• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EGR Cooler leaking

Gunpackingsaint

May 21, 2016
Truck Year
I'm at 47,600 miles and noticed my coolant level was low. Went straight to EGR and it looks like I might hace an O ring issue. I do have a MaxCare warranty that expires at 75,000 miles. I do like my truck but I'm contemplating trading it in for something else OR going the GDE route and possible delete.

I'm told the tune would disable the EGR but doesn't necessarily mean it would stop the coolant leak would it? I still have to replace my O rings (assuming that's the issue) correct?
6319f10267f4618409c2efc750ff9f1d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

skir

Oct 13, 2017
Truck Year
Hello, I'm new to the group but glad to be here.

I really like my Eco but just got out of the dealer from having an overheating problem. Long story-short, the EGR cooler was leaking internally and had to be replaced. Coolant was being burned off so no external leak was present. At first the engine did not even show a code, so they replaced the thermostat. That lead to overheating again and this time a code appeared. Hope that is the end of it, I put anywhere from 500-1000 miles a week on this truck and need it to run!
KWC

skir

Oct 13, 2017
Truck Year

I really like my Eco but just got out of the dealer from having an overheating problem. Long story-short, the EGR cooler was leaking internally and had to be replaced. Coolant was being burned off so no external leak was present. At first the engine did not even show a code, so they replaced the thermostat. That lead to overheating again and this time a code appeared. Hope that is the end of it, I put anywhere from 500-1000 miles a week on this truck and need it to run!
KWC
I had the same issue with my Eco Diesel, they started by replacing the EGR cooler, that did not resolve the issue, so they started, now at my expense, parts that could leak, water pump, all the hoses ($600) small valves in the cooling system, my friends kept telling me and I kept telling the dealer it was a head gasket, but they would not look at it, I made 6 trips to the dealer, 150 miles each trip, several times they kept the truck overnight, so a rental car and another 150 mile drive, it took months and over 1000 miles of driving before they agreed to look to see if it was a blown head gasket. It was a blown head gasket, they had to take the body off the truck to get the injectors out, breaking one off in the head because the head it was so rusty so they had to replace one of the heads too. They had to find parts that took a couple of weeks, but after a long time the dealer had replaced the head and both head gaskets and it has been great ever since. Boy am I glad it was under warranty, I only had a couple of hundred miles left on the warranty when this whole thing started. So, if replacing the EGR cooler does not to the trick, push for looking at the head gaskets.

Ecobummer

Feb 13, 2016
2015 ecodiesel tradesman 4x4 3.0turbo
Ok so I just did my 121,000 mile oil change and I noticed coolant dripping from the under carriage. Checked coolant and it was low. I have only added about 2 quarts of coolant since I bought it brand new. I did some research and did a coolant pressure test. I brought truck up to running temp. I drilled a hole through the rubber grommet and put a barb with a 1/4" hose off it. I placed the grommet over coolant res. with a nice tight seal and placed the end off the hose in some water. I see no kind of noticeable smoke coming from tail pipe. I got no bubbles on the up idle. I think this is good news. This test is supposed to determine if you have a bad head gasket or bad EGR cooler. I hope I'm in the clear.

So if the coolant system is holding pressure how can I be loosing coolant. It looks like the coolant is leaking from egr cooler. Almost certain of that. But how does it leak without bleeding air into system? Egr cooler Oring replace @ 97,000 mile mark. No noticeable difference that I can tell? It still had a faint smell of radiator fluid when at running temp. Still had corrosion around valve. Look at pics. below.

Is it safe to just make some plates and eliminate the egr all together running the gde hot tune. Also I have been running GDE tune for about 35,000 miles now and that EGR looks pretty dirty. I was under the impression that running the truck a bit hotter would burn off some of that carbon?

Getting ready to make a big trip and don't want to do end up on the side of the road. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0027.jpg
    IMG_0027.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0038.jpg
    IMG_0038.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
With the tube and plenum that wet it looks like the EGR is leaking, and some of the coolant is bypassing the EGR Valve.

My guess remove the EGR valve and its going to be stuck open some.

Ecobummer

Feb 13, 2016
I guess I'm wondering if it would be safe to plate off the egr diffuser tube on both ends with the valve being stuck open? I am handy enough to do that procedure. A complete delete not so much. Is this radiator fluid being cycled into the motor or is it just being burnt off in exhaust?

wales534

Oct 7, 2019
Truck Year
i am having the same issue now, caught before it could overheat. wondering if i should continue with this truck or upgrade to a cummins? Thoughts?

KWC
Mine is in getting the cooler changed right now! I really dislike this EGR system.

Richard Kennedy

Jul 11, 2018
Truck Year
I replaced my EGR cooler at 66000 km at a cost of $ 3000.00 No good will from dealer very disappointed

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
yea and imagen what r they going 2 do for parts they r already on backorder if u keep on playing with these problems u will be putting a engine in the truck antifreeze will eat the bearings out of the engine

EcoRecallSucks

Nov 17, 2019
Truck Year
I just had my EGR cooler replaced on my Jeep. It took 9 weeks for parts. Some bushings were updated and they are made in Italy. I was told in September they are expediting the part to get it here in October. I just got my Jeep back because they only send 1 when it needs 2. The dealer took the 1 from the other vehicle waiting on it and used it on mine since it was there 9 weeks. They also replaced all the fuel lines and injectors trying to fix the horrible lag from idle to 2,000 rpms.

So I hope they have parts for the new recall for all of you.

Tmmilliron

Nov 23, 2019
Truck Year
I have a 2015 ram 1500 laramie longhorn ecodiesel with just over 62000 miles.

