• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EGR Bad Again? Dealer says it was not replaced the first time.

reeltex

Feb 17, 2020
Truck Year
I bought my 2016 1500 Eco truck about 2 months ago with under 60K. About 3 weeks ago it left me stranded on the side of the road. I had it towed to local Dealer and they replaced the EGR Cooler "under warranty". I wasn't happy with the way they handled everything and they tried to charge extra, but that is another story. A week later it was running hot so the next day I added a gallon of coolant and have had to add more. I got PO4DB code. I called the Dealer I bought it from which is an hour away and they convinced me to bring it to them. They showed me the date on the EGR Cooler that was "replaced" had a 2016 stamp and they are thinking it was not really replaced. The Tech found were the coolant was still leaking by and the intake had a bunch of black stuff. They are going to replace EGR and blow the intake clean. The EGR valve was replaced about a year ago.

Q1. THE OIL LEVEL WAS VERY HIGH. I told them it likely had coolant in the oil and they said if so it did it would be milky. The service mgr said he would look into but if the Tech is saying no then I am weary they won't look too hard. The Tech said he would change the oil anyway, so IF there WAS coolant would fixing the EGR leak and changing the oil be good enough?

Q2. I still have 10K miles on original warranty. The Tech said because of the recalls, my power-train factory warranty would go to 2026 or 120K miles. Is this true?

Q3. They asked if I had idled the truck lately. I have a habit of letting my truck idle for 5-20 minutes instead of turning it off. They said the Eco's don't like to idle so much and also need to get on it every once in a while. Do y'all minimize idle time?

Q4. After reading a lot of info here it seems the Eco trucks run better with the mods (EGR delete, tune, etc.). I don't want to void any warranty but I would like the engine to last a long time. I will likely do it eventually, should I wait until the warranty is up?

boosti

Feb 17, 2020
Truck Year
I bought my 2016 1500 Eco truck about 2 months ago with under 60K. About 3 weeks ago it left me stranded on the side of the road. I had it towed to local Dealer and they replaced the EGR Cooler "under warranty". I wasn't happy with the way they handled everything and they tried to charge extra, but that is another story. A week later it was running hot so the next day I added a gallon of coolant and have had to add more. I got PO4DB code. I called the Dealer I bought it from which is an hour away and they convinced me to bring it to them. They showed me the date on the EGR Cooler that was "replaced" had a 2016 stamp and they are thinking it was not really replaced. The Tech found were the coolant was still leaking by and the intake had a bunch of black stuff. They are going to replace EGR and blow the intake clean. The EGR valve was replaced about a year ago.

Q1. THE OIL LEVEL WAS VERY HIGH. I told them it likely had coolant in the oil and they said if so it did it would be milky. The service mgr said he would look into but if the Tech is saying no then I am weary they won't look too hard. The Tech said he would change the oil anyway, so IF there WAS coolant would fixing the EGR leak and changing the oil be good enough?

Q2. I still have 10K miles on original warranty. The Tech said because of the recalls, my power-train factory warranty would go to 2026 or 120K miles. Is this true?

Q3. They asked if I had idled the truck lately. I have a habit of letting my truck idle for 5-20 minutes instead of turning it off. They said the Eco's don't like to idle so much and also need to get on it every once in a while. Do y'all minimize idle time?

Q4. After reading a lot of info here it seems the Eco trucks run better with the mods (EGR delete, tune, etc.). I don't want to void any warranty but I would like the engine to last a long time. I will likely do it eventually, should I wait until the warranty is up?
The current recall fix is available for 2014-2015 EGR coolers and being shipped to dealers when the vin number is provided. From what I was told by a service advisor. The oil, fuel filter and coolant are replaced when a coolant leak is detected. My truck also needs a new SCR catalyst. Good thing for the AEM warranty. A new AEM software update is available and gives an additional 12,000 extended warranty.

ScotttA

Jan 10, 2020
Truck Year

Keep searching (see forum)on the high oil level. The owners manual states that is normal to some degree - I guess Its somehow diesel fuel related. I was put off by that myself.

Cj60

May 8, 2020
Truck Year
I just had the recall work done on mine (2015 I got for great price) and sure hope my local Ram dealer did it right. I was on a waiting list and they told me it would take a day to do, but they had it done in 3 hrs. He said "I guess we are getting good at it". I hope they actually changed out the EGR to the "New" one... Paper says they replaced EGR cooler (also lists CSNDVB12AA bushing) so they changed something. Also reflashed to 68303617A1 from 68303617AH.
I have really been enjoying this truck, I sure hope it lasts and I don't regret buying it.
Can anyone give me any tips that may help? I drive it very conservatively, always let it warm up but rarely let it sit and idle longer than 10 minutes. Should I occasionally be "flooring" it? I was very surprised how fast the oil becomes black, but I have never owned a diesel and was told that diesels never have clean oil.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Tune it and delete it if it is not two late...….then u do not need a warranty.....

