• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EGR failure

Tony Jimenez

Nov 16, 2019
Truck Year
I'm new to the forum.
I have a 2018 Ram 1500 with 30000 I had a hole in the in take manifold, and bad EGR cooler. Now I found out there a recall on the EGR cooler. Anyone know about this?

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
October 24, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V757000
EGR Cooler May Crack and Cause Fire
Combustion in the intake manifold can increase the risk of a fire.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V757000
Manufacturer Chrysler (FCA US LLC)
Components ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
Potential Number of Units Affected 107,979
Summary
Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain 2014-2019 Ram 1500 and 1500 Classic Pickup trucks equipped with 3.0L Eco Diesel engines. The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) cooler may crack and allow pre-heated vaporized coolant to enter the EGR system. This mixture may combust inside the intake manifold.
Remedy
The remedy for this recall is still under development. The recall is expected to begin December 13, 2019. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is VB1.
Notes
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
welcome 2 the group sooner or later every thing on these ecos go bad sorry 2 hear about your problems

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
I'm new to the forum.
I have a 2018 Ram 1500 with 30000 I had a hole in the in take manifold, and bad EGR cooler. Now I found out there a recall on the EGR cooler. Anyone know about this?
no parts r available they r to announce about recall December 3

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Truck, Trans, DL, Suspension is great, VM 3.0 Sucks.

NickEcoDiesel

Nov 20, 2019
Truck Year
I'm new to the forum.
i got the same problem the dealer change it for me for free it has recal

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
there is a recall but there is no parts the actual recall has not been started yet I think they r going 2 send notices out 2 week in december

Eric T

Nov 9, 2019
Truck Year
We had a check engine light come on a few weeks ago yesterday they change the complete EGR system will this be an updated one or the same one that might crack and cause a fire?

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
it has 2 b the updated system they r changing a lot of these coolers they r backordered

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Called my insurance company (Allstate) to see if I was covered if it caught on fire since it’s a recall and they had no answer. Lol

Eric T

Nov 9, 2019
Truck Year
Stop at the dealer to check if the EGR System they replaced in our truck yesterday is the old style or the new and improved style for the recall They weren’t sure we’re going to look into it and let us know when they find out??

Tony Jimenez

Nov 16, 2019
Truck Year
Stop at the dealer to check if the EGR System they replaced in our truck yesterday is the old style or the new and improved style for the recall They weren’t sure we’re going to look into it and let us know when they find out??

Tony Jimenez

Nov 16, 2019
Truck Year
Mine was just Two weeks ago it was the old style, that's how I found out about the recall.

BennyLaFleur

Nov 1, 2019
Truck Year
Stopped by the dealer on Nov,29, he ordered the following parts. bushings 68490221AA and cooler kit 68483334AA.
I called FCA and was told that these are the part numbers for the improved style.

MXZ0588

Mar 24, 2020
Truck Year
Stopped by the dealer on Nov,29, he ordered the following parts. bushings 68490221AA and cooler kit 68483334AA.
I called FCA and was told that these are the part numbers for the improved style.
I just got off the phone with FCA and the rep claimed there is still no parts available to fix the issue. They instructed me to contact my local dealer that could offer a loaner or a rental vehicle at their expense if I do not feel safe driving my truck. Has anyone taken them up on this offer? I would much rather have my truck sitting in my climate controlled garage than in the dealers lot for months and drive a rental on there dime.

boosti

Feb 17, 2020
Truck Year
I just got off the phone with FCA and the rep claimed there is still no parts available to fix the issue. They instructed me to contact my local dealer that could offer a loaner or a rental vehicle at their expense if I do not feel safe driving my truck. Has anyone taken them up on this offer? I would much rather have my truck sitting in my climate controlled garage than in the dealers lot for months and drive a rental on there dime.
The latest information going around is that the new EGR cooler is not available. The EGR coolers that replaced the leaking EGR are still causing issues. My EGR cooler was replaced in February and still causes the coolant smell. The AEM software update is running at a higher temperature which is causing cracks. It’s only a matter of time before the leaks starts again. Best advice is keep an eye on the coolant level and keep calling FCA and the dealer for a loaner vehicle. The class action lawsuit will give you that flexibility now.

MXZ0588

Mar 24, 2020
Truck Year
The latest information going around is that the new EGR cooler is not available. The EGR coolers that replaced the leaking EGR are still causing issues. My EGR cooler was replaced in February and still causes the coolant smell. The AEM software update is running at a higher temperature which is causing cracks. It’s only a matter of time before the leaks starts again. Best advice is keep an eye on the coolant level and keep calling FCA and the dealer for a loaner vehicle. The class action lawsuit will give you that flexibility now.
Good info. Thanks for the response. Are you familiar with what the correct law firm is for the class action lawsuit? i've seen 3 or 4 different ones for the 14'-16' model year for emissions software. Mine is a 17', so i'm not eligible for that. Was there another lawsuit filed for the EGR caused fires you are referring too? Thanks.