So my truck is currently at the dealer to have the egr cooler replaced. Took it in after it started overheating, consuming large amounts of coolant (about 5 gallons in 4 weeks), and I saw about the recall on google chrome.

When I first went to the dealership to check on the recall they checked my vin and it wasn't under recall. I showed them the website and they did some research on the egr cooler. They dug a little deeper and told if it was the egr cooler it was still covered under the emissions warranty. Which they told.me is good until 70000 miles. So we made an appointment for the following Tuesday.

I drop the truck off and they recheck the vin and there is a now a recall on the egr cooler. But I didn't think anything about it because it was covered under the emissions warranty. Well the service manager took charge of everything and called me to inform me that the recall was for the egr cooler bit there was currently no fix for it. I was going to have to wait until I got a second notice from Ram . (Which I haven't received a first notice.) while keeping an eye on the coolant levels. I explained how much fluid it was losing, with no evidence of a leak and he said let me check with my service tech and call you back.

3 hours later with no return call I stop in to check on the truck and see if I can take it home. He proceeds to tell me about the recall again and how I would have to wait. I finally asked about the emissions warranty i was told about when I made the appointment. So he looks that up and agrees that it would cover it, but we would have to make a new appointment for the next Monday.

So I drop it off the next Monday having to put another 1.5 gallons in it the day after I left the service department. It takes them until Thursday afternoon to take it apart and confirm it is the egr cooler and order the parts. I finally receive a phone call to share this information with me. They also inform me the parts had to be special ordered with some being back ordered with no arrival eta. So I spent this week trying to get information on when the parts will arrive after being told they were scheduled to arrive Monday. I was told on Tuesday morning they were suppose to arrive that day by UPS. Wednesday afternoon I call them back and get told that all the parts came in except the egr cooler and bushing. Then she asked if I was sitting down and told me the egr cooler is scheduled to ship on December 2nd and the bushing is scheduled to ship on January 23rd. I I almost stopped breathing. She checked with the parts department to see if they could cancel the special order and order a different way, but was told that they couldn't do that.

Then it took me two more days to get some type of loaner vehicle lined up. They finally got a rental lined upnformus to pick up on Monday morning.

So now I am just waiting to see when the parts actually arrive. They said they could possibly come earlier, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

EcoRecallSucks

Nov 17, 2019
Truck Year
I have a 2015 ram 1500 laramie longhorn ecodiesel with just over 62000 miles.

So my truck is currently at the dealer to have the egr cooler replaced. Took it in after it started overheating, consuming large amounts of coolant (about 5 gallons in 4 weeks), and I saw about the recall on google chrome.

When I first went to the dealership to check on the recall they checked my vin and it wasn't under recall. I showed them the website and they did some research on the egr cooler. They dug a little deeper and told if it was the egr cooler it was still covered under the emissions warranty. Which they told.me is good until 70000 miles. So we made an appointment for the following Tuesday.

I drop the truck off and they recheck the vin and there is a now a recall on the egr cooler. But I didn't think anything about it because it was covered under the emissions warranty. Well the service manager took charge of everything and called me to inform me that the recall was for the egr cooler bit there was currently no fix for it. I was going to have to wait until I got a second notice from Ram . (Which I haven't received a first notice.) while keeping an eye on the coolant levels. I explained how much fluid it was losing, with no evidence of a leak and he said let me check with my service tech and call you back.

3 hours later with no return call I stop in to check on the truck and see if I can take it home. He proceeds to tell me about the recall again and how I would have to wait. I finally asked about the emissions warranty i was told about when I made the appointment. So he looks that up and agrees that it would cover it, but we would have to make a new appointment for the next Monday.

So I drop it off the next Monday having to put another 1.5 gallons in it the day after I left the service department. It takes them until Thursday afternoon to take it apart and confirm it is the egr cooler and order the parts. I finally receive a phone call to share this information with me. They also inform me the parts had to be special ordered with some being back ordered with no arrival eta. So I spent this week trying to get information on when the parts will arrive after being told they were scheduled to arrive Monday. I was told on Tuesday morning they were suppose to arrive that day by UPS. Wednesday afternoon I call them back and get told that all the parts came in except the egr cooler and bushing. Then she asked if I was sitting down and told me the egr cooler is scheduled to ship on December 2nd and the bushing is scheduled to ship on January 23rd. I I almost stopped breathing. She checked with the parts department to see if they could cancel the special order and order a different way, but was told that they couldn't do that.

Then it took me two more days to get some type of loaner vehicle lined up. They finally got a rental lined upnformus to pick up on Monday morning.

So now I am just waiting to see when the parts actually arrive. They said they could possibly come earlier, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

EcoRecallSucks

Nov 17, 2019
Truck Year
Enjoy the wait. I would make sure they ordered the 2 bushings that are being made in Italy because they order 1 thinking it is a set when it isn't. My whole ordeal to 3 months to fix from the 1st visit to eventually no vehicle for 9 weeks. The communication is terrible from the parts factory.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
This is reality for 2014-19 3.0 Owners. DO NOT let Fiat/VM tire you OUT, stay on them, Do this discreetly and see what Happens, Investigate Buy backs or turn in Options..Press the envelop... IMO stay away from legal proceedings, until no Other option..

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
you are going to ruin what is left of the motor antifreeze Kills a motor ir eats the bearings out of it if u have a y left after all that antifreeze u already burned

Bob Pierce

Dec 18, 2018
Truck Year
Mine is in getting the cooler changed right now! I really dislike this EGR system.
Just the start of problems the antifreeze is going into your cylinders the intake manifold has carbon buildup like mine did then it will burn like mine did waiting for parts is a joke. My advice get rid of the truck like I did while you can before nobody wants it the eco diesel ram is a nightmare that doesn’t end