• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Eco diesel oil filter

DCG58

Mar 29, 2024
Truck Year
I recently had the oil changed at the dealership, love those $300 changes. So I’m on a trip down the Baja to see a friend. 1500 miles from home , start the truck in the morning and have oil pouring out from around the filter. Found a dealership in San Jose del Cabo that can get a filter and the Pennzoil. They will have it in a week or two. Has anyone else had this problem? Not sure if it’s the filter, it is plastic.
Could it be something else.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I wouldn't expect the filter unless it's some Chinese knockoff. I would more expect it wasn't tightened properly and came loose on the road to Baja. You are lucky it didn't happen while driving, it could have lunched the engine. The dealer owes you one

DCG58

Mar 29, 2024
Truck Year
I wouldn't expect the filter unless it's some Chinese knockoff. I would more expect it wasn't tightened properly and came loose on the road to Baja. You are lucky it didn't happen while driving, it could have lunched the engine. The dealer owes you one
It was a blessing in disguise. Parked the truck in the driveway the evening I got there, started it the next morning and saw the oil pouring out. I just pulled the 2 week old filter and can’t see any cracks or o ring issues. I’ll hang out with friends for a week until I get the new filter and oil. I hell, let’s go surfing!

BTdriver

Aug 30, 2018
Truck Year
I second Mr. Jensen's comment - I would suspect O-ring (you checked that), and then not tightened properly.

DCG58

Mar 29, 2024
Truck Year
I pulled the filter, it wasn’t loose. Cleaned and examined the o rings. I’m not a mechanic by any means but I can’t see anything suspicious. I looked for a crack and didn’t notice any. A friend thought it could be a crack in the housing?
The new filter is $196 US at the dealership in SanJose and the oil is $22 a quart. Thought the USA was expensive! Better spend the money and have a truck. Hope it will be here sometime this week. Thanks guys for the help.

BTdriver

Aug 30, 2018
Truck Year
Aye caramba! That is spendy. Hope the filter includes a new plastic cap.

DCG58

Mar 29, 2024
Truck Year
Truck is a 2021. The cartridge is attached to the cap as a complete assembly. Of course you know that, you just didn’t know the year of my truck. I’m concerned the damage is something other than the filter but it doesn’t sound like it is anything else but the filter.
I did think the cartridge Felt a little loose within the cap but like I said, I’m not a mechanic.

BTdriver

Aug 30, 2018
Truck Year
Actually, I didn't know that. My truck is a 2015 and the filter element is removed from the cap for replacement and the cap reused.

I agree, sounds like just a filter issue - defect of some sort.

DCG58

Mar 29, 2024
Truck Year
Hey guys, just installed my new oil filter and oil. Lubed up the o rings and torqued it to 25 nm.
No leaks. The dealership down here sold me Castrol 5w 40.
euro full synthetic. They showed me a list of approved oils and that one is on the list.
At any rate I guess I’ll be driving home in a few days.
Thanks for all of your help.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Hey guys, just installed my new oil filter and oil. Lubed up the o rings and torqued it to 25 nm.
No leaks. The dealership down here sold me Castrol 5w 40.
euro full synthetic. They showed me a list of approved oils and that one is on the list.
At any rate I guess I’ll be driving home in a few days.
Thanks for all of your help.
FYI regarding euro oil for the Ecodiesel.

In April 2023 a member of another forum called VM Motori, the Ecodiesel manufacturer, he asked them what is the best oil for his Ecodiesel. They said: "Synthetic European oil, 5w-40, MS-12991". MS-12991 is the important factor.

I know that Quaker State and Pennzoil euro oils are MS-12991. Castrol does not list it as MS-12991, but the vehicles, like Porsche, that it does list, I believe require MS-12991. That is probably why it is on the Mexican's approved oil list.

Glad you got it resolved.

bob5000

Aug 7, 2023
Truck Year
Don't use anything but rotella T6, euro spec oil was changed back in 2016 due to engine failure. Wouldn't use anything else

DCG58

Mar 29, 2024
Truck Year
Thanks for the info. That said, even the dealership service department uses either mopar oil and penzoil euro full synthetic oil when they change the oil. the ram dealership in Cabo showed me a list with Castol euro full synthetic on it.
They had that one , mopar and the penzoil for sell.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Don't use anything but rotella T6, euro spec oil was changed back in 2016 due to engine failure. Wouldn't use anything else
Ecodiesel vehicles built before June 2016 specs were changed in June 2016 to use 5w-40 oil and recommended Rotella T-6 or equivalent. Engine failures have nothing to do with brands of oil, only viscosity.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year

DCG58

Mar 29, 2024
Truck Year
Good morning all, made it back home in the good ol USA. My 1500 longhorn ran flawlessly. 31MPG.
Been reading through all the posts this morning regarding the oil and filter for my gen 3 eco diesel.
I checked the back of the Castrol 5w 40 euro full synthetic and this oil is listed ms12991.
It lists several other brands and numbers as well but it says right on the label Chrysler MS12991.
Forgive me for my lack of knowledge but just what is MS12991 anyway?
I also Googled for a list of oils with that listing and there must be a dozen oils listed.
Funny thing though. As BOB5000 said to use Rotella T6, but it's not on the list
Mr. Jensen, thank you for your help and information. Turns out the filter issue was a flaw in the filter housing. must have had a hairline crack that
finally opened up.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Good morning all, made it back home in the good ol USA. My 1500 longhorn ran flawlessly. 31MPG.
Been reading through all the posts this morning regarding the oil and filter for my gen 3 eco diesel.
I checked the back of the Castrol 5w 40 euro full synthetic and this oil is listed ms12991.
It lists several other brands and numbers as well but it says right on the label Chrysler MS12991.
Forgive me for my lack of knowledge but just what is MS12991 anyway?
I also Googled for a list of oils with that listing and there must be a dozen oils listed.
Funny thing though. As BOB5000 said to use Rotella T6, but it's not on the list
Mr. Jensen, thank you for your help and information. Turns out the filter issue was a flaw in the filter housing. must have had a hairline crack that
finally opened up.
I am so glad you had no engine damage, could get it fixed, and returned home safely.

ramm440

Dec 15, 2023
Truck Year
Not Listed
Glad I sold my 2023! In the US the EPA is ruining all diesels by making them ingest their waste matter. Like a human eating poop!
Should never have sold my 2003 cummins.