• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Electronic Throttle Control

Larry Cole

Oct 7, 2019
Truck Year
Purchased a 2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel 6 cylinder with 84k miles I've put about 2k miles on it. Was loving it until today when headed home the engine started running wide open and the "service electronic throttle control" warning came on ... had it towed to the dealership ... headed there in the morning ... would like to know if anyone could give me a heads up on what might be going on ... so I have an idea about what to DISCUSS with the service manager. Thanks

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
welcome 2 the group never heard if one running wide open before maybe every thing is all carboned up

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
Purchased a 2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel 6 cylinder with 84k miles I've put about 2k miles on it. Was loving it until today when headed home the engine started running wide open and the "service electronic throttle control" warning came on ... had it towed to the dealership ... headed there in the morning ... would like to know if anyone could give me a heads up on what might be going on ... so I have an idea about what to DISCUSS with the service manager. Thanks
when you did wide open, were you holding the brakes to do a tire spin? holding brakes and throttle pedal will trigger this code as the computer thinks the throttle is stuck when you tap the brakes. Other than that, check the MAP sensor for caked on carbon.

Engineersaab54

Sep 21, 2019
Truck Year
Did your incident involve a lot of smoke? I've had my 2016 Ram 1500 for about two months, has 36,000 miles on it. Was heading out of town on a trip on Friday and the same thing happened to me. Blew white smoke out the engine compartment and both tailpipes, leaving a white coating with tiny white pellets in the pipes. At first I thought the engine was on fire. Had it towed to the dealership. They had a look at it this morning and are going to clean the injectors and reset or reinstall the latest software. Wife did a lot of online research on the issue over the weekend and some are saying that merely cleaning the injectors will not accomplish a permanent fix, but that they must be replaced. Dealer says they've never done that, and that a "star-case, or precedent, or link" (or something like that), indicates that the place to start is with cleaning the injectors and making sure the software is up to date.
Some of the research indicated that if your ecodiesel has this problem it could be an every-35,000-mile issue! Check engine light had been coming on intermittently for a month. Owner's manual says it will typically go off within three of your normal driving cycles. Never took that long to go off in my case. Scuttle on line says check engine light coming on and off is no big deal. Dealer says computer will save a record of what caused the light to come on intermittently. They will be researching that today.