• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EGR Valve Issues

John

Nov 13, 2015
The coolant can also go into the EGR diffuser pipe and into your intake. That would more likely explain the poor running - its burning coolant. Park it is my advice.
Correct. Into the intake and out the exhaust and that's never a good thing.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
Correct. Into the intake and out the exhaust and that's never a good thing.
that's what blew up all those Ford 6.0 engines. The EGR cooler failed, the coolant went through the turbo into the cylinders, the water expanded in the cylinders and the pressure blew out the head bolts. I am not kidding when I say EGR's are the devil!

bcampbell05

Mar 11, 2019
Truck Year
Yea I appreciate the info. I have it parked and am going to use a rental until it’s fixed. Sucks I can’t wait it out; however, I called FCA and they gave me a case number and appear to be willing to work with me. Guess we will see what happens.

Thanks everyone for your help and input

John

Nov 13, 2015
Yea I appreciate the info. I have it parked and am going to use a rental until it’s fixed. Sucks I can’t wait it out; however, I called FCA and they gave me a case number and appear to be willing to work with me. Guess we will see what happens.

Thanks everyone for your help and input
Good luck. I hope they wind up working with you on this one. Enjoy your trip and the rental!

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year

jessicaw94

Oct 8, 2019
Truck Year
Ok guys....I just found this blog and have a 2014 Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel. On 9/28 I noticed while driving local errands in the morning that my heater wasn’t working. An hour of errands later, I parked in my driveway for 10 minutes then came back out to this:
A4DB9522-3457-47C1-92C4-2A93FB8272A5.jpeg0084A605-5F44-42F5-86F8-1A9027D40EE1.jpeg
Had it towed to the dealer and they didn’t say EGR specifically, but did say that there’s an internal coolant system that failed and basically sludged my entire motor and drive train. And that I’m basically SOL and to buy a new car.
You can’t see it in these pics but the coolant reservoir is empty and when the service advisor opened it in front of me there was a grey, jelly-like slime stuck to the inside of the cap, and chunks of this black stuff that you see in my driveway (it looks like oil but is very gelatinous with hardly any smell) in the reservoir. They said when the coolant and oil, and pressure of the engine mix, it’s like a chemistry project in there that produces that black slime.
I had previously taken it into the dealer on 9/2-ish for an oil change and the emissions recall repairs. Then RIP on 9/28 with zero check engine lights, zero smells / warnings /etc, except for the heater not working for the hour before it started pissing black sludge.
Has anyone had this black sludge issue and what was the dealers response?
I bought this car with that motor specifically for the longevity of diesel motors, which I clearly didn’t get here. I am not a litigious person but this “it happens” attitude I’m getting from jeep just doesn’t feel or sit right with me.
Please help.
thank you in advanced.
Jessica

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
welcome 2 the group keep us informed to what they say is wrong with your truck. maybe it will b covered with the extended warrenty

bergie

May 17, 2020
Truck Year
Just so everyone knows, we just purchased a brand new 2020 ram ecodiesel and immediately took a trip to California to visit our first grandchild. Returned to Seattle/Tacoma area without any issues. But immediately after returning with just 2,000 miles on the truck there was a momentary stutter like the engine was starved for fuel. That lasted for just a moment then went away. chalked that up to an anomaly but should have known better. The next morning I went out to start the truck which did without issue but when I put the truck into drive, it started to stutter/almost die. Let it sit for another moment or so and still it would not run. Shut it off and called the service department. They arranged to tow it in. While waiting for the tow I went out and started the truck again. Started right up. put it in drive and proceeded to drive it around the block. No issues. I did let the service department know but had it towed in anyway. When the tech put the computer on it should every cylinder had been missing. Since it was the weekend there was no diesel tech on that day. This morning service called to say the EGR valve was stuck in the open position. Odd for certain but what is even worse for us is that the EGR are on back order and it could be anywhere from a few days to weeks. Definitely was not expecting this issue with a brand new engine and truck. Wanted to let everyone know that this issue can happen at any time although I am disappointed at not getting the truck repaired quickly since there should always be EGR components in the parts department. Good luck and good driving to my fellow ecodiesel owners.
Regards, Bergie

Cj60

May 8, 2020
Truck Year
Wow, so not even a brand new ED has a reliable engine?!?... What a joke, but not funny at all. Now I know why the old codger sold me the truck for so cheap, and being a typical person of today said not one word about the recall issues (but according to FCA has collected the $3800). He said he was selling as his wife fell several times getting in and out of it.
I wonder if semi trucks have to have all this Kalifornia crap on their motors.