boosti

Feb 17, 2020
Truck Year
I just had the recall work done on mine (2015 I got for great price) and sure hope my local Ram dealer did it right. I was on a waiting list and they told me it would take a day to do, but they had it done in 3 hrs. He said "I guess we are getting good at it". I hope they actually changed out the EGR to the "New" one... Paper says they replaced EGR cooler (also lists CSNDVB12AA bushing) so they changed something. Also reflashed to 68303617A1 from 68303617AH.
I have really been enjoying this truck, I sure hope it lasts and I don't regret buying it.
Can anyone give me any tips that may help? I drive it very conservatively, always let it warm up but rarely let it sit and idle longer than 10 minutes. Should I occasionally be "flooring" it? I was very surprised how fast the oil becomes black, but I have never owned a diesel and was told that diesels never have clean oil.
The new EGR cooler should have a date code on them. The new software update is also available that will help the turbo lag. The new software update will give you an additional 12,000 miles to the AEM software extended warranty. FCA customer care can assist with the recall for the EGR and current AEM software update. They can contact the dealer and verify the new EGR cooler was installed. I have heard dealers are not replacing the EGR cooler if they find no leak.

Cj60

May 8, 2020
Truck Year
Tune it and delete it if it is not two late...….then u do not need a warranty.....
For someone new to a diesel truck, can you explain to me why a "tune and delete" will take away the concerns, and why the Ram people aren't doing this if it is a "fixall"? I currently live in an area where smog checks aren't necessary, but that doesn't mean I won't someday. Dang this is confusing...

Cj60

May 8, 2020
Truck Year
The new EGR cooler should have a date code on them. The new software update is also available that will help the turbo lag. The new software update will give you an additional 12,000 miles to the AEM software extended warranty. FCA customer care can assist with the recall for the EGR and current AEM software update. They can contact the dealer and verify the new EGR cooler was installed. I have heard dealers are not replacing the EGR cooler if they find no leak.
So is the EGR cooler visible from the outside? The service guy said they replaced it with the updated cooler, "that's why you had to wait till we got one in"... But, if there is a number visible to verify it, I surely will do that just to be sure... He also said that there were a lot of higher mileage 2015's out there that have never had an issue, but rarely do people go on the forum's that have no complaints... Got this truck with 55k on it for $18k... Sure glad I didn't pay what the guy I bought it from did. He had to pay an extra $10k on top of what I gave him just to pay it off.. Oooouch!

Cj60

May 8, 2020
Truck Year
Its against the law 4 them to do it
Figures....
Can you explain why a delete will prevent problems? I was beginning to think the engine was simply crap reading up on it on several forums...

boosti

Feb 17, 2020
Truck Year
So is the EGR cooler visible from the outside? The service guy said they replaced it with the updated cooler, "that's why you had to wait till we got one in"... But, if there is a number visible to verify it, I surely will do that just to be sure... He also said that there were a lot of higher mileage 2015's out there that have never had an issue, but rarely do people go on the forum's that have no complaints... Got this truck with 55k on it for $18k... Sure glad I didn't pay what the guy I bought it from did. He had to pay an extra $10k on top of what I gave him just to pay it off.. Oooouch!
I wish you all the best, I have a 2015 Big Horn Ecodiesel with 94,500 miles. My truck experienced the following, Two blown turbos, Two starters, replaced two Radios with Navigation. Currently at dealer for a new EGR cooler and one SCR Catalyst and numerous sensors and waterpump. I am also getting front shocks installed covered by my maxcare warranty.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
the engine is like a time bomb just. waiting to explode a tune and delete gets rid of all the soot running through the motor plus get rid of the code probllem

Cj60

May 8, 2020
Truck Year
I'll have to look up the delete procedure. Aside from cost, I need to see how complicated it is to take the stuff off the truck. I have limited mobility to be crawling around the engine compartment.

reeltex

Feb 17, 2020
Truck Year
UPDATE: New Dealer changed EGR and cleaned the intake. They also replaced the coolant. I insisted they do an oil change and they did it at no charge (it did not show up as part of warranty work on the receipt). Just got back from a 500 mile r/t from a family vacation to the lake. I pulled a 19' boat. Truck did great. I checked the coolant level before going and coming. It was right where it should be (before it was always low).

The Tech at the Dealership has a Ram EcoDiesel (2015 or 2016 can't remember) and he likes the motor. Its a big dealership in Houston and the dude works on them all the time. I would think if it was such a horrible motor he wouldn't own one. He said to change the fuel filter every 20K miles and clean injectors and the motor will have far less problems.

I am still a bit confused on what rev EGR they installed. The Maintenance Manager said this is a newer EGR but I would still get a letter to replace again when the recall gets to the 2016s. I don't know if there is an even later rev or he just thinks it is a good idea to go ahead and get a new one at no cost to me. I logged into my MOPAR account and it still shows an active recall on the EGR.