• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ecodiesel engine change

fcolella

Mar 30, 2021
Truck Year
Hi, my engine experienced a catastrophic failure (crankshaft seizure) last year. Got no help from the dealer or from Chrysler. I had it changes for a second hand engine at the local garage. I got away with a $10,000 bill... swallow the pill and move one, or so I thought. Well, last Sunday, after barely 24,000 k, the engine started making a clonking noise so I stopped and had it towed to the same shop. Well, they just told me it's a cranks shaft issue once again. At best, its a bearing on a piston end, at worst its a cranckshaft rebuild... so at best 3000-5000$ and at worst 10,000-15,000$. Anyway, has anybody replaced the Ecodiesel engine with another engine? Would a Ram 2500 diesel or a cummins fit in there? Just don't want to keep that 3.0 Liter engine in there. Thanks.

SeanPwnery

Nov 30, 2022
Truck Year
Banks makes an aftermarket modified "off-road or racing" only version called the 630T - as near as I can tell, it addresses a lot of the problems that plague our Pasta-diesels. Technically a Cummins 6BT will fit, since it's essentially the same chassis, but you're going to need a lot of modifications to clear the engine - namely, switching over to a solid-axle front end like the 2500 and 3500's 4x4's have.

I've toyed with the idea of a 4BT swap some day which is the 4-cylinder version of the Cummins 6BT, however you'll have to get lower-mid ranged custom one to get close to the 3-liter's power numbers. Then there's the oil pan concern with the IFS front drive still.

In all honesty, the 630T is the best way to go without going back to a factory setup.

Also, it should be said - keeping the oiling system as clean as possible is paramount to these engines survival and ultimate longevity. I'm about to run an SFT stage 1 tune which will switch off one of the major killers of these engines. Also, I'll be plumbing a 1-liter oil-catch can between the PCV and intake to also catch anything on that end as well. Good filter, Rotella T6, and staying on top of it should likely earn back your trust in the engine. They're not badly designed or made, it's the EPA bulls**t that they forced on these engines that ruin them, and the reputations of those who made them.

mrdiesel

Jun 14, 2023
Truck Year
Banks makes an aftermarket modified "off-road or racing" only version called the 630T - as near as I can tell, it addresses a lot of the problems that plague our Pasta-diesels. Technically a Cummins 6BT will fit, since it's essentially the same chassis, but you're going to need a lot of modifications to clear the engine - namely, switching over to a solid-axle front end like the 2500 and 3500's 4x4's have.

I've toyed with the idea of a 4BT swap some day which is the 4-cylinder version of the Cummins 6BT, however you'll have to get lower-mid ranged custom one to get close to the 3-liter's power numbers. Then there's the oil pan concern with the IFS front drive still.

In all honesty, the 630T is the best way to go without going back to a factory setup.

Also, it should be said - keeping the oiling system as clean as possible is paramount to these engines survival and ultimate longevity. I'm about to run an SFT stage 1 tune which will switch off one of the major killers of these engines. Also, I'll be plumbing a 1-liter oil-catch can between the PCV and intake to also catch anything on that end as well. Good filter, Rotella T6, and staying on top of it should likely earn back your trust in the engine. They're not badly designed or made, it's the EPA bulls**t that they forced on these engines that ruin them, and the reputations of those who made them.
Banks no longer sells the 630t

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I'm about to run an SFT stage 1 tune which will switch off one of the major killers of these engines.
I suggest you avoid SFT and get the MRT tune via EOC. If you decide to go with SFT you've been warned.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
@John Jensen: What is the issue with the SFT tune?
Here's my experience with SFT:
01 - I strongly supported SFT since its beginning.
02 - I have used their ECU & TCU (Rally) tunes since 06/2019.
03 - My dealer completed the FCA W58 (tonewheel) flash.
04 - 6/9/21, I paid SFT $50.00 for their updated W58 tunes.
05 - I Received the SFT W58 update tunes. The ECU tune caused SCR (DEF) codes.
06 - 12/16/21, I received new SFT W58 update tunes but they disabled the SCR (DEF).
07 - I asked SFT for W58 update tunes with the SCR intact. On 12-17-21, SFT (Cris Ramirez)
said it was no longer offered because of too many problems with SCR intact tunes.
08 - Getting nowhere with SFT and wanting a tune with SCR intact, on 6/24/22 @ $1074.69 US
I ordered and installed MRT ECU & TCU tunes via EOC.
09 - Then a forum member reported that SFT does have W58 update tunes with SCR intact.
10 - I questioned SFT (Cris Ramirez) about #07 vs #09 and he denied saying that, and
requested proof. So I sent him proof, the email where he did say that.
11 - 8-23-22, SFT (Cris Ramirez) said it was a misunderstanding and he would send
me the current tunes and needed my current tune data.
12 - 9-1-22, I sent SFT (Cris Ramirez) the requested data.
13 - SFT (Cris Ramirez) has never sent the tunes he promised.
14 - SFT stopped answering my emails or telephone calls.
15 - SFT ghosted me, and has abandoned me as a customer.

Since my experience, others have reported also being ghosted when they challenged SFT.
Several others have reported cases where SFT could not fix a problem.
SFT is dishonest and inept!

Last edited:

M.A.

