• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine Braking option on Tunes - Pros and Cons?

TooClose Racing

Dec 20, 2017
Truck Year
Not Listed
It's the New Guy with the low mileage 2015 RAM - on the advice of my "diesel consultant", I have selected the engine (exhaust?) braking option for my GDE tune. And now I'm having second thoughts after 1) seeing a thread in this forum where an individual experienced some turbo-related damage and pointed the finger at this GDE feature, and 2) doing some reading that made the case for poorer mpg performance if your driving has a lot of off and on throttle (typically elevation changes related). On this 2nd point, I did see some suggested work-arounds (keep foot lightly on gas and it won't activate...). ANYWAY - feedback is a gift - should I with the option...or not? Thanks.

Luc_sko

May 29, 2019
Truck Year
I’ve had the turbo brake option for 60k+ miles now. Mileage is consistently 24-26. Little worse in the winter.

Never heard of a turbo failure and the finger being pointed at the turbo brake.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Poorer fuel mileage better on brakes if not towing a lot not necessary

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
It would be extremely unlikely Turbo braking would harm any Turbo UNLESS the Turbo was already on its way to self-destruct. Their is NO connection to decreasing Your mileage with VGT Braking....Their no such person as a Diesel consultant, either you know your stuff or not , Consultant just another hand holder with the other hand in Your wallet.

Bison Slayer

May 10, 2019
Truck Year
It's the New Guy with the low mileage 2015 RAM - on the advice of my "diesel consultant", I have selected the engine (exhaust?) braking option for my GDE tune. And now I'm having second thoughts after 1) seeing a thread in this forum where an individual experienced some turbo-related damage and pointed the finger at this GDE feature, and 2) doing some reading that made the case for poorer mpg performance if your driving has a lot of off and on throttle (typically elevation changes related). On this 2nd point, I did see some suggested work-arounds (keep foot lightly on gas and it won't activate...). ANYWAY - feedback is a gift - should I with the option...or not? Thanks.
My turbo went out at 140,000 miles and I dont have a GDE tune in it. So it could be just a fluke it happened with the tune.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The Turbo on the 3.0 is not a robust blower, if it makes 150K miles on DD use that means the owners was NOT abusive. W/WO tune.

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
NOTHING LAST FOR EVERY, including life.

TooClose Racing

Dec 20, 2017
Truck Year
Not Listed
Thanks for the feedback, guys. You've thoroughly addressed/trashed my turbo concern. ; - ) By the way TC Diesel, my "Diesel Consultant" is just a fellow engineer at my company with one of those Big Boy diesels in his late 2000s Ram, tune installed, various options checked. While my local terrain is no West Virginia, I do experience enough on/off throttle with area elevation changes here in upstate NY that I thought "nope - I'd rather coast, thank you very much..". So I unchecked the engine braking and let the GDE guys know. FYI - a $50 refund appeared in my PayPal just about immediately, so I'm impressed with my customer service experience so far.

Hmmm...LED bulbs next...let me go visit Amazon for a set of those NINEO II's that do wonders on my other (reflector housing) car.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
TooClose , Over the Decades I have lost ALL faith in the word "Engineer" The most Powerful Diesel's in the World are built by Private Innovations. NONE I know of have titles, Just Spokesmen.

On the Other Hand there's wisdom to be found in multitude of counselors.