• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ecodiesel longevity

Bullet

Feb 11, 2020
Truck Year
Hello: I just joined the forum today after buying a 2016 Laramie Longhorn this weekend. I’ve had GM diesels in the past and have learned their weaknesses and how to address those problems. What are the top 3 or 4 things that I should do to the 3.0 Eco in order to make it last longer and/or make it more efficient? I don’t mind spending the money if it will (Bulletproof) the engine.
I apologize in advance is this has already be covered.
Thanks

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Egr delete seems to be number 1. Tune it. Dpf/scr delete if desired, and dealer told me don’t go over 7k on oil changes. 8k only if you absolutely need to.

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
It's often been said the worst thing you can do is use it as a grocery getter, regardless how you set it up with tune etc.
So dont baby it trying to get the highest efficiency possible, as it sometimes needs to work!

Alejandrosmeat

Dec 17, 2019
It's often been said the worst thing you can do is use it as a grocery getter, regardless how you set it up with tune etc.
So dont baby it trying to get the highest efficiency possible, as it sometimes needs to work!

I agree with this, from the numerous posts on this website, it seems people who use the truck for highway driving (towing) seem to have less problems with it, in my opinion.

boosti

Feb 17, 2020
Truck Year
The 2014-2019 have a recall for the EGR cooler. Depending on use, many are reporting decent mileage 23-27 MPG on the highway. The AEM software update has reported that performance has suffered with turbo lag and less MPG.
The few people I know that own the Ecodiesel have mixed opinions. They had many issues and sold them once the warranty was coming to an end.
I like the ride and comfort of my Ecodiesel, it certainly has issues still. Picked it up from the dealer and the coolant smell is still present. The dealer had my truck sitting from December 20th and picked it up Wednesday February 19th.
Hopefully the dealer will make it right as they’re trying to sell me a new Ram.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
You would be correct the wealth of knowledge the topic has been covered but sometimes it is easier to go straight to the point without reading for hours.
1. Use good oil, many good suggestions on this forum, I use Rotella T6 since before FCA announced the change. I change at 10K miles but I also back up with oil analysis to verify that the oil is within parameters.
2. Highway use predominate vs. grocery getter short trips. Allows motor to achieve operating temp which allows for most efficient SCR/DPF operation.
3. I have moved to fuel filter change at each oil change vs. the recommended at 4 oil changes.

Since all the tuners have been shut down except Sofa Tune King and Banks Power Derringer (CARB/EPA approved) the tune option has been thinned down. GDE has stated that they are working on a CARB/EPA approved tune to come out at a later date. The GDE tune reduces soot with fuel map without an EGR turn off or delete, but that is why they got shut down as their original tune turned off the EGR. After the AEM we suffered the worst of the poor running issues and tuned both vehicles before the EPA clamp down. Massive difference to the positive.
I have installed an external oil cooler with secondary oil filter due to the model year 2014 oil to anti freeze cooler/heater failures. It has stabilized coolant temp and oil temp.
I am not a big fan of exhaust delete as the PCM is programed for it and according to Banks Power the turbo is the limiting factor to power and torque output not the exhaust system.
The EGR cooler is under recall, my wife and I both have eco's and have received the recall which states that parts are not available and we will be notified. To the best of my research it is an updated cooler and piping.
I have a 2014 Laramie Longhorn and it converted me from Chevy, ride quality, road noise, engine, brakes, equipped with 3.92 posi differentials. The tune got rid of the dreaded "Service Electronic Throttle System" code which results in Limp Home Mode, carry a scanner that can clear codes. I have had the DEF tank replaced, warranty, the SCR/DPF replaced, recall 2014 specific. We tow a Toyhauler RV aroung 7k lbs, last year to Montana via KS, SD, and WY.
Good maintenance.
Welcome to the site.

Mark Lee

Feb 23, 2020
Truck Year
Egr delete seems to be number 1. Tune it. Dpf/scr delete if desired, and dealer told me don’t go over 7k on oil changes. 8k only if you absolutely need to.
How do you delete the EGR? Whats it cost on a 1500 eco? Can a novice mechanic do it?

Mark Lee

Feb 23, 2020
Truck Year
The 2014-2019 have a recall for the EGR cooler. Depending on use, many are reporting decent mileage 23-27 MPG on the highway. The AEM software update has reported that performance has suffered with turbo lag and less MPG.
The few people I know that own the Ecodiesel have mixed opinions. They had many issues and sold them once the warranty was coming to an end.
I like the ride and comfort of my Ecodiesel, it certainly has issues still. Picked it up from the dealer and the coolant smell is still present. The dealer had my truck sitting from December 20th and picked it up Wednesday February 19th.
Dealer had mine from Dec. 4 to Feb. 4th to put in another similar /suspect EGR after the original smoked out. 5 days later still coolant smell. Dealership said it was from the spilled coolant and it should go away after a few hundred miles. 500 miles later it still stinks up the garage but fluid level appears to be holding. It goes back to dealership tomorrow. HOPEFULLY new EGR system does come out in April and these problems/smells go away.

-STIGLITZ-

Nov 17, 2019
Truck Year
How do you delete the EGR? Whats it cost on a 1500 eco? Can a novice mechanic do it?
It ran me about $1300.00, with tune and delete kit. I’m somewhat mechanically inclined and got the job done. I’d carve out a good 3-4 days of off time, just in case you run into emergencies. Let me know if you have specific questions.

Donnie hall

Feb 27, 2020
Truck Year
It ran me about $1300.00, with tune and delete kit. I’m somewhat mechanically inclined and got the job done. I’d carve out a good 3-4 days of off time, just in case you run into emergencies. Let me know if you have specific questions.
Where would someone purchase this kit at? Thank you in advance

-STIGLITZ-

Nov 17, 2019
Truck Year
Where would someone purchase this kit at? Thank you in advance
I purchased from HD Diesel Supply. Last I heard, they were out of stock. If that’s the case, give them a call. I’m sure there’s a reason for it...

GreesyTaco

Jan 28, 2020
Truck Year
I have an hd diesel kit for sale. New never used, or even out of box. I bought it, then decided instead of "clamp back" I wanted the "turbo back" option. So I bought two. 300 bucks. Buyer pays shipping.

Toyoman

Feb 4, 2020
Truck Year
Did they replace the egr cooler?