inspection required here in Texas, mine is deleted and tuned, runs cooler, picked up 40hp, no def, wish I had done it day one.

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year
BTW, climate change is a hoax and a scare tactic, fear = Obedience.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I thought Cali was in America? lol
No emissions inspection required here in Texas, mine is deleted and tuned, runs cooler, picked up 40hp, no def, wish I had done it day one.
Be careful how you vote for Pres. If Newsome runs and wins he'll turn the USA and Texas into a Califunny

Shalez87

Mar 1, 2024
Truck Year
Hello all! I have a 2022 1500 ecodiesel. Question about tuning. Does that void the manufacturer warranty, or extended warranty, from the dealership? I was able to get the hpfp recall completed at the dealership a couple months ago. I went in for an oil change and they happened to have parts, so I guess I got lucky. Does anyone use fuel additives, if so, which ones?