Nov 29, 2019
Truck Year
Here's my experience with SFT:
01 - I strongly supported SFT since its beginning.
02 - I have used their ECU & TCU (Rally) tunes since 06/2019.
03 - My dealer completed the FCA W58 (tonewheel) flash.
04 - 6/9/21, I paid SFT $50.00 for their updated W58 tunes.
05 - I Received the SFT W58 update tunes. The ECU tune caused SCR (DEF) codes.
06 - 12/16/21, I received new SFT W58 update tunes but they disabled the SCR (DEF).
07 - I asked SFT for W58 update tunes with the SCR intact. On 12-17-21, SFT (Cris Ramirez)
said it was no longer offered because of too many problems with SCR intact tunes.
08 - Getting nowhere with SFT and wanting a tune with SCR intact, on 6/24/22 @ $1074.69 US
I ordered and installed MRT ECU & TCU tunes via EOC.
09 - Then a forum member reported that SFT does have W58 update tunes with SCR intact.
10 - I questioned SFT (Cris Ramirez) about #07 vs #09 and he denied saying that, and
requested proof. So I sent him proof, the email where he did say that.
11 - 8-23-22, SFT (Cris Ramirez) said it was a misunderstanding and he would send
me the current tunes and needed my current tune data.
12 - 9-1-22, I sent SFT (Cris Ramirez) the requested data.
13 - SFT (Cris Ramirez) has never sent the tunes he promised.
14 - SFT stopped answering my emails or telephone calls.
15 - SFT ghosted me, and has abandoned me as a customer.

Since my experience, others have reported also being ghosted when they challenged SFT.
Several others have reported cases where SFT could not fix a problem.
SFT is dishonest and inept!
Sorry for what sft did to you. You was the reason that I got the sft, your post back from 2019. I only have to update sft after a dealer visit that update the software fallowing a recall . All work fine on mine other it suck much more def than stock file. One thing that I find it weird after my last visit to the dealer w the last recall for crankshaft tone wheel software update, switching to stock the engi code come up PO2E1-00 relate to the intake air flow, for that the dealer recommends replacement of throttle valve actuator ( throttle body). No light on with sft tune

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Sorry for what sft did to you. You was the reason that I got the sft, your post back from 2019. I only have to update sft after a dealer visit that update the software fallowing a recall . All work fine on mine other it suck much more def than stock file. One thing that I find it weird after my last visit to the dealer w the last recall for crankshaft tone wheel software update, switching to stock the engi code come up PO2E1-00 relate to the intake air flow, for that the dealer recommends replacement of throttle valve actuator ( throttle body). No light on with sft tune
I was pleased with SFT and their tunes up until this experience. I had read posts from other owners getting ghosted when SFT couldn't fix a problem and the owner challenged SFT. I thought there must be more to the story. Now that I've experienced SFT's wrath, I believe everything I've read from those others.

M.A.

Nov 29, 2019
Truck Year
Sorry for what sft did to you. You was the reason that I got the sft, your post back from 2019. I only have to update sft after a dealer visit that update the software fallowing a recall . All work fine on mine other it suck much more def than stock file. One thing that I find it weird after my last visit to the dealer w the last recall for crankshaft tone wheel software update, switching to stock the engi code come up PO2E1-00 relate to the intake air flow, for that the dealer recommends replacement of throttle valve actuator ( throttle body). No light on with sft tun

I was pleased with SFT and their tunes up until this experience. I had read posts from other owners getting ghosted when SFT couldn't fix a problem and the owner challenged SFT. I thought there must be more to the story. Now that I've experienced SFT's wrath, I believe everything I've read from those others.
A friend of mine just lost the engine on his 2018 @ 81000 miles, no tune just stock, how is your engine doing?

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
A friend of mine just lost the engine on his 2018 @ 81000 miles, no tune just stock, how is your engine doing?
Engine doing fine

SeanPwnery

Nov 30, 2022
Truck Year
I too, took John's experience into consideration before buying my tune. My experience was quite a bit different, but then again, I believe the timing played a factor in my tune as well.

I purchased my SFT tune about two or so weeks ago - this was after my truck had all of its recall work done aside from the HPFP which I literally had replaced months earlier at my own expense. I spoke with Frank several times before and during my purchase and essentially after explaining my goals for this tune, he assured me what I wanted was exactly what they do - EGR off was the main one, the throttle delay going away was a huge welcome bonus, and the trans-tune literally transformed the drivability of my truck 100% for the better.

I can't speak towards re-tunes or tunes prior to a specific recall as all of mine were done, but the All-in-one tune I received I have to say, has done exactly what I was looking for.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I too, took John's experience into consideration before buying my tune. My experience was quite a bit different, but then again, I believe the timing played a factor in my tune as well.

I purchased my SFT tune about two or so weeks ago - this was after my truck had all of its recall work done aside from the HPFP which I literally had replaced months earlier at my own expense. I spoke with Frank several times before and during my purchase and essentially after explaining my goals for this tune, he assured me what I wanted was exactly what they do - EGR off was the main one, the throttle delay going away was a huge welcome bonus, and the trans-tune literally transformed the drivability of my truck 100% for the better.

I can't speak towards re-tunes or tunes prior to a specific recall as all of mine were done, but the All-in-one tune I received I have to say, has done exactly what I was looking for.
Yep! Frank is a winner. He is helpful and knows his stuff. He fixed more than one problem for me. It's when Chris Ramirez, the manager, takes over a case from Frank that it goes to shit.