• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Eco Diesel Exhaust Filter issues

Bob S.

Sep 1, 2016
Truck Year
I do a lot of driving never getting above 80 k and find the filter fills rapidly and when it gets above 65 to70 % it usually goes into regen mode but at low speed City driving I have found that I cannot maintain sufficient temperature and it drops out of regen mode, never completely regen and building up higher soot levels.
The regen system work very well at HWY speeds but sucks at low speed driving speeds at city speeds!
I can do one of two things to get the burn done:
When it goes into regen cycle I will use the manual shift mode to keep the turbo temp. above 620 degrees (while city driving) and can complete the burn down to 9% that means keeping the engine at about 2200 rpm for the cycle which takes about 10 minutes.
Or as discussed use the Edge CTS II to do a regen cycle. That being said I still find at low speed running I need to keep the turbo temp above 620 degrees to get the the regen full completed.
Having the Edge II is the best addition I made for my driving conditions!

Donald Bryce

Mar 30, 2018
Truck Year
Yeah I have that's the problem and they can't figure it out
I HAD MY FIRST REGEN ON MY 2014 IT SAID 80% DRIVE HWY I GOT A GOOD SEC OF ROAD YOU CAN SEE FOR FIVE MILES KEPT IT AT 130 TO 140 DOWN AND BACK REGEN CAME DOWN TO 30% BUT SWIRL VALVES ONLY HALF WORKING CODE P200B-00

Angelaj67

Feb 19, 2019
Truck Year
sounds like you need to try to do more highway driving/longer trips. regens on these trucks really don't take a long time at all
I have this same issue and i drive the highway at a good 80mph at least 2-3 days a week. I think i have a lemon too, now they are saying this new code is the particulate matter sensor needs replaced.

Angelaj67

Feb 19, 2019
Truck Year
I have some issues with my 2016 Eco Diesel. I have had to deal with a full DPF, i have had to get it regenerated 2 times already in the last year and the engine light came on again today. Todays code was P24B3, and they are saying when they replace that particulate matter sensor. they tell me that when they replace that it usually breaks the DPF?? am i getting the run around?? they also told me that i can drive my truck until i get it fixed and i dont risk breaking down? we are leaving for Illinois in the afternoon tomorrow and i dont want it to go into limp mode on my travels and get stuck at another dealership?? HELP!!

Kimberlyhope

Apr 16, 2019
Truck Year
Hello, Im new to this forum but I post for a purpose. I have a 2016 Ram 1500 Laramie ecodiesel 4x4. Thought Id try this nice looking truck. Heard great reviews on it too. Heres the problem, I have a lemon!!!..Bought in Dec. 2015, a 2016. In Sept. 2016 exhaust filler full, see dealer and service throttle body check engine light came on. No power fastest I cud go limping to dealer was 30mph. After 5 days they say they flashed the PCM..blah blah blah..at that time it had 5700 miles. Now go ahead to 2/23/17 and here we go again same issues, same messages...but this time was on the freeway gong 70mph in carpool lane..had too somehow get over to the right in emergency lande with my young son. Again limped it into the dealer. Of course they had it another 5 days...then they call me and say I needed an oil change!!!..so they did that..then they flashed the PCM, blah blah...fixed right...uh no I get it back and within 1.5 weeks 150 miles in between..its starting again,,,,"Exhaust filler 90% full. Drive safely at highway speeds to remedy"..now just waiting for the throttle body message to come up and ta da I'm back in the dealer..probably tomorro or Friday. Yes I have filed a complaint with Chrysler/Dodge as a lemon. Now waiting until the resolution person calls me back and yeah, pretty sure I don't want it back even if they say they did the same dam thing again. I can't depend on this $50,000 plus truck now even with summer coming up and with family I can be stuck in the middle of nowhere with this issue. I should have done my homework alot more on this engine..Im going back to the 5.7 Hemi as I had in my 09 dodge...any thoughts people?
Have the same truck with the same problem..just picked mine up from dealer. They said my oil was low and it would not allow it to go through regen process..this is the 2nd time in 4 months. I am sick!

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
oil has nothing to do with regen the only thing that will fix it is a tune

Gary Winter

Nov 19, 2017
Truck Year
I have a 2017. Fuel pump disintegrated sending metal pieces through fuel system. After 8 months at dealer they replaced engine. 200 miles later, while at detail shop cleaning mold out of cab from 8 months of sitting at dealership with a leak, exhaust was 100% full and needs to go back to dealership. I feel I got a lemon too, but after reading these forums this type of Ram truck seems to be a lemon! So frustrated!

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
The first thing I did after buying my 17 was order an EDGE INSIGHT 3 and program it to monitor soot levels, all 3 exhaust emperatures, and REGEN STATUS, plus some other PID'S, it affords me the knowledge of knowing what's happening with the DPF and REGENS,, these trucks SUCK as a daily driver in town where it never finishes a proper regen. I think FCA could save a bunch of warranty work and pissed off customers by integrating these features into the factory gauge packages.

