• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EGR Cooler Failure

John

Nov 13, 2015
What about the new Fed law on deleting any factory emission contr.ol now is a felony????
Not too sure it's a felony for the end user. It might apply more so to the manufactures of emissions delete kits. etc.

John

Nov 13, 2015
It looks to be a civil offense and not felony against a variety of parties, including manufacturers, importers, distributors, and consultants.

"EPA may seek civil penalties or injunctive relief (including remediation of the violations and projects to offset excess emissions) for violations of the Act and regulations, and may bring cases in federal district court or through an administrative process. Enforcement actions include cases against a variety of parties, including manufacturers, importers, distributors, and consultants.

Violators are subject to civil penalties up to $45,268 per noncompliant vehicle or engine, $4,527 per tampering event or sale of defeat device, and $45,268 per day for reporting and recordkeeping violations. 42 U.S.C. § 7524; 40 C.F.R. § 19.4. The EPA often uses the Mobile Source Civil Penalty Policy to arrive at an appropriate civil penalty for vehicle and engine enforcement settlements."

More details here https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/clean-air-act-vehicle-and-engine-enforcement-case-resolutions

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
That is some great information and some fascinating reading! Thanks (although I don't pretend to be able to interpret all the legal jargon)
I read almost every case going back 4 years and couldn't find the FCA settlement. Nothing about GDE or PPEI etc. those may be ongoing? There were a couple small cases that resulted in fines of about $425.00, yes $425.00 for the PROFESSIONAL installation of a defeat product from a small shop. I could not find one example of an individual end user being fined. Not saying it hasn't happened, that just isn't in there.

This is from the air enforcement page:
  • Tampering. The CAA prohibits anyone from tampering with an emission control device on a motor vehicle by removing it or making it inoperable prior to or after the sale or delivery to the buyer. A vehicle's emission control system is designed to limit emissions of harmful pollutants from vehicles or engines. EPA works with manufacturers to ensure that they design their components with tamper-proofing, addresses trade groups to educate mechanics about the importance of maintaining the emission control systems, and prosecutes cases where significant or imminent harm is occurring.

K.Rodgers

Jan 27, 2020
Truck Year
Hey Guys, I'm new here but I have read a lot of good information ya'll have posted. Anyway I Have a 2016 I bought used earlier in the year. It had 44K miles and seemed to be in great shape. I recently had the Emissions Recall done at 65K and as many of you stated, lost some power and fuel mileage. That's not really my issue though. Shortly after, I found that I was losing coolant but no visible leaks. Reading through the posts, it seemed that my EGR cooler had failed. I took it into my local dealer to be looked at and they agreed it was a Cooler issue. This is where the BS begins. So there was a cooler available at another dealer but we were informed there was another recall on the EGR Cooler Bushings. The Bushings are being updated Jan 20, 2020 per recall V02 I believe. In the mean time the dealers in my area will not perform any EGR cooler replacements without the updated bushings. They are being told they will not be reimbursed from Chrysler if they do so. So in a nutshell I was told to continue to add coolant as needed, until the bushings come available in 2 freakin months. I would just delete the whole damn thing but I will lose all my extended warranty. And looking at all the issues ya'll are discussing, I'll need the warranty for sure. That's what I get for downsizing from the 2500 I guess. Thoughts?
I have a 2016 with 74450 mile and the EGR cooler failed last night and caught on fire. Damage is all at the intake. Fortunately the fire was small and did not spread. I’m waiting to see what FCA will do. Be careful driving it.

Mcgrathfx

Dec 19, 2019
Truck Year
Sorry for the delay, it's in the Ecodiesel settlement warranty.
Hi Will_CathVT
Dealership is now saying they won't pay for rental past 1 month and I still can't find the Ecodiesel settlement warranty. I only have the Extended Emission Warranty 3.0L Diesel document from FCA. Could you direct me to the actual wording pertaining to a loaner or rental car? Thanks in advance, Michael

ScotttA

Jan 10, 2020
Truck Year
Spoke with my local Dodge dealer(Newark, OH) on Feb 12th, 2020 and presumably there are 700+ of the new EGR coolers making their way to the 'front lines'.
No actual promise date provided yet but this is the 1st update in the cooler recall saga that I'm aware of since I started following this fiasco.

boosti

Feb 17, 2020
Truck Year
My 2015 Big Horn Ecodiesel is sitting at the dealer since December 20th, I received two calls that the part was on the way to the dealer from back in January and learned that the part was held up because the dealer it was getting it from decided to keep it. Last week the service manager called me that the part arrived and my truck should be ready by late Friday. It’s Tuesday and haven’t heard anything back about my vehicle. I know the class action lawsuit has a provision that allows you to follow up on a buyback if the vehicle is not repaired in 30 days. I will give it another day and will call the law firm that handled the class action lawsuit. I am sure the law firm will collect a fee from FCA since it was an agreement as part of the settlement.

Holymoly

Oct 25, 2019
Truck Year
One reason they don't want you to have their loaner over 30 days, maybe it proves you have been in disrepair under the AEM Law and they are subject to buy it back.
My brother picked his up 2 days ago. They replaced the cooler but not the bushing/ seals.....yesterday the fluid is running out and puddles on the street.
He had the loaner vehicle for nearly 3 weeks pro to the replacement cooler.
Today they suggest to him it's condensate line. lol The service guys seen the pink coolant running out of his truck.
30 days down and a buyback based on AEM warranty.
One dealership near me won't put any new ecodiesels on their lot because of the reputation of the ED.

boosti

Feb 17, 2020
Truck Year
I picked up my vehicle and still continue to have the strong coolant odor after the dealer replaced the EGR cooler. I guess it’s time to call the law firm that handled this settlement. They probably can get things done faster.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
I have a 2016 with 74450 mile and the EGR cooler failed last night and caught on fire. Damage is all at the intake. Fortunately the fire was small and did not spread. I’m waiting to see what FCA will do. Be careful driving it.
File a complaint with NHTSA, FCA will dodge and make you claim on your insurance.