• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EGR Question

Phaco

Feb 9, 2020
Truck Year
Hi everyone.

Not sure if this has ever been brought up here, is so please direct me to the thread.

Does anyone know if you can simply unplug the EGR in a 2015 ECO? I am assuming that when the truck is off the valve is closed and unplugging it would keep it closed. The idea is no gases (or a limited amount of gas) would travel through to the EGR if I unplugged it. I do not mine having a CEL light on so long as the EGR is closed. If I can do this, then I think I would just do a stage 1 delete.

Thanks in advanced

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
Hi everyone.

Not sure if this has ever been brought up here, is so please direct me to the thread.

Does anyone know if you can simply unplug the EGR in a 2015 ECO? I am assuming that when the truck is off the valve is closed and unplugging it would keep it closed. The idea is no gases (or a limited amount of gas) would travel through to the EGR if I unplugged it. I do not mine having a CEL light on so long as the EGR is closed. If I can do this, then I think I would just do a stage 1 delete.

Thanks in advanced
Hi, welcome!
Can't really recommend it, but it has already been done and yes it trips the CEL but still runs fine.

Phaco

Feb 9, 2020
Truck Year
no operational changes. Only the CeL light being on. I've traveled about 600 miles and a few regens. Everyting seems okay

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
I was to understand that it wont regen if the check engine light is on

John

Nov 13, 2015
It's my understanding there's no benefit in simply unplugging the EGR.

Phaco

Feb 9, 2020
Truck Year
I am only reporting my results and applying general principles (since this is mechanical in nature). If valve is closed, in principle gases should never be sorted to the egr (although I am sure there is some breakthough gas exhaust. I can check the diffuser tube at 1K to see the soot)

John

Nov 13, 2015
Are you unplugging the vacuum line? If you are disconnecting the vacuum line does not shut off the egr at all. All it does is keep it from using the bypass circuit. This is not a good thing to do.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Unplugging the bypass does little as suggested., It will trigger rationale code form Time to time happens more often in warm summer months. I ran the bypass unplugged for 14 months. Its a bypass it will NOT close entirely. Just leave it plug in and save yourself the hassle.

Defeat egr 3.0 - Copy - Copy.jpg

Defeat egr 3.0 1 - Copy.jpg

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I also partially block My EGR, again it did very little in stopping the copious amounts of Exhaust gases the 3.0VM ED produces, its simply the most soot producing small engine I have ever encountered.

If you want to block the Tube its 9/32 size hole, even 1/4 sized triggered rationale code immediately. It triggered the rationale code about 1-2 times a mouth at 9/32.
Ecodiesel EGR Capped 1 - Copy.jpg

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
Are you unplugging the vacuum line? If you are disconnecting the vacuum line does not shut off the egr at all. All it does is keep it from using the bypass circuit. This is not a good thing to do.
I unplugged the electrical connector on mine, and yes theres a CEL for open EGR circuit. Valve obviously stays closed because egr temp probe barely exceeds coolant temp running thru cooler. I'd like to pull the diffuser tube and clean it up and then recheck in awhile, see if it stays clean.
This is my method of keeping the heat stress out of this fault prone egr cooler since they can't complete recall anyway!

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
I was to understand that it wont regen if the check engine light is on
I wonder if it would depend what the CEL is from? Say the pressure differential sensors are out of range then it maybe wouldnt regen as it wouldn't know when to start and stop, possibly? Anyway, egr is closed while it does regens and it seems to do them the same as when the valve is plugged in

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The EGR valve is downstream of coolant exchanger. Yes You stop the gases from entering the Intake plenum. The heat is still in the chamber / exchanger. IMO your adding heat/stress to the exchanger increasing your risk of failure, Coolant leak. Yes its close during Active / Stationary Regens, The question to ask yourself is time VS risk, Regens are what % of driving closed vs Shutdown 100%

If your going to shutdown the EGR Valve by unplugging it, Why NOT remove the exchanger altogether.

Green Diesel

Nov 17, 2015
Truck Year
I unplugged the electrical connector on mine, and yes theres a CEL for open EGR circuit. Valve obviously stays closed because egr temp probe barely exceeds coolant temp running thru cooler. I'd like to pull the diffuser tube and clean it up and then recheck in awhile, see if it stays clean.
This is my method of keeping the heat stress out of this fault prone egr cooler since they can't complete recall anyway!

Monitor your DEF consumption. It will increase substantially and eventually have issues. The exhaust repair for over dosing and destroying the SCR washcoat should be less than $3000, it may take 10,000-20,000 miles for this to happen.

Phaco

Feb 9, 2020
Truck Year
I simply unplugged the EGR, I believe it was a red plug next to the temperature senor (blue). I didn't mess with the vacuum line that goes to the actuator, cuz i felt that unplugging the EGR would simply turn everything off.

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
The EGR valve is downstream of coolant exchanger. Yes You stop the gases from entering the Intake plenum. The heat is still in the chamber / exchanger. IMO your adding heat/stress to the exchanger increasing your risk of failure, Coolant leak. Yes its close during Active / Stationary Regens, The question to ask yourself is time VS risk, Regens are what % of driving closed vs Shutdown 100%

If your going to shutdown the EGR Valve by unplugging it, Why NOT remove the exchanger altogether.
How do you get the hot gases to travel down stream to the exchanger, if you're not letting cooled gases to travel to the plenum? Obviously there is some radiant thermal effect but egr temp definitely stays low.
This is a fix that can be undone by reconnecting plug and clearing code to visit dealer once they have recall egr available

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
Monitor your DEF consumption. It will increase substantially and eventually have issues. The exhaust repair for over dosing and destroying the SCR washcoat should be less than $3000, it may take 10,000-20,000 miles for this to happen.
I do so little continuous travel, that by the time everything is hot that it needs DEF I'm usually there. I'll try and gauge it but it lasts so long that its hard to do.
Maybe this is where diluting the DEF with distilled water would help.......😉

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
How do you get the hot gases to travel down stream to the exchanger, if you're not letting cooled gases to travel to the plenum? Obviously there is some radiant thermal effect but egr temp definitely stays low.
This is a fix that can be undone by reconnecting plug and clearing code to visit dealer once they have recall egr available

I see your point, With My WITECH , I monitored that thermocouple pass the EGR Vale and Exchanger with infrared gun, it was still 200-300F.
The bypass valve does NOT stop the Heat/Gases. I even cap the Plenum and made My own tube from EGR Valve to atmosphere. It still triggered rationale codes. Keith GDE mentioned what you are doing the SCR/DPF and I agree 100%. if you keep messing with the EGR W/O tuning or capping it ( Capping it still will cause problems W/O Tuning) . You must delete or Hope Keith can work on road CAA COC tuning that will extend the life of the entire system that is so plagued with problems.

If you have 2014-16 Ecodiesel run lower concentrate of Urea Mix 50% DEF / 50% Distilled Water to eliminate DEF Injector/pump crystallization.
Another ratio 2.5 Gallons DEF to 1 Gallon DS.

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
Yeah, I do find the scr issue concerning, but running the engine without the egr threatening to melt down the intake with 400+F gases coming in is much more relaxing!