• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EcoD Engine Failures - my theory :)

autoX

Nov 6, 2022
Truck Year
At the shop to get my 2015 replaced engine/deleted only 30K miles btw. The tech said hey your oil type likely contributed to failure. I was using Lucas CJ4 spec, synthetic 5dub40.

Bearing loading is a function of the load applied vs the surface area, alignment & oil film support. If it's on the razor-edge of brand or +/- viscosity, even when exceeding all specs (like Lucas), God help us! So Im not buying that theory.

In fact the emails for FCA indicate to me they are hoping to reduce the failure rates by upping the viscosity. Which is a big hope.

VM Morbititi Spa had these 3.0 engines first application as marine diesels. Those are essentially open exhaust, and fluid coupled driveline, under high but constant torque x rpm and horsepower whilst cruising.

Ram EcoD application is a different deal:
1. Significant restriction on exhaust stroke, causing crank twist/torque. We can see this from mpg of deleted vs stock trucks.
2. Low rpm, high torque loads - road vs marine. Transmission programming for FE causing driveline resonances
3. The above resulting in catastrophic failure of the engine crank system

People say EGR soot, but that stuff is soft and oil friendly. I don't see that as being a major mechanical issue unless there is a significant degrade in oil support as a result. I don't see that as being the issue.

The longer the engine stays intact, the better. I think that if the engine goes the distance the bearings will have better performance. Hiway driving is best
And as the youtube diesel-heros say, the emissions delete, unfortunately helps in reducing twist, and also weight. I think anytime you can offload weight from the truck the better. EG H8 antigravity battery, that sort of thing