• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine airfilter

Sailorjoe

Feb 23, 2019
Truck Year
So I feel a bit stupid as I have been worrying about a drop in mileage from the typical 22-23 mpg around town in the summer and 20-21 in the winter down to 18 in the winter. I live in upstate NY so winter can be cold. So I have been thinking all sorts of bad thoughts about whats going on having read other postings on this and other forums.
The other day I fitted a new air filter and what a difference. Mileage is back where it should be and truck has all sorts of get up and go.
Old filter did not look dirty but obviously was restricted. It had 25K miles since last changed.
Message to self.
Replace air filter regularly at 10 to 15K miles

Jerod

Jun 15, 2019
Truck Year
Does K&N make a air filter for the ecodiesel and does it work righr?

Swashplate97

Jul 7, 2019
Truck Year
Ive been running the K&N since my odometer had 250 miles on it. Main reason I installed it was because I lived out in the desert with lots of dust storms and I wanted the oil in the filter to stop it from making it into the engine. Noticed quicker throttle response and slightly better mpg with it. If there is any improvement in hp, its not been noticed by me. As far as the mpg, it gets me about an extra 3-4. Just remember to de-grease and recharge it routinely depending on your environment.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Ive been running the K&N since my odometer had 250 miles on it. Main reason I installed it was because I lived out in the desert with lots of dust storms and I wanted the oil in the filter to stop it from making it into the engine. Noticed quicker throttle response and slightly better mpg with it. If there is any improvement in hp, its not been noticed by me. As far as the mpg, it gets me about an extra 3-4. Just remember to de-grease and recharge it routinely depending on your environment.
I'm surprised to hear there's any increase in MPG since the stock filters flows more air than the turbo can handle,

Swashplate97

Jul 7, 2019
Truck Year
I'm surprised to hear there's any increase in MPG since the stock filters flows more air than the turbo can handle,
Yeah, I went from 26-27 mpg to about 30-31 on my 65 mile cruises in northern NV. I have driven the same ever since I bought the truck.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
If those filters did anything near those numbers - even .1 mpg more, the automakers would use them. They don't.

They also don't use them because they allow fine particulate to slip by the filter when they are not perfectly maintained.

Swashplate97

Jul 7, 2019
Truck Year
I never tried to endorse them, just stating my experiences with it. Your right, there is some upkeep on them, I clean and recharge about every 3k. The recharge kit is still way cheaper than a new paper filter and I have recharged mine 4 times off the same $12 recharge kit.

John

Nov 13, 2015
We weren't thinking you were endorsing them. We were just saying in a nice way that the MPG gain is not possible.

Swashplate97

Jul 7, 2019
Truck Year
Again, just stating my results, guess I got the lucky filter or my MPG calculator is broken... got nothing else.. prior to buying my Ecodiesel, I had a 99 Silverado that gave me right about a 2 mpg increase on it(had to use math for that old thing) brought me right up to 18 mpg.

John

Nov 13, 2015
I don't know anything about the silverado, but the ecodiesel can't accept any additional airflow without a turbo upgrade.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Yes, fits stock air filter box. Have one in my 2014 RAM, works fine, have Oil Analysis to prove no increase in dirt ingestion. Clean properly, oil properly, no issues. Noticed no permanent increase in fuel mileage but performance is more consistent, and by the time I don't buy a paper air filter every 10K miles for the life of the truck I will be hundreds of dollars ahead.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
they r not recommend they will void warranty so I am told
FCA official stand is "no comment" or a large amount of legalese which amounts to "it depends on the dealer" as FCA does not void warranty for a K&N air filter.