Barney

Apr 5, 2016
Truck Year
I have a 2016 and have had frequent regens due to 80 percent clogged DPF. When you say drive at highway speeds that means to me, unless you are on the freeway, roughly 50 mph. The filter will not complete a regen unless the engine RPM is between 2,000 and 2,500 RPM. So you need to drive at around 70 MPH or drive in a lower gear to complete the regen. If you don't see the percentage decreasing to 20 percent, it will go into limp mode because the regen did not complete.

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
The achilles heel of the ECO is the DPF/REGENS and EGR, MOPAR screwed up when they neglected to include a way to monitor REGEN status and initiate a manual REGEN. ALFAOBD has the capability to initiate it, EDGE INSIGHT 3 will monitor soot level and REGEN status, EDGE INSIGHT2 will do both, the 3 affords more monitoring options but will not initiate a manual REGEN. When my truck starts a REGEN I drive till it's finished.

Cbelt

May 3, 2022
Truck Year
Do these soot monitors like the edge insight 2 effect the warranty? My past experiences are that a dealer will fail to do warranty work for any reason they can find.
second how long does a regen take? If driving 70 MPG.
I LOVE MY ECO DIESEL so far 18000 miles.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Do these soot monitors like the edge insight 2 effect the warranty? My past experiences are that a dealer will fail to do warranty work for any reason they can find.
second how long does a regen take? If driving 70 MPG.
I LOVE MY ECO DIESEL so far 18000 miles.
An edge monitor would have no effect on warranty. all you have to do is unplug it if you are worried.

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
The Edge units will plug into the OBD2 port and give expanded access to the same info that OBD scantools have and the same info that is used by the ECM to monitor engine coolant temperature, oil pressure, oil temperature, battery voltage etc, most of the parameters are user configuable on the dash panel through the EVIC. The EDGE CTS 2 in some ways is preferred over the 3 because it has the ability to force a stationary regen

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
Does anyone know if the exhaust filter regeneration can be triggered to start at a lower level? My engine alerts me at 80% full. This is OK if you can drive at highway speeds. However sometimes I am stuck in traffic and it quickly goes to 90% in a few miles. One time it went into limp home mode and I had to take it to the dealer to be reset.
The regens are supposed to complete in the background, seamlessly, if it gets to the point of showing 80% or more full it's because the regen has not finished several times, that's the purpose of adding a monitor. These trucks aren't great for short trips or city stop & go driving. The first thing I did was add a monitor, it also gives a plethora of other PID's that you can keep an eye on, boost pressure exhaust temps(which can also indicate an ongoing regen), it can show DEF level fuel rail pressure and on and on. I think most problems with the DPF can be resolved by allowing regens to complete.

bnevins1

Mar 22, 2022
Truck Year
Hello, Im new to this forum but I post for a purpose. I have a 2016 Ram 1500 Laramie ecodiesel 4x4. Thought Id try this nice looking truck. Heard great reviews on it too. Heres the problem, I have a lemon!!!..Bought in Dec. 2015, a 2016. In Sept. 2016 exhaust filler full, see dealer and service throttle body check engine light came on. No power fastest I cud go limping to dealer was 30mph. After 5 days they say they flashed the PCM..blah blah blah..at that time it had 5700 miles. Now go ahead to 2/23/17 and here we go again same issues, same messages...but this time was on the freeway gong 70mph in carpool lane..had too somehow get over to the right in emergency lande with my young son. Again limped it into the dealer. Of course they had it another 5 days...then they call me and say I needed an oil change!!!..so they did that..then they flashed the PCM, blah blah...fixed right...uh no I get it back and within 1.5 weeks 150 miles in between..its starting again,,,,"Exhaust filler 90% full. Drive safely at highway speeds to remedy"..now just waiting for the throttle body message to come up and ta da I'm back in the dealer..probably tomorro or Friday. Yes I have filed a complaint with Chrysler/Dodge as a lemon. Now waiting until the resolution person calls me back and yeah, pretty sure I don't want it back even if they say they did the same dam thing again. I can't depend on this $50,000 plus truck now even with summer coming up and with family I can be stuck in the middle of nowhere with this issue. I should have done my homework alot more on this engine..Im going back to the 5.7 Hemi as I had in my 09 dodge...any thoughts people?

I have a 2015 ED Laramie Long Horn. I have had a couple of the same issues you've experienced. I had to take my truck to the dealer to have the dpf replaced within the first six months of owing it. I purchased my truck from a dealer in the U.S. I found out two months later and almost six thousand miles when my engine had a catastrophic failure due to the injectors failing that the truck was originally sold in Canada. That meant with only 30,000 miles my motor was not covered by Chrysler/Ram 100,000 mile warranty. The motor cost $13,600 and came with a new set of injectors. I too inquired about filing a lemon car complaint. I found out that this is only available to the original owner. Fortunately I purchased an aftermarket extended warranty when I financed the truck and they paid for my new motor.

johnq

Jul 22, 2023
Truck Year
Eco deisel here, 2016 ram eco, 100% full exhaust 2 hours into 800 km vacation, now I have to try and get it back on the highway 1 hour away. Is it just a reset? What's the cost for something like that at Chrysler? Can I even make it there? Stuck unexpectedly